Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: USCC VoLTE Roaming Update from Exec

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RockwoodME View Post
    T-Mobile LTE roaming on USCC is finally LIVE here in Maine, at least where I am!
    That's nice to see. I wonder if they will ever get it in West Virginia.

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure 2015
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile LTE roaming on USCC is finally LIVE here in Maine, at least where I am!
    What area of Maine? Does it show USCell when in their Network? I tried connecting here in the Sanford Maine area and it wouldn't connect.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
    Use a HandsFree Device!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Device(s)
    Note9, Note8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
    What area of Maine? Does it show USCell when in their Network? I tried connecting here in the Sanford Maine area and it wouldn't connect.

North of Bangor a bit, yes it shows US Cellular, been working great so far when I noticed it went live this past Friday afternoon where I'm at. You'll notice the TMO coverage map now looks so much better in Maine to reflects this. When did you try connecting last?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatheronthe8s View Post
    That's nice to see. I wonder if they will ever get it in West Virginia.

I think this TV station WHSV in Harrisonburg, VA shutting down will open up some areas of WV for T-Mobile's 600 Mhz Band 71 deployment.

http://www.whsv.com/content/news/IMP...489783341.html

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I think this TV station WHSV in Harrisonburg, VA shutting down will open up some areas of WV for T-Mobile's 600 Mhz Band 71 deployment.

http://www.whsv.com/content/news/IMP...489783341.html
    Yeah. It could do that. It also seems like WCHS in Charleston, WV is changing frequencies too. I may see some other stations change frequencies too.

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure 2015
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    North of Bangor a bit, yes it shows US Cellular, been working great so far when I noticed it went live this past Friday afternoon where I'm at. You'll notice the TMO coverage map now looks so much better in Maine to reflects this. When did you try connecting last?
    I saw the roaming LTE on the map so I was wondering if it was uscc or Northeast wireless. Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    USCC is in a really weird and unique position in the market. They are a privately owned company, so we don't know exactly what their financials look like, but I think it's clear that a significant portion of their revenue is from roaming. Given the areas that they cover, there is a disincentive for Sprint or T-Mobile to build out if they can just buy roaming and put CAPEX elsewhere, but that calculus may change if T-Sprint goes through.

There is nothing stopping USCC from continuing to run CDMA well into the future, and using VoLTE roaming outside of their native footprint, and even offering CDMA roaming for some time to come. USCC's network largely has LTE, but the LTE coverage just isn't as solid as their CDMA coverage, and there are a LOT of places where both USCC and Sprint drop to CDMA. I don't see USCC dropping CDMA anytime soon just from a pure coverage perspective. Unfortunately, because T-Mobile doesn't have a CDMA back-end, T-Mobile customers get significantly less roaming coverage than Sprint customers, even in an area with LTE, as CDMA coverage is much more robust.

Based on a map of their spectrum, USCC should have sold out to AT&T or Verizon before the 700 auction, as they became less and less valuable as the two big carriers got nationwide or near-nationwide low-band. However, my sense is that now AT&T and Verizon don't want to buy USCC, as they would have to divest half or more of USCC, mostly to the other big carrier in order to not have too much low band in any given market, or not have both sides of the CLR spectrum (although it's happened in a few markets here and there anyway). Doing this would mean far more competition from a much stronger national carrier in the markets that they have to divest, as opposed to currently having a duopoly with a weak, regional player. Plus, with B13, B14, and B17 VoLTE if either carrier wanted to directly compete in a a market where they aren't a legacy CLR carrier, they could easily do so by building their own native network.

In my view, USCC's single biggest blunder is not offering reasonable nationwide roaming. If they can't get a good roaming deal from Sprint, they are totally incapable of basic business, as Sprint is highly dependent on them for rural coverage. While Sprint's rural coverage in other areas is definitely lacking, at least Unlimited Sprint roaming would get USCC customers Unlimited data while in major metro areas nationwide.

Lastly, USCC needs to maximize roaming agreements. They have a decent network to provide. They need to get VoLTE up for AT&T and T-Mobile, and they need to get AT&T on in places like Iowa and Wisconsin where AT&T has giant holes and useless roaming partners (iWireless and Bug Tussle). For whatever reason, AT&T is not online with them, but they have the network to provide the roaming, and it's technically compatible, so they need to convince AT&T to get on board. The same is true for Verizon. Verizon's 1x USCC roaming is lame, USCC should try to convince Verizon to roam on USCC LTE where there is no native or LTEiRA network.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTEAdvanced View Post
    .... They are a privately owned company, so we don't know exactly what their financials look like, but I think it's clear that a significant portion of their revenue is from roaming. ......
    Technically, USCC is a publicly-traded company. Their "ticker symbol" is USM. It just so happens that most of the shares are held by one family. So, they do have to file financial reports, just like any other publicly-traded company.

The largest privately held wireless company is CSpire, which is not traded publicly.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Technically, USCC is a publicly-traded company. Their "ticker symbol" is USM. It just so happens that most of the shares are held by one family. So, they do have to file financial reports, just like any other publicly-traded company.

The largest privately held wireless company is CSpire, which is not traded publicly.
    Oooh, that's rather interesting, thanks for clarifying that fact. I'm assuming CSpire is by customers? Are any privately held companies larger by land mass coverage? The Southern Company is out, as they are a publicly held utility. What about Comnet?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    ... I'm assuming CSpire is by customers? Are any privately held companies larger by land mass coverage? The Southern Company is out, as they are a publicly held utility. What about Comnet?
    CSpire is owned by the Creekmore family. Commnet is a subsidiary of Atlantic Tele-Network (ATNI). Not sure who's the 2nd largest privately held wireless company. It may be WCW (West Central Wireless).

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    wait so USCC can now roam on the whole t-mobile network?

USCC is in a really weird and unique position in the market. They are a privately owned company, so we don't know exactly what their financials look like, but I think it's clear that a significant portion of their revenue is from roaming. Given the areas that they cover, there is a disincentive for Sprint or T-Mobile to build out if they can just buy roaming and put CAPEX elsewhere, but that calculus may change if T-Sprint goes through.

There is nothing stopping USCC from continuing to run CDMA well into the future, and using VoLTE roaming outside of their native footprint, and even offering CDMA roaming for some time to come. USCC's network largely has LTE, but the LTE coverage just isn't as solid as their CDMA coverage, and there are a LOT of places where both USCC and Sprint drop to CDMA. I don't see USCC dropping CDMA anytime soon just from a pure coverage perspective. Unfortunately, because T-Mobile doesn't have a CDMA back-end, T-Mobile customers get significantly less roaming coverage than Sprint customers, even in an area with LTE, as CDMA coverage is much more robust.

Based on a map of their spectrum, USCC should have sold out to AT&T or Verizon before the 700 auction, as they became less and less valuable as the two big carriers got nationwide or near-nationwide low-band. However, my sense is that now AT&T and Verizon don't want to buy USCC, as they would have to divest half or more of USCC, mostly to the other big carrier in order to not have too much low band in any given market, or not have both sides of the CLR spectrum (although it's happened in a few markets here and there anyway). Doing this would mean far more competition from a much stronger national carrier in the markets that they have to divest, as opposed to currently having a duopoly with a weak, regional player. Plus, with B13, B14, and B17 VoLTE if either carrier wanted to directly compete in a a market where they aren't a legacy CLR carrier, they could easily do so by building their own native network.

In my view, USCC's single biggest blunder is not offering reasonable nationwide roaming. If they can't get a good roaming deal from Sprint, they are totally incapable of basic business, as Sprint is highly dependent on them for rural coverage. While Sprint's rural coverage in other areas is definitely lacking, at least Unlimited Sprint roaming would get USCC customers Unlimited data while in major metro areas nationwide.

Lastly, USCC needs to maximize roaming agreements. They have a decent network to provide. They need to get VoLTE up for AT&T and T-Mobile, and they need to get AT&T on in places like Iowa and Wisconsin where AT&T has giant holes and useless roaming partners (iWireless and Bug Tussle). For whatever reason, AT&T is not online with them, but they have the network to provide the roaming, and it's technically compatible, so they need to convince AT&T to get on board. The same is true for Verizon. Verizon's 1x USCC roaming is lame, USCC should try to convince Verizon to roam on USCC LTE where there is no native or LTEiRA network.

they didnt want to sell the whole company and the only reason why they sold what they did is to downsize....and yes they make alot of their money on other roaming onto them...i dont see VOLTE coming into play any time soon not till they get rid of CDMA but i dont think that going happen

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    wait so USCC can now roam on the whole t-mobile network?
    Other way around.

VoLTE is coming into play. That's how T-Mobile customers can roam onto them.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    Other way around.

VoLTE is coming into play. That's how T-Mobile customers can roam onto them.
    ohhh...but ur phone needs to have CDMA radio then right?

so USCC is going add VOLTE and then t-mobile will be able to roam on their LTE and use VOLTE and by pass CDMA, right?

pretty sure USCC wasnt going add VOLTE? idk

if USCC gotta add VOLTE before t-mobile can roam its going be a lil bit of time

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    ohhh...but ur phone needs to have CDMA radio then right?

so USCC is going add VOLTE and then t-mobile will be able to roam on their LTE and use VOLTE and by pass CDMA, right?

pretty sure USCC wasnt going add VOLTE? idk

if USCC gotta add VOLTE before t-mobile can roam its going be a lil bit of time
    No CDMA. VoLTE is not CDMA. It's voice over LTE, so it's a data connection. They're adding VoLTE support. So where USCC has VoLTE, they can have T-Mobile customers roaming onto them as long as the T-Mobile customer has one of the supported phones.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    whlep i guess i was wrong...USCC does have VOLTE in the state of Iowa and says it wants to expand that only because all other carriers besides sprint has VOLTE and can roam on to USCC network and then itll shut down CDMA but in time

also looks like t-mobile was able to roam onto USCC network around this time last year..too bad USCC didnt have VOLTE running in west virginia and i wish t-mobile to hurry with band 71 in west virginia lol tho band 71 will spill over to PA as well

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast