Feedback Score

iPhone x & iPhone SE. Discontinued

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    This is currently a "prediction"! Not yet fact!

"This isn’t the first time we’ve heard that Apple might discontinue the iPhone X this fall, but it’s a suggestion that should still be treated with a grain of salt."

"...they suggest that the iPhone 8 devices will stick around at the lower-end of the market, while the iPhone X and iPhone SE will be discontinued..."

"The iPhone X would presumably be discontinued in Q3 of this year, and the cheaper “iPhone SE” would also go away."

This might happen. But it's just guessing at this point!

Feedback Score
    The SE is pretty much a done deal, we can start to observe a few newer apps becoming incompatible with its low resolution(such as items out of screen or not displaying properly). Let's not forget that it is a 2 year old device, with an even older SoC(A9). In its place price wise($550 ish), they may keep a slightly stripped down version of the iPhone 8, with less storage.

The actual iPhone X will be discontinued in a strategic move to not canibalize the selling numbers of the newer 2018 models.

The line up that makes sense now:

iPhone 8 - 32GB(?)
    new(2018) iPhone 9 6.1" LCD
    new(2018) iPhone X 5.8" OLED
    new(2018) iPhone X Plus 6.4" OLED

Device(s)
    Moto Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Audigy View Post
    The SE is pretty much a done deal, we can start to observe a few newer apps becoming incompatible with its low resolution(such as items out of screen or not displaying properly). Let's not forget that it is a 2 year old device, with an even older SoC(A9). In its place price wise($550 ish), they may keep a slightly stripped down version of the iPhone 8, with less storage.

The actual iPhone X will be discontinued in a strategic move to not canibalize the selling numbers of the newer 2018 models.

The line up that makes sense now:

iPhone 8 - 32GB(?)
    new(2018) iPhone 9 6.1" LCD
    new(2018) iPhone X 5.8" OLED
    new(2018) iPhone X Plus 6.4" OLED

The problem is not everyone wants a big screen. My wife loves her SE as she is active and doesn't spend hours on her phone. She upgraded from the 4S to it just because of the size, with added horespower. Apple will do what they always do, force people to upgrade due to incompatibility with newer apps.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Since the 6s can be available for the "prepaid" market for as low as $299, if Apple drops the SE, it will probably be taking it's place. Unless Apple does the 7 for that market.

Obviously not as small as the SE, but maybe with the market targeting bigger phones for apps, this is a move they will make.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    I agree that the SE is appealing to some due to it being more compact. Keep in mind that Apple released the SE off cycle in the past, so like the 6S it might be officially discontinued but it may continue to be available in the prepaid market for a while. I could then see a February/March 209 replacement device with an A11 (iPhone 8). This would fit the refresh cycle and have the SE be a small form factor of the prior year device.

With the 5S and SE both getting iOS 12, apps will need to be updated for the 4” form factor for at least another year (and I’d bet on the SE getting iOS 13 next year since it’s still a current device)...

Feedback Score

Post Not quite yet, but likely inevitable

Well, not yet. They're probably getting ready to roll out the iPhone SE-Plus and the iPhone Y.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar1969 View Post
    The problem is not everyone wants a big screen. My wife loves her SE as she is active and doesn't spend hours on her phone. She upgraded from the 4S to it just because of the size, with added horespower. Apple will do what they always do, force people to upgrade due to incompatibility with newer apps.
    I too agree that not everyone wants a bigger screen, myself included, but is what the market and specially Android OEMs are pushing, phablets are becoming the new smartphone size. Apple clearly wants to get rid of the TouchID to make FaceID the standard, and in the process they remove another screen size along the way, less fragmentation(the 4.7" is next). Also, with smaller screens there is not enough space with the current technology to implement the notch, obviously they don't want to make a cheaper smaller device notchless but with FaceID, the notch is now the norm(they started it all) and its going to stick for a while, I don't see them wanting to enter Samsung's Galaxy territory with its notchless design.

Apple will do what any other company is doing(or trying), which is make slow moves to not upset the actual userbase while making the "older" devices "obsolete" so that you buy a new one, preferably willingly(because of the new features or because its faster/better at something) so you can stick around in their ecosystem and possibly continue to invest in it(apps, another device, ...).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill720 View Post
    Well, not yet. They're probably getting ready to roll out the iPhone SE-Plus and the iPhone Y.
    yes, there is definitely going to be an iphone se 2. There have already been leaks and pictures what it will look like, if those are to be believed.
    wouldn't surprise me to see it this September