Thread: AT&T GoPhone/Prepaid Plan Questions

Feedback Score

Question AT&T GoPhone/Prepaid Plan Questions

Hey Everyone,

I had a couple of questions regarding the AT&T Prepaid plan activation. I've read on here that it is possible to activate an AT&T service using SIM cards provided by AT&T MVNOs such as H2o, Red Pocket GSMA, Cricket Wireless etc. So was just wondering if this still is the case and if I would face any service limitations in doing so?

I ordered an AT&T SIM, but I have a couple of new AT&T MVNOs SIM cards in hand, so just wanted to know if I could use them instead of waiting for the AT&T sim card to arrive or going into the store.

Lastly, I have an International Samsung S8+(Model: SM-G955FD) that I was looking to activate on AT&T's network. I have it working on T-Mobile, although I am aware that it may be missing a couple of bands. For AT&T, on willmyphonework.net, it states that the 3G and 4G bands are available but it's missing 2G bands. So I was wondering if I would have any issues registering the IMEI # when activating the SIM with AT&T ?

Appreciate the help in advance, thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikhoz View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I had a couple of questions regarding the AT&T Prepaid plan activation. I've read on here that it is possible to activate an AT&T service using SIM cards provided by AT&T MVNOs such as H2o, Red Pocket GSMA, Cricket Wireless etc. So was just wondering if this still is the case and if I would face any service limitations in doing so?

I ordered an AT&T SIM, but I have a couple of new AT&T MVNOs SIM cards in hand, so just wanted to know if I could use them instead of waiting for the AT&T sim card to arrive or going into the store.

Lastly, I have an International Samsung S8+(Model: SM-G955FD) that I was looking to activate on AT&T's network. I have it working on T-Mobile, although I am aware that it may be missing a couple of bands. For AT&T, on willmyphonework.net, it states that the 3G and 4G bands are available but it's missing 2G bands. So I was wondering if I would have any issues registering the IMEI # when activating the SIM with AT&T ?

Appreciate the help in advance, thanks!
    Not sure what your asking about the activation. If you want AT&T prepaid you’ll want an att prepaid SIM card, H2O SIM card, red pocket GSMA SIM card etc. There’s no one SIM card for all.

It’s not showing what 2G bands because AT&T doesn’t have a 2G GSM network. That was shut down back 2 years ago so there’s no bands to show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Not sure what your asking about the activation. If you want AT&T prepaid you’ll want an att prepaid SIM card, H2O SIM card, red pocket GSMA SIM card etc. There’s no one SIM card for all.

It’s not showing what 2G bands because AT&T doesn’t have a 2G GSM network. That was shut down back 2 years ago so there’s no bands to show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Appreciate the response, what I'm asking is that previously users on here were able to activate their AT&T service on GoPhone using a Cricket/Red Pocket sim. Although they did report 4G LTE speeds being capped, so I was wondering if this was still the case.

Thanks for the info, so in that case I shouldn't have any issues activating the SIM using the IMEI as the phone seems to be compatible.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikhoz View Post
    Appreciate the response, what I'm asking is that previously users on here were able to activate their AT&T service on GoPhone using a Cricket/Red Pocket sim. Although they did report 4G LTE speeds being capped, so I was wondering if this was still the case.

Thanks for the info, so in that case I shouldn't have any issues activating the SIM using the IMEI as the phone seems to be compatible.
    I highly doubt a cricket sim can be used to activate on AT&T prepaid. Cricket even though is AT&T it's has a different network ID so I don't see how its possible. Now redpocket/GSMA of H2O I guess could be possible but don't count on it working as I have no clue.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    I highly doubt a cricket sim can be used to activate on AT&T prepaid. Cricket even though is AT&T it's has a different network ID so I don't see how its possible. Now redpocket/GSMA of H2O I guess could be possible but don't count on it working as I have no clue.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    Sounds good, I'll just wait for the AT&T SIM in that case or go in to the store. Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    You can activate with H2O or Airvoice sim. Suspect you can use the Redpocket AT&T sim but don't know about the cricket one as it may be coded differently. Your phone IMEI will be picked up. You may not get all of the features of ATT branded phones but the phone will work.

You can get ATT sims at Walmart, Target and BestBuy to name a few stores that carry them.

Feedback Score
    I highly double it. They may use at&t towers but they are all separate companies. You'll have to get a specific sim that the mvno provides.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees65 View Post
    I highly double it. They may use at&t towers but they are all separate companies. You'll have to get a specific sim that the mvno provides.
    Last time I activated a line on AT&T Prepaid I went to a corporate store and they gave me the Sim, setup the autopay and gave me the autopay discount on the first month.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    Last time I activated a line on AT&T Prepaid I went to a corporate store and they gave me the Sim, setup the autopay and gave me the autopay discount on the first month.
    What does this have to do with the question about AT&T MVNO SIMs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    Thanks for the info, when I had spoken to AT&T earlier they said the autopay would only kick in from the second month, so this is good to know either ways. But I guess it depends on the store too, so experiences across the board may be different.

Feedback Score
    i have activated h2o and redpocket SIMs on att prepaid without issues.

they are exactly the same SIMs, just have different printing on them.

cricket SIMs are different and will not work.

Feedback Score
    I had AT&T Prepaid reject some mvno sim cards that I wanted to use a couple of months ago yo open an AT&T Prepaid account.

They were able to say "From the (ICCID), we can tell that that is an AirVoice sim and we cannot accept them."

They were quite old though.

I went through several and they would not use any of them.

The AT&T MVNO's are usually willing to take AT&T branded ones though alright.

Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    i have activated h2o and redpocket SIMs on att prepaid without issues.

they are exactly the same SIMs, just have different printing on them.

cricket SIMs are different and will not work.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-15-2018 at 05:49 AM.