Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: GSM vs CDMA in the Northwest

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Yep, I know what 30-30 Winchester hard drives are. I started working with IBM mainframe computers in 1977 as a computer operator, then application programmer, storage manager, system programmer, system admin. Retired in 2012 after 35 years with the same company, when I was 55 yrs old.
    I retired at 55 also. Perfect age really for retirement, except that you loose all your free time and the next 14 years after that has gone by so quickly its frightening!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The signal apps are usually a valid indicator. Some only read the data signal strength, at least on Verizon. Not sure what you see on GSM because I never had a smartphone in that service. Also not sure if you can see the actual carrier when in a roaming area. Verizon does not show any roaming areas west of the Rockies.

I don't turn off data anymore, as I found out the background use was not that much.
    Thanks! I will do a test of quiescent data usage on the next trip coming up very soon with the data left on. My brain is stuck in the last century world of analogue, signal to noise ratios, and 20 db receiver quieting....but so far using the various apps, my verizon is seeing 2-4 towers, with the hot one seeing -114 db..not good but I live in the boondocks around Spoakne. I mostly use "Signal Strength" and Network cell Lite. They give lots of very interesting data, most of which is completely meaningless to me now, although the maps are entertaining. The hot site is 5.21 miles away over hilly terrain....Att is showing -103 at 12 miles from the tower but the tower height is much higher...Move a mile and it could be reversed...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    The hot site is 5.21 miles away over hilly terrain....Att is showing -103 at 12 miles from the tower but the tower height is much higher...Move a mile and it could be reversed...
    Yes, low towers and hills don't mix. They put a new Verizon tower in a dead spot in my town and it hardly makes it 2 miles in some directions without getting weak. Towers are restricted to 80' here, and the City Counsel even balked at that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4