Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizon, Nokia Conduct Outdoor 5G Test

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20...izontalcontent

Verizon and Nokia this week touted the industry's first successful outdoor test of a 5G connection using 3GPP standards.

The tests, which were conducted at Verizon's campus in New Jersey, also used multi-carrier aggregation to reach throughput speeds of up to 1.8 Gbps, officials said.

"By continuing to push the technological envelope and make advancements like these, we’re driving the ongoing development of 5G technology and bringing it to life for our customers," Verizon 5G Ecosystems & Innovation VP Sanyogita Shamsunder said in a statement.

The carrier and telecom equipment maker collaborated to transmit multiple live virtual reality sessions, as well as simultaneous 4K streaming video, on 28 GHz spectrum with latencies of 1.5 milliseconds.

Verizon, Nokia and Qualcomm completed a 3GPP standard-compliant 5G connection in a lab setting earlier this year, but officials said the outdoor tests more closely mirror how businesses and consumers will use 5G.

"Our successful trial pushes the testing distance and because it has been conducted outside, tests the interference variables in an outdoor environment," said Nokia Mobile Networks President Marc Rouanne. "This is a major milestone for preparing Verizon for widespread 5G implementation."

Verizon plans to launch 5G fixed wireless service in four U.S. cities by the end of the year.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Interesting to see how the technology is developing.

Now blast it through some trees and big-box store walls and tell us how well it works.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Yeah I'm looking to see some tests where mmWave goes through trees and buildings.

I believe Verizon says they can provide workable service to an area not to exceed 2000 ft.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Nice! Only a month old news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Bentley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Yeah I'm looking to see some tests where mmWave goes through trees and buildings.

I believe Verizon says they can provide workable service to an area not to exceed 2000 ft.
    Some testing has been done:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xWz2W1rkbJjuHc

It's bad, really bad, like 28 to 100 dB loss through common building materials. See page 65. Clear outdoor glass is only 3.9 dB. The problem is that there is hardly any single pane clear glass in common buildings any more. Trees are also addressed in the study - something like -25dB with leaves on the trees or evergreens.

We can also forget about getting 28 GHz in our cars without an external antenna. Tinted glass 25-40 Db loss. 28 GHz is going to be pretty useless except for fixed wireless.

The thing I saw recently was that Vz had done lab tests to 2000 feet, but did not say if they were using power levels that would be legal in public areas. They mentioned that they know they will have to use premise outdoor antennas and through the window transceivers for 28 GHz to work.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That report from NYU was done in 2014 before beamforming and massive MIMO were realities, they even acknowledge beamforming in the report. These two technologies among others (I believe) while not magic bullets certainly do improve upon the seemingly unusable losses through various material.

The few examples/reports/tests that I've seen still seem quite "sterile" and not quite real world just yet. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2xEd8wv4Xs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

It's bad, really bad, like 28 to 100 dB loss through common building materials. See page 65. Clear outdoor glass is only 3.9 dB. The problem is that there is hardly any single pane clear glass in common buildings any more. Trees are also addressed in the study - something like -25dB with leaves on the trees or evergreens.

We can also forget about getting 28 GHz in our cars without an external antenna. Tinted glass 25-40 Db loss. 28 GHz is going to be pretty useless except for fixed wireless.

The thing I saw recently was that Vz had done lab tests to 2000 feet, but did not say if they were using power levels that would be legal in public areas. They mentioned that they know they will have to use premise outdoor antennas and through the window transceivers for 28 GHz to work.
    you do get the fixed wireless will use an antenna that is OUTSIDE a window facing a small cell.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

They been testing this in 11 cities with REAL households. So that pretty much public places and I'm sure they were legal power levels.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Who needs tests! I'm just going to duct tape two 4G phones together and get 8G.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well from the look of that antenna at the beginning of the video, I'm convinced I will never see fixed 5G in my area. People won't even let another cell site be constructed to provide regular LTE coverage..

Sent from my PH-1 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Well from the look of that antenna at the beginning of the video, I'm convinced I will never see fixed 5G in my area. People won't even let another cell site be constructed to provide regular LTE coverage..

Sent from my PH-1 using HoFo mobile app
    Was thinking same exact thing

Feedback Score

Verizon, Nokia Conduct Outdoor 5G Test

Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    MmW will be effective in dense urban areas which will take pressure off the 4G network. Technologies have come a long way the last several years. However I still like to see Verizon gain more mid band spectrum. The FCC is way behind releasing this crucial spectrum while other countries have allocated 100 MHz of 3.5 GHz for each carrier ( South Korea and China)

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    While still largely academic there is actually hope for very useful mmWave in rural settings too.

...while demonstrating the remarkable distances and coverage that may be obtained using mmWave communication beyond 10 km in an RMa (rural macrocell) scenario...

Research paper
    Presentation

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I’m fine with that too. We have ATT Fiber and that’s our only option, no cable or anything else. 5G really wouldn’t be too competitive with existing FTTP. I’d rather keep fiber than have ugly 5G nodes spread out through the neighborhood.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dffdce View Post
    While still largely academic there is actually hope for very useful mmWave in rural settings too.

...while demonstrating the remarkable distances and coverage that may be obtained using mmWave communication beyond 10 km in an RMa (rural macrocell) scenario...

Research paper
    Presentation
    Thanks for the references. A ripping good read, no doubt. That mm-waves may propagate better in rural areas is very good news. There is a lot of nonsense posted here about 5G and mm-waves and what can feasibly be done with them. I would like to know the truth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast