Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good cell just trash now?

Feedback Score

Good cell just trash now?

What's going to happen to all these phones that no longer will activate anywhere? They will be in the landfill? My MotoG XT1028 was very well cared for and has a nice case and because it's 3G, it's rendered as a piece of crap? How sad!

My MotoG 4 Play is 4G/LTE but non-VoLTE on Verizon. Wonder where it falls in all these changes?

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score

Good cell just trash now?

Deleted

Deleted
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    What's going to happen to all these phones that no longer will activate anywhere? They will be in the landfill? My MotoG XT1028 was very well cared for and has a nice case and because it's 3G, it's rendered as a piece of crap? How sad!

My MotoG 4 Play is 4G/LTE but non-VoLTE on Verizon. Wonder where it falls in all these changes?

If no Volte then if they do indeed shut down cdma at the end of 2019 then it would no longer be able to call or text and would be data only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Huh? Verizon’s 3G network is still around and Verizon should have no issue activating it

I read that any 3G that isn't already active as of July 2018 won't be able to be activated. I moved my service/number to the MotoG4 Play and the other Moto is not being used anywhere now.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I read that any 3G that isn't already active as of July 2018 won't be able to be activated. I moved my service/number to the MotoG4 Play and the other Moto is not being used anywhere now.

That's accurate for activating on Vzw directly.

It appears that the non-VoLTE phone activation deadline was moved to 12/31/18 for Vzw MVNOs, with the final date when it will no longer work at all on the Vzw network currently being 12/31/19. Subject to change...

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    You might still be able to sell it since it still works on Verizon's 3G network... but otherwise, all smartphones can be repurposed as Wi-Fi-only devices for things like an internet radio device, dedicated music player, home VPN server, Wi-Fi security camera...

As a side note though, one reason why I've always preferred GSM devices (AT&T, T-Mobile) is because, when unlocked, they have value for use on other networks, including those outside the US. Heck, there are still quite a few people still using GSM flip phones and old Nokias elsewhere in the world.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    You might still be able to sell it since it still works on Verizon's 3G network... but otherwise, all smartphones can be repurposed as Wi-Fi-only devices for things like an internet radio device, dedicated music player, home VPN server, Wi-Fi security camera...

As a side note though, one reason why I've always preferred GSM devices (AT&T, T-Mobile) is because, when unlocked, they have value for use on other networks, including those outside the US. Heck, there are still quite a few people still using GSM flip phones and old Nokias elsewhere in the world.
    My MotoG 4 Play XT1607 is good on all networks, they say. Anyway, I just called Selectel and the 3G MotoG is able to be activated. Previous gal told me it was no longer possible to. Answer depends on who and/or what day you get someone on the phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    If no Volte then if they do indeed shut down cdma at the end of 2019 then it would no longer be able to call or text and would be data only.

I did get VoLTE with a TMobile SIM but not with a Verizon activation with Selectel. And now that Selectel is adding VoLTE and I have Nougat, I thought it would just work. But alas, not so!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    My MotoG 4 Play XT1607 is good on all networks, they say. Anyway, I just called Selectel and the 3G MotoG is able to be added. Previous gal told me it was no longer possible to. Answer depends on who and/or what day you get someone on the phone.

As I mentioned, the original 6/30/18 deadline was moved to 12/31/18 for MVNOs at some point. That first CSR must not have gotten the memo, lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

It appears that the non-VoLTE phone activation deadline was moved to 12/31/18 for Vzw MVNOs, with the final date when it will no longer work at all on the Vzw network currently being 12/31/19. Subject to change...

Feedback Score

How's that going to affect Tracfone users who are using phones that are Tracfone branded like the Fiesta 2 or the various Rebel 2s and 3s?
    And other Tracfone's running Verizon.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    How's that going to affect Tracfone users who are using phones that are Tracfone branded like the Fiesta 2 or the various Rebel 2s and 3s?
    And other Tracfone's running Verizon.

I haven't kept up on Vzw VoLTE compatibility on those phones. If they are active but are NOT Vzw VoLTE compatible, they will continue working through 12/31/19, when Vzw CDMA is turned off. As you know, that date is subject to change.

Feedback Score
    I haven't kept up on Vzw VoLTE compatibility on those phones. If they are active but are NOT Vzw VoLTE compatible, they will continue working through 12/31/19, when Vzw CDMA is turned off. As you know, that date is subject to change.
    Thanks.
    If they do shut them down that would not be great.
    When I transfer my balances to the Fiesta 2 tomorrow my expiration date will be in April 2022.
    I'm sure that I'll figure something out by the time it gets shut down.
    I do like new phones but would hate it if I am forced to get a new one because they have shut it down.
    I have been goofing around with my new Fiesta 2 since I got it a few weeks ago.
    I've been too busy to transfer the buckets so far but have some time to do it tomorrow.
    Although I had planned on doing it this evening...

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget, when 3G is finally shut down that it won't happen overnight. Users with older phones will be given incentives/special offers to change over to newer handsets and a trade-in program could be offered. Far too early to say with any certainty.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    @ SnowyWhite:

I just picked up a couple of Fiesta 2s to make the change myself for VoLTE (on PPC), as I moved some relatives on TracFone to those models and verified they configure with Advanced Calling (HD).

I would speculate that at least the current range of budget LG phones (Rebel 3, Premier Pro, Fiesta 2, and Stylo 3 - all for VZW) will be a thumbs up for VoLTE.

Earlier similarly named models I couldn't say.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    @ SnowyWhite:

I just picked up a couple of Fiesta 2s to make the change myself for VoLTE (on PPC), as I moved some relatives on TracFone to those models and verified they configure with Advanced Calling (HD).

I would speculate that at least the current range of budget LG phones (Rebel 3, Premier Pro, Fiesta 2, and Stylo 3 - all for VZW) will be a thumbs up for VoLTE.

Earlier similarly named models I couldn't say.
    I just activated my LG Fiesta 2 this evening.
    No problem at all.
    Got all of my buckets and year of service and then used Transfer Wizard to send my stuff from my Magnificent Moto E4 to my Luscious LG Fiesta 2.
    Took maybe 15 minutes to transfer my account to the new phone.
    I'm really liking this new phone.
    Stuck a 64GB microSD card in it that I bought Black Friday.
    So far so good.

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast