Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop appears to be reducing free "friends" data from 500MB to 50MB max

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score

FreedomPop appears to be reducing free "friends" data from 500MB to 50MB max

The support page How to earn extra data? was updated to state that you can only receive 50 MB of data maximum from the automatic Freedom Friends function. The wording is confusing, perhaps a poorly made edit of the old document with new info, but the last line is clear:
    Please note: Maximum amount of earned data from Freedom Friends is 50mb per month, 5mb per friend.
    I checked a couple accounts and I still see 500MB of friends data on each, so I'm assuming that if this is legit, it will take effect at the start of the next billing cycle.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. We can hope this is a mistake, but I don't think it's a surprising move given the direction FP has been going.

Device(s)
    Moto G (6)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    One of mine has only 5 days left until the next billing cycle. I'll check then to see if there is any change.

Feedback Score
    The change may take place in favor of company

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    That's too bad.

I think I'll buy a "FreedomPop 3-in-1 LTE SIM Kit 12-Month Prepaid Plan (Unlimited Talk, Text, & 1GB Data)" while it's on sale from https://www.target.com/p/freedompop-...a/-/A-53511519 to have on hand, just in case. That way I can easily return it if I change my mind.

That will cost $3.80/mo paid $45.84 for the year ($44.99-$2.50 Red Card=$42.74+$0.21 e911+$2.89 Tax)

1GB/mo (+50MB/mo) for $3.80/mo will be enough for my primary use, and then I'll still have my other FP AT&T LTE SIM cards for my tablets and other phones that I occasionally use. I use GV #s+Hangouts for voice and messaging, not the FP voice/messaging app.

If anybody knows of a way to get 1GB of AT&T LTE data for less than $3.80/mo, please post it here.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That's too bad.

I think I'll buy a "FreedomPop 3-in-1 LTE SIM Kit 12-Month Prepaid Plan (Unlimited Talk, Text, & 1GB Data)" while it's on sale from https://www.target.com/p/freedompop-...a/-/A-53511519 to have on hand, just in case. That way I can easily return it if I change my mind.

That will cost $3.80/mo paid $45.84 for the year ($44.99-$2.50 Red Card=$42.74+$0.21 e911+$2.89 Tax)

1GB/mo (+50MB/mo) for $3.80/mo will be enough for my primary use, and then I'll still have my other FP AT&T LTE SIM cards for my tablets and other phones that I occasionally use. I use GV #s+Hangouts for voice and messaging, not the FP voice/messaging app.

If anybody knows of a way to get 1GB of AT&T LTE data for less than $3.80/mo, please post it here.
    Does that plan have real calling, or just VOIP?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clocks11 View Post
    Does that plan have real calling, or just VOIP?
    I don't know for sure, but my guess is that the included UT&T is via the FreedomPop Messaging app, with VoIP for voice.

As I mentioned above, I use GV #s+Hangouts for voice and messaging, not the FreedomPop Messaging app.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Checked a handful of accounts, none have been changed to the new allotment. Most recent recycle date is about a week away, so will check again then.

50 MB is a bit of a joke these days.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Checked a handful of accounts, none have been changed to the new allotment. Most recent recycle date is about a week away, so will check again then.

50 MB is a bit of a joke these days.
    https://support.freedompop.com/app/a...186/kw/friends currently shows "Updated 07/09/2018 06:03 PM", so today, 7/10/18, would probably be the first day that the change could be seen.

I have a FP AT&T LTE SIM that is supposed to cycle on the 11th. I'll try to check it tomorrow, although sometimes it takes an additional day to fully refresh.

The total per FP AT&T LTE SIM would be reduced to 250MB/mo, a big decrease from the previous 700MB/mo/SIM, and the possible 1,200MB/mo/SIM prior to the change before this one!

Feedback Score
    That's to be expected, people clearly abused the system. It was pretty much granted that no matter what you can get FP friends, which we know circumvents the purpose of that freebie: referring the FP SIM/services to other people with the goal to bring them in. I'm surprised it took them this long...

On the other side of the coin, this can be interpreted as good news. Instead of scrapping the free plan completely like they did in UK, they are trying to make it more sustainable.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    It has come a long way from the 1,200MB/mo/SIM that I used to get on my FP AT&T LTE SIMs (200MB Free+500MB Friends+500MB Gifting).

However, like Audigy said, 250MB/mo/SIM is still better than NONE!

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if now they'll finally clarify the auto top-up rule for the FP SIM cards. As it is, the official rule of auto top-up being triggered when 100MB away from your limit means those with auto top-up enabled only have 150MB of usable data. I know that many have said in practice it doesn't get triggered even when 50MB from your limit, and I've seen people mention that it's 20MB. Whatever it is, I'm sure we'll have a lot more reports of it getting triggered in the near future.

While I appreciate FP needing to make changes to prevent abuse and make a profit, IMO their biggest problem is their own pricing for paid services. Their cheapest paid plan on the LTE SIM is $14/month for 500MB. That's simply not a competitive price, and this for a SIM that doesn't include a real (non-VOIP) number. I think everyone on this forum knows they can do better. You already see people switching to RedPocket and other alternatives with better value for budget prepaid plans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    It has come a long way from the 1,200MB/mo/SIM that I used to get on my FP AT&T LTE SIMs (200MB Free+500MB Friends+500MB Gifting).

However, like Audigy said, 250MB/mo/SIM is still better than NONE!
    Thanks for the heads up about FP reducing the max allowed Friends data.

I have one that renews tomorrow, 7/11. I will check and post what happens.

This would be a good time to review how much of our free data we can use without incurring a $15 Top Up. I have always set my data limit 150 MB below the monthly allowance to be sure. That is not going to work well if my allowance is only 250.

What is the Top Up threshold? 20 MB? 50 MB?

If the new limit of 250 MB is true and we are not grandfathered, I suspect that they will accomplish their goal of reducing freeloaders when a lot of people don't know and incur $15 top ups.

No hard feelings for FP. It was great while it lasted. They don't owe me anything.

I do have auto Top Up disabled on two lines. I'm not adding $10? to the others to disable it.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Thanks for the heads up about FP reducing the max allowed Friends data.

I have one that renews tomorrow, 7/11. I will check and post what happens.

This would be a good time to review how much of our free data we can use without incurring a $15 Top Up. I have always set my data limit 150 MB below the monthly allowance to be sure. That is not going to work well if my allowance is only 250.

What is the Top Up threshold? 20 MB? 50 MB?

If the new limit of 250 MB is true and we are not grandfathered, I suspect that they will accomplish their goal of reducing freeloaders when a lot of people don't know and incur $15 top ups.

No hard feelings for FP. It was great while it lasted. They don't owe me anything.

I do have auto Top Up disabled on two lines. I'm not adding $10? to the others to disable it.
    Officially auto top-up is triggered when 100MB away from your limit. In practice it seems to be less - maybe 20MB. The problem is that we're dealing with FreedomPop, so there's no telling when they might decide to start enforcing it at 100MB, and you'd be in no position to argue since that's the official rule.

As for disabling auto top-up... since you're one day away from renewing, you might consider trying what this person did just yesterday. Apparently if you activate Safety Mode (normally $7/month) on the last day or last hour of your cycle, it's pro-rated. That person paid $0.21, then disabled it (within the same hour it seems), and auto top-up remained off. If you do try it, let us know if it works.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    I wonder if now they'll finally clarify the auto top-up rule for the FP SIM cards. As it is, the official rule of auto top-up being triggered when 100MB away from your limit means those with auto top-up enabled only have 150MB of usable data. I know that many have said in practice it doesn't get triggered even when 50MB from your limit, and I've seen people mention that it's 20MB. Whatever it is, I'm sure we'll have a lot more reports of it getting triggered in the near future.

While I appreciate FP needing to make changes to prevent abuse and make a profit, IMO their biggest problem is their own pricing for paid services. Their cheapest paid plan on the LTE SIM is $14/month for 500MB. That's simply not a competitive price, and this for a SIM that doesn't include a real (non-VOIP) number. I think everyone on this forum knows they can do better. You already see people switching to RedPocket and other alternatives with better value for budget prepaid plans.
    Here are a few thoughts.

https://forums.freedompop.com/us/dis...data-threshold indicates that the auto-topup for GSM SIMs is triggered when less than 20 MB remains.

https://support.freedompop.com/app/a...-data-limit%3F indicates that auto-topup only occurs when the actual data limit is exceeded.

The FP paid plan you mentioned does seem poor. I hadn't seen that one.

However, here are the paid plans I might consider:

1GB/Mo $3.82/mo Paid $45.84/yr ($44.99-$2.50 Red Card=$42.74+$0.21 e911+$2.89 Tax)
    https://www.target.com/p/freedompop-...a/-/A-53511519
    (Also available from https://www.amazon.com/FreedomPop-Le.../dp/B0792D3LLZ)

5GB/Mo $12.50/mo Paid $149.99/yr
    https://www.freedompop.com/offer/affsim-5gb-1yr

7GB/Mo+Free Hotspot $16.67/mo Paid $199.99/yr
    https://www.freedompop.com/offer/affunite-7gb-1yr

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I exchanged messages with FP support, and it seems that the rules for auto top-up have changed. No longer is it triggered at 100MB or 20MB, but when you actually reach your data limit. A quote from them:

...you will incur in a $15.00 charge once have reached your data limit, meaning once the allocated data has been used up.
    So that's some good news at least.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast