Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop appears to be reducing free "friends" data from 500MB to 50MB max

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S6, Moto E LTE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    for the yearly freddompop plans are you required to use their (awful in my opinion) voip app? or does it now operate differently?
    I guess the alternative would be just using google voice, but just curious if they still push their app on those yearly plans
    I've had a free FreedomPop account for several years and have never used the FreedomPop app. It's only required if you want to use FreedomPop's voice and messaging services. I use Hangouts instead.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    I've had a free FreedomPop account for several years and have never used the FreedomPop app. It's only required if you want to use FreedomPop's voice and messaging services. I use Hangouts instead.
    Ditto.....

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    I didnt get good quality from the FP app or Hangouts. So I will not get a plan unless it has true network calling rather than VOIP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clocks11 View Post
    I didnt get good quality from the FP app or Hangouts. So I will not get a plan unless it has true network calling rather than VOIP.
    I never got it working well either, although others have said that for them it was just as good as cellular calling.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, then the FreedomPop AT&T LTE SIM plan would not be a good fit for your needs, unless you need it for an LTE data connection only for some other use.

Feedback Score
    Try the new GV beta - it has a built in VOIP dialer and doesn't need hangouts anymore. I've been using it for the last few days and the call quality is excellent.

Feedback Score
    i share similar sentiments.
    if this yearly plan is just more of the same fp, then i'll just go to red pocket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    However, like I said, I ordered the "FreedomPop 3-in-1 LTE SIM Kit 12-Month Prepaid Plan (Unlimited Talk, Text, & 1GB Data)" from Target, which for me is $3.82/mo, paid $45.84/yr ($44.99-$2.50 Red Card=$42.74+$0.21 e911+$2.89 Tax) for the 1GB (+50MB) of AT&T LTE data monthly.
    Boz (or anyone),

Do you know if those Target prepaid SIMs can be used in a mobile hotspot? I would like to replace my Freedompop Sprint hotspot with one of the GSM ones offered by Freedompop (or an unlocked hotspot from elsewhere) but I want to use the prepaid SIM rather than the one included with the hotspot. As an alternative, would it be possible to put one of the hotspot bundled SIMs on the $49.95 annual plan?

I received confusing answers from Freedompop support on Twitter when I asked this question.

Bill

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soetart View Post
    Boz (or anyone),

Do you know if those Target prepaid SIMs can be used in a mobile hotspot? I would like to replace my Freedompop Sprint hotspot with one of the GSM ones offered by Freedompop (or an unlocked hotspot from elsewhere) but I want to use the prepaid SIM rather than the one included with the hotspot. As an alternative, would it be possible to put one of the hotspot bundled SIMs on the $49.95 annual plan?

I received confusing answers from Freedompop support on Twitter when I asked this question.

Bill
    Yes you can. But in regards to a hotspot, you're honestly probably better off using an old Android phone that supports hotspot and AT&T's LTE bands. Most of the hotspots I've seen available for cheap are **** as far as band support (e.g. the Netgear one that FP sells for use on AT&T).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    Yes you can. But in regards to a hotspot, you're honestly probably better off using an old Android phone that supports hotspot and AT&T's LTE bands. Most of the hotspots I've seen available for cheap are **** as far as band support (e.g. the Netgear one that FP sells for use on AT&T).
    From what I understand, there is no way to convert a free plan or monthly plan SIM into an annual plan. I am guessing that the annual plan SIM would work in a hotspot, and I'm tempted to try it myself. The old phone idea is tempting but may not work -- FP says they do not support phone hotspot on their AT&T-based service. On my current phone it does not work.

Edit: If your older phone has custom ROM support, that may do the trick. Just tried a Moto G3 on which I recently installed LineageOS and hotspot worked fine with the basic plan SIM I had lying around. Only getting H+ though, not LTE, but dslreports.com/speedtest shows 7M down and 1M up.
    Last edited by aaopt; 07-11-2018 at 11:01 PM.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Audigy View Post
    That's to be expected, people clearly abused the system. It was pretty much granted that no matter what you can get FP friends, which we know circumvents the purpose of that freebie: referring the FP SIM/services to other people with the goal to bring them in. I'm surprised it took them this long...
    I am curious why you think this is an abuse. They made the rules and we followed them.
    And how do you know what their purpose was?
    OK. Had not read this yet.
    FreedomPop Update
    FreedomPop has been subject to targeted abuse by users leveraging multiple accounts to aggregate additional free data. We have tried to battle the abuse by adding conditions around accounts with no data usage over several months, but unfortunately we have been forced to limit the friends sharing program.
    The highlighted words. What does that even mean and how was that 'battleling the abuse'?????
    And 'several months'. Anyone notice anything? Anyone believe this explanation?
    Last edited by rfranzq; 07-12-2018 at 01:48 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    To me, their "abuse" message is just an excuse. The free service in both Spain and the UK was axed this past month, and now this - though at least in the case of the US they're keeping some level of free service (for now).

It's worth remembering that they were literally pushing additional SIMs on people for $.01 when buying a $.99 SIM, and to my recollection made no attempt to limit additional SIM purchases by address or credit card info. They could say this was about people having multiple SIMs and sharing the data from the additional accounts to their primary SIM, but they eliminated that problem months ago when they restricted data sharing.

So accept that it's just a smoke screen. It looks much better than sending out a message saying they want to increase profits by forcing people away from the free plan to paid plans. It was a free service and they have the right to change it. Not much point in getting into a deep discussion about it, in my opinion. Better if we focus on alternatives for people who need more than the 250MB/month. So far we have good options for people who need a year of service (FreedomPop and Red Pocket), but none for people who are in the US short-term or part-time.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    I bought the Netgear Unite from FP a month ago and it works great. They say it’s refurbished but it looks damn near new to me. I got it for cheaper than they are advertising now on their site so they must have raised the price.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frowertr View Post
    I bought the Netgear Unite from FP a month ago and it works great. They say it’s refurbished but it looks damn near new to me. I got it for cheaper than they are advertising now on their site so they must have raised the price.
    The issue with the Netgear Unite is it only supports *two* LTE bands: 4 and 17. AT&T uses those bands plus bands 2, 5, 29 & 30 (and maybe more new ones). Most phones with LTE will cover more than two LTE bands, getting you better coverage on AT&T plus the option to use T-Mobile or networks outside the US if it's unlocked. So if someone has an old LTE phone they're not using, and it particularly if it supports custom ROMs (for hotspot regardless of whether the carrier permits it), this can prove to be a better hotspot option.

I need to add that I've never used the 1-year LTE SIM in a broadband device, only the free Global and LTE SIM, so I am making an assumption that it will work. I'm assuming the APN settings are the same between the free AT&T LTE SIM and the 1-year AT&T LTE SIM. I don't know why they would be different.

Feedback Score

Read the print. They charge with 20MB left according to the email I recieved this morning. I went in and axed my account as I am tired of playing their games. I gave them a second chance in May when they offered the Unite hotspot cheaper than anywhere else as I needed one for a road trip. It worked well but will go other ways of finding low cost data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast