Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone no data / hidden non-removable APN

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

iPhone no data / hidden non-removable APN

I just moved my sim card to a different iPhone and have the common "no data" problem.
    I've read many pages on the subject but not sure which solution to try.
    I'd rather not get into the "geeky" solutions (DFU,using iBackupBot and going in there to remove the APN, etc.)

It seems the likely culprit is that I have an older sim card and that getting Tracfone to switch me to a newer sim card will solve the problem.
    Can anyone here confirm that this is the solution?
    Will I loose the TMFL?
    iPhone 6 Plus on Tracfone BYOP.
    I hate Apple. (I really miss Android)

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I also wonder if creating a new device (with my new iPhone's ID) in my account and transferring my service to the new device would have any effect on the APN profile.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    If you transfer to a new SIM, the SIM will dictate whether you get TMFL or not.

Unless you have old stock you are unlikely to get a TMFL SIM. And I doubt an old TMFL SIM would help with your issue.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I won't be too upset at going to a new SIM and loosing TMFL. I'm not a heavy user of minutes anyway.

Do you know if using a newer SIM will fix the iPhone APN issue?

Or if making this phone a "new device" and making it my "active device" will change the APN profile? This would probably be easy to try but I'd feel better about doing it if I knew there was a chance I'd get a different APN (might still not be correct, but different).

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
    Do you know if using a newer SIM will fix the iPhone APN issue?

Or if making this phone a "new device" and making it my "active device" will change the APN profile?
    Don't know. I responded to the part I could reasonably answer. I don't use iOS.

My understanding is TF and Apple control the APN settings. They send what they think you need and there doesn't appear to be a way to have them send something other than what the choose.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I had the exact same problem with 2 iphone SEs that I have. My sim was several years old and transferring to a new sim solved the problem. I had already wasted a looooong time on the phone with tracfone where they tried to get the APN manually changed. (With no results !) Switched from a sim from a BYOP kit showing "coverage on two largest networks"-white package to "works with top three networks"-green package. Both are TMFL package but didn't really care about that. I don't think changing the device in your account will make any difference.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for the reply.
    I figured trying to change the APN would be mess.
    All my “kits” are the “two largest” and the SIM I’m using is older than that.
    I’ll get a new SIM.
    I’m curious. When you had the problem was it when you only moved the old SIM to a different iphone or did you make the new phone a “new device” in your TF account?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Seems like you might need a new SIM activation to force an APN setting to be sent to the iPhone.
    An iPhone user should have experience with what causes an APN to be sent to the phone.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    That’s what I’m asking.
    Do I need a newer SIM card or will “registering” my newer phone through my account force a new APN setting to the phone.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It may require an ACTIVATION, for the APN to be sent to an iPhone. If that is the case you need to transfer service to a new SIM.
    I do not know how IPhones work. But when you SIM swap between Androids, the Data just works.
    Remember you are dealing with an iPhone. The Company operates in unconventional bizarre ways.
    Hopefully an iPhone user with the necessary experience will come along a definitive answer.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Brian VT: My problem occured when I moved my activated "2 network sim" from an iphone SE with 16 GB to an iphone SE with 32 GB. Tracfone never suggested that I get a newer sim - I read this possible solution here on some other thread. I bought 2 "3 network sim" kits in November after reading the other thread.

I never make a new phone a new device in my TF account as the identifying number on my Tracfone account is exactly the same no matter what device my simcard is in. In fact, right now the same identifying number is shown for an inactive SamGalaxy S4 and an active iPhone SE. The number is not an IMEI nor a simcard number - I don't know where that number came from.

Note that all the devices in my discussion are BYOP phones.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks again, weiden.
    I'll grab a newer "kit". Then do I need to contact TracFone and they swap my account to the new SIM card or is there a way for me to do that in my online account?
    If TF needs to get involved I'll use the recommend Chat method and document my account balance before any changes are made.

I'm still curious if "activating" this device would trigger getting a new APN but I'll stick with your method to be safe.

Feedback Score
    I have a related issue when I move an activated SIM to a different iPhone. I end up only getting 3G and not LTE in many locations and was thinking it had to do with the APN settings that I could not change.

So would be interested in knowing if your method of activate a new SIM solved your issue.

Feedback Score

iPhone no data / hidden non-removable APN

Quote Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
    I just moved my sim card to a different iPhone and have the common "no data" problem.
    I've read many pages on the subject but not sure which solution to try.
    I'd rather not get into the "geeky" solutions (DFU,using iBackupBot and going in there to remove the APN, etc.)

It seems the likely culprit is that I have an older sim card and that getting Tracfone to switch me to a newer sim card will solve the problem.
    Can anyone here confirm that this is the solution?
    Will I loose the TMFL?
    I moved a sim to a new iPhone X. Initially the data didn’t work so followed these directions I had copied from another HoFo thread. It worked.

To install a PROFILE you must disable your Mobile data.
    1) Then enable your WiFi, and make sure that you are properly connected. 2) Open your SAFARI browser then, open this link ivzwentp.tracfone.com (must be in lowercase), 3) Click install PROFILE then select INSTALL. Please take note: Some iPhone cannot recognize the link provided. But don't worry it is safe, so please continue to install. 4) Once it was installed successfully. Please disable your WiFi connectivity and enable your mobile data. 5) Make sure that LTE is showing at the top of your phone screen. Try to access some of your phone online application to check if everything is working good.
    Sim is a least 3 yrs old probably more.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    That's the site I was trying to remember.

ivzwentp.tracfone.com

But, I suspect it's only for Verizon network users.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast