Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Is VZW VoLTE ready for primetime? (sunsetting CDMA)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Is VZW VoLTE ready for primetime? (sunsetting CDMA)

Quote Originally Posted by ckoch125 View Post
    Well I would assume the bands being used for CDMA will be converted into LTE to help those areas that are not LTE covered or weak LTE areas. Like others have said, 18 months is a long time and if you think Verizon is going to drop the ball (and risk losing lots of $$ and customers over it by sunsetting tech too early) well that is why you don't run these companies I guess.
    What is the equivalent LTE band for Verizon’s 800MHz CDMA? (BC0)

Edit: never mind, I found a comment that says it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    What is the equivalent LTE band for Verizon’s 800MHz CDMA? (BC0)

Edit: never mind, I found a comment that says it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In case you're wondering most phones sold for Verizon in the last 3 years have band 5

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    I don't see why they should. By Jan 2020 it will be 23 months since they last sold a CDMA only basic phone. Only someone upgrading in Jan 2018 would be "getting screwed" and only for a month. Those are the only ones that should get any kind of deal. As far as smartphone by the it would be 6 years maybe more since Verizon sold a CDMA only Android and at least 4 years since they stopped selling the iPhone 4s( last 3G only iPhone )
    It is worse than that. Many newer phones may support LTE, but if they don't support VoLTE they won't work either. Such as the iPhone 5 and 5s.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    It is worse than that. Many newer phones may support LTE, but if they don't support VoLTE they won't work either. Such as the iPhone 5 and 5s.
    The 5 and the 5s are far from "new." Those phones came out in 2012 and 2013, which by the time verizon shuts down CDMA, those phones will be 6-7 years old...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Newer than the 4s. And the 5s was still being sold, mainly for prepaid, up until a couple years ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Newer than the 4s. And the 5s was still being sold, mainly for prepaid, up until a couple years ago.
    A) not new

B) Couple of years= 2 years. Jan 1 2020 another 17 1/2 months. If one hasn't upgraded by then that's on them,

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile has been converting it's 3G spectrum to 4G for awhile now and plans on shutting down 2G by December 2020.
    Yeah, but tmobile's 2G network was all deployed on PCS spectrum, which has been overlaid by Band 12 LTE. So any holes in the 2G network have been patched over by low band LTE. And t-mobile's volte network can seamlessly handover voice calls to HSPA/UMTS/GSM so they don't have to worry about a hard cutover the way Verizon does.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In case you're wondering most phones sold for Verizon in the last 3 years have band 5
    Yeah I’ve noticed that. So what will be the use of Band 5? Will it be another coverage band since the MHz is pretty close to band 13? It seems like BC0 worked best for coverage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    Yeah I’ve noticed that. So what will be the use of Band 5? Will it be another coverage band since the MHz is pretty close to band 13? It seems like BC0 worked best for coverage.
    Probably since in most places Verizon has only 10X10. Some places they have none at all but maybe they can do swaps with at&t.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oopsz View Post
    Yeah, but tmobile's 2G network was all deployed on PCS spectrum, which has been overlaid by Band 12 LTE. So any holes in the 2G network have been patched over by low band LTE. And t-mobile's volte network can seamlessly handover voice calls to HSPA/UMTS/GSM so they don't have to worry about a hard cutover the way Verizon does.
    T-Mobile doesn't have band 12 everywhere. Also it's only 5X5

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Still getting lots of dropped calls on a weekly basis on VoLTE, in areas where I never had a problem before (with CDMA). I often have to switch back to CDMA to continue a conversation... My AT&T friends are wondering what the problem is...

So really most everybody has VoLTE signal and call reliability now that is as good as VZW CDMA ever was? Even in buildings, etc?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    Still getting lots of dropped calls on a weekly basis on VoLTE, in areas where I never had a problem before (with CDMA). I often have to switch back to CDMA to continue a conversation... My AT&T friends are wondering what the problem is...

So really most everybody has VoLTE signal and call reliability now that is as good as VZW CDMA ever was? Even in buildings, etc?
    Yep. My phone is never not on LTE anymore and I rarely drop calls. I've lived in 2 markets in the past year in different states, both of which have a lot of topography challenges (which wreak havoc on cell signals). I'd honestly be fine with an LTE-only phone at this point.

Perhaps its time you got a new phone? Or looked into whether your phone might not be working properly? Something doesn't sound right about your situation to me.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Perhaps its time you got a new phone? Or looked into whether your phone might not be working properly? Something doesn't sound right about your situation to me.
    Well its a 6S that works in every other respect, but... ok, I'll ask around. I'll bet many other 6S owners don't even know how to switch on VoLTE... or what it is.

Is AT&T doing VoLTE now and customers having good call reliability? I'll have to poll around on that also...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Well its a 6S that works in every other respect, but... ok, I'll ask around. I'll bet many other 6S owners don't even know how to switch on VoLTE... or what it is.

Is AT&T doing VoLTE now and customers having good call reliability? I'll have to poll around on that also...
    One difference with ATT, I believe, is that they can drop to 3G during a call if necessary. At least in theory. Unlike Verizon.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Sure wish AT&T would start rolling out VoLTE to MNNO's. Would love to test it out in my area to compare to how disappointing Verizon VoLTE is in the areas I live & work. AT&T UMTS calling is so much better here. No more, "Can you hear me now"?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast