Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: iPhone no data / hidden non-removable APN

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    That's the site I was trying to remember.

ivzwentp.tracfone.com

But, I suspect it's only for Verizon network users.
    Yes, think you’re right. It’s a vzn sim.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Thank you jmart!!!!!!

I had used that method last time I switched phones but more recent internet searches said that wasn't working (for those with iOS 11?), hence me starting this thread.

SO...I got a new sim kit and started an on online chat and it was a nightmare so I bailed out and started a new one in hopes of better results. Nope. They can be useless sometimes. Both told me my phone was not compatible with BYOP even though I told him I had talk and text. The 2nd one finally acknowledged that it would work. Jeebus, what a waste of time.

During the 2nd chat my email notified me of jmart’s post so I asked the TF guy if I could restart the chat later and he said no. I would have to start over. I hung up.

Out of frustration I took the chance on jmart’s post. I went through the process and it said it failed but....it seems to have worked!

So...I guess the issue with swapping a SIM card from one iPhone to another may be that you need to disable Cellular Data before inserting the SIM card? Or at least disable it before going to ivzwentp.tracfone.com to get the correct APN.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Yup. It worked. My last post was sent from my iPhone with wifi turned off and only 2 bars on my cellular strength meter.
    Thanks again, jmart !!!
    iPhone 6 Plus on Tracfone BYOP.
    I hate Apple. (I really miss Android)

Feedback Score

iPhone no data / hidden non-removable APN

So glad it worked! Just switched same sim to an 8 plus (x wasn’t for me) & same thing - no data but followed directions & yay it worked. Yup I forgot about the “install failed” error message. That scared me both times. In my case had no profile installed so guess that’s why didn’t work initially.
    Sorry you had to go thru the agony of support. Been there & like talking to a wall.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    OK I just copied and pasted the last 6 comments to a word document and printed it for future use. The ivzwnt site is what tracfone CS kept having me put into my SE when I had no data. Unfortunately the phone just kept refusing to accept the site. Trac CS never said anything about disabling mobile data nor to get a newer sim. That is when I remembered to try just transferring to a newer sim.

So, (maybe I missed this) BrianVT did you use the same older sim or buy a newer sim? Also I didn't really see in the beginning if you were going for ATT or Verizon. I print and keep posts that I think may be of use in the future as it is too hard to go back thru hofo and find the specific post. ***Glad everything worked out finally***
    ------------------------------------------------
    I hate itunes. UGH.
    Last edited by weiden1; 07-14-2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    Good to know that the APN method worked.

Now that data is working for you, can you activate LTE for voice and/or data under cellular and does it show 3G or LTE on the top left of your home screen? I'd appreciate the feedback.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Sorry for the late reply, guys.
    My phone shows LTE when I'm not on WIFI and it says Verizon (not TFW) when on WIFI because it's an older SIM card.

Feedback Score
    Thanks BrianVT.

It seems my 3G issue is just simply a weak signal issue as when I am away from home, the LTE appears. Of course, I can only enable LTE on data but not Voice & Data as others on verizon SIM find. My kids have TF with ATT sim and on their phones, the voice & data LTE can be enabled.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Sorry for the late reply, but I thought I'd chime in with my recent experience getting APNs to work on iPhones through Verizon on Tracfone.

I tried setting up a brand new account and phone number for a family member. I bought a new SIM card that had the 3 networks inside. Originally I thought I'd try setting it up using an old IMEI from a Samsung phone that I have that died, just in case the IMEI got "Slim-locked" for the future. The iPhone (a 7 in this case) worked except for data. I had to install the APN profile like you did in order for data to work. However, I didn't like this solution because I travel a fair amount and this meant having to remove APN profiles when I put in foreign sim cards. This entire process I did online using the web interface, no humans were involved.

I had another 3-in-1 SIM card package lying around, so I got out another new, unused Verizon SIM and got in the Tracfone customer service chat. I decided to risk getting this iPhone's IMEI Slim Locked this time. I told them, I have a new iPhone 7 (really just the first one I was already using). Can you transfer my service to this new SIM card? They asked me similar questions to the online web form, but was I was surprised is that they requested my iPhone model and exact serial number as well. The online web form only asks for IMEI. The person on chat said this was necessary for configuring the system for data. The transfer took about 2-3 minutes and then the iPhone had data without explicitly downloading an APN into it.

So I'm thinking the Tracfone chat people have a more detailed interface for setting things up in Verizon, and that this little bit of information they pass onto Verizon that says which iPhone I have is what triggers the hidden APN to be sent to my phone. In both cases of my working iPhones on tracfone, there is no indication there is an APN installed, but the only way I got that to work was by chatting with someone at Tracfone and having them explicitly configure my iPhone model and serial number while transferring my account to a new SIM card.

What's surprising is that in the past, I had these same no data issues, and no amount of chatting with Tracfone would solve it. It's like they only have the option to set the iPhone model and serial when activating a new SIM card.

Anyway, glad you got it solved using the APN downloading method.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, the int’l thing is another can of worms.
    Glad you solved it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oatflake View Post
    Sorry for the late reply, but I thought I'd chime in with my recent experience getting APNs to work on iPhones through Verizon on Tracfone.

I tried setting up a brand new account and phone number for a family member. I bought a new SIM card that had the 3 networks inside. Originally I thought I'd try setting it up using an old IMEI from a Samsung phone that I have that died, just in case the IMEI got "Slim-locked" for the future. The iPhone (a 7 in this case) worked except for data. I had to install the APN profile like you did in order for data to work. However, I didn't like this solution because I travel a fair amount and this meant having to remove APN profiles when I put in foreign sim cards. This entire process I did online using the web interface, no humans were involved.

I had another 3-in-1 SIM card package lying around, so I got out another new, unused Verizon SIM and got in the Tracfone customer service chat. I decided to risk getting this iPhone's IMEI Slim Locked this time. I told them, I have a new iPhone 7 (really just the first one I was already using). Can you transfer my service to this new SIM card? They asked me similar questions to the online web form, but was I was surprised is that they requested my iPhone model and exact serial number as well. The online web form only asks for IMEI. The person on chat said this was necessary for configuring the system for data. The transfer took about 2-3 minutes and then the iPhone had data without explicitly downloading an APN into it.

So I'm thinking the Tracfone chat people have a more detailed interface for setting things up in Verizon, and that this little bit of information they pass onto Verizon that says which iPhone I have is what triggers the hidden APN to be sent to my phone. In both cases of my working iPhones on tracfone, there is no indication there is an APN installed, but the only way I got that to work was by chatting with someone at Tracfone and having them explicitly configure my iPhone model and serial number while transferring my account to a new SIM card.

What's surprising is that in the past, I had these same no data issues, and no amount of chatting with Tracfone would solve it. It's like they only have the option to set the iPhone model and serial when activating a new SIM card.

Anyway, glad you got it solved using the APN downloading method.
    My exact experience last week - forgot they ask for the serial # also. It’s all good. I’m hoping the days are past that the phone will get locked into tracfone - the iPhone 6 will wear out before that is an issue anyway.

Below Posted 7/15 - occurrence 7/13 - post #192 under tracfone VoLTE thread
    “Update
    I transferred my service back to a New sim on Verizon says “TFW”. Phone calls, data, text did Not work. Top left of iPhone 6 said 3G. So, mmmm ?
    Got on Chat, Discovered that the IMEI where I had changed the last digit to prevent “Slim-locking” was the problem.
    Gave them the correct IMEI, along with the New SIM card # again - Wa La - everything works like a charm. And here is the kicker: phone gets VoLTE with a crystal clear voice sounds- sooooo much better. I assume it’s the new SIM card enabling this, but perhaps the Rebel 3 sim experiment changed the settings & VoLTE carried over ? I don’t think so.....but maybe.
    Another odd thing: the hsn bundle seemed to add exponentially to my airtime balance. Anyway ....all is well that ends well”

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    My daughter swapped her sim from a 6 into her new 8 and was fine until she let her data $ run out.
    Now she’s in this boat. I sent her a link to this page. She says no go.
    Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    Hey Brian Has your daughter had any luck?Activated new sim about a week ago. I swear data was working but today it’s not. Did the whole routine to reinstall apn and it’s not working for me either. And when I try another method where I go to iPhone.flexserve.net gives me “backend error - 404.” About to tear my hair out. If I have to call Tracfone CS think I’ll kill myself. Lol. Please tell me you found a fix.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    It happened to her again. 2 hrs. talking to Yennifer Alejandrina Tavarez Sosa.
    She’s talking about switching carriers.
    She did mention that it may have had something to do with an IOS update though.
    Sorry for no help.

Feedback Score
    So after messing around for hours turned off LTE and I have data. WTH? When I got new sim changed from verizon lte to tfw lte. So is this a Tracfone network problem? Now says TFW 3G.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast