Thread: Switching from att to cricket

Feedback Score

Switching from att to cricket

We have three iPhones on ATT. One 7, one 6 and one 4. My husband just pointed out that the four can't be updated past iOS 7. Will this be a problem? In researching the steps to switch, I see where you must have updated software. Will I need to purchase a newer phone? If so, where is the best place to find a newer model that's not $$$$.

Feedback Score
    I don't think Cricket would have different requirements than AT&T for devices. Unless iPhones are different, AT&T devices will work on Cricket without unlocking. However devices locked to Cricket won't work on AT&T. You should be able to buy Cricket SIMs and port over.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It will not be a technical problem for you to switch to Cricket with an iPhone 4. Just get your Cricket SIM card and put it in the phone!

Not sure how much money $$$$ refers to, but if you haven’t looked already, Cricket sells iPhones at subsidized prices. Maybe one of those will be suitable.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samandryanmom View Post
    We have three iPhones on ATT. One 7, one 6 and one 4. My husband just pointed out that the four can't be updated past iOS 7. Will this be a problem? In researching the steps to switch, I see where you must have updated software. Will I need to purchase a newer phone? If so, where is the best place to find a newer model that's not $$$$.
    if the iphone 4 can get AT&T's 3G then it should work fine. to find newer model iphones you can try ebay or swappa.com - https://swappa.com/

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    I'll mention that the AT&T Prepaid iPhone SEs work really nicely on Cricket, with the caveat that they cannot be unlocked unless you move them to AT&T Prepaid for six months. I've got two family members who either upgraded or replaced damaged iPhones with AT&T Prepaid SEs from Best Buy (one was $140, the other was about $200, depending on sales and the bundled refill card). Depending on how far into the future it would be, if we ever are looking to go to a Verizon or T-Mobile-based service with those, they'll camp out on AT&T Prepaid for six months or replace the phones.

As for using older devices, anything that supports AT&T's network will work on Cricket (AT&T shut down its 2G/EDGE network awhile back, so the oldest devices, including the original iPhone and most RAZRs won't work), but an iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, etc. should work with no problem. I've even used my Sony Ericsson Z750a from 2008 with no trouble on a spare line at one point. The only restriction would be their app requires a newer OS, but that's just for account management.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone!! I have no problems using the phone currently on ATT so I'm sure it will be fine. There are some apps that I can't run because of the age of the phone but most of the time that's not a problem. I'll be upgrading the phone later this year but just didn't want to do it now.
    Thanks again!!!

Feedback Score
    Okay so I went online to Cricket last night and activated the Cricket Sim and then put it in my phone and signed up for service. I ported my old att number over and now I have no service. Att says they have released the number. Cricket says the port was successful. I'm chatting with Cricket now. Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samandryanmom View Post
    Okay so I went online to Cricket last night and activated the Cricket Sim and then put it in my phone and signed up for service. I ported my old att number over and now I have no service. Att says they have released the number. Cricket says the port was successful. I'm chatting with Cricket now. Any ideas?
    Try restarting the phone ??

Feedback Score
    I recently also switched to cricket from ATT. We had an iPhone4 on the account and I was told the oldest phone that would work was the iPhone 5c/s. So we bought an cheap 5a on ebay

Feedback Score
    Restarted the phone and still no service. Took the card out, put the card in, restarted the phone, nothing.
    On the chat, I asked about the age of the phone and that I couldn't update the software past ios 7 and they said that as long as it was updated to that, it should be fine. I'm going to the Cricket store at lunch to see if they can check it. The operator mentioned the sim card may be bad. I bought them from Amazon. Also that phone may not be unlocked but I since number has been released and ported from ATT, I'm not sure if that would be the problem.

Feedback Score
    When I ported over from AT&T, I had a iPhone 4 and it worked without any problems. Perhaps it's a new thing?
    Your iPhone does not have to be unlocked by AT&T to work on Cricket.

Try borrowing a friend/co-worker/family member's phone and check if your SIM card is work properly. If not, you might have to purchase a new SIM.

Feedback Score
    Went to store and they checked sim in one of their phones and it worked fine. Checked and service was activated. Mentioned age of phone and at that point I was just done. Went ahead and bought a phone from the store. Tomorrow I'm going to add my teenagers lines and hopefully that will go more smoothly. Thanks for everyone's help.