Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Is VZW VoLTE ready for primetime? (sunsetting CDMA)

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

Is VZW VoLTE ready for primetime? (sunsetting CDMA)

My experience is that there are many areas where VoLTE fails (or worse, where LTE isn't even available), compared with CDMA. I have had to switch off VoLTE (on my 6S) back to CDMA many times just to make calls. And my VoLTE calls often drop.

Unless there is some amazing improvement in LTE/VoLTE coverage in the next year, there are going to be many unhappy VZW customers (ex-customers) when CDMA is switched off...

Seems very premature to sunset CDMA in 2019...
    Its going to be a wonderful 2019 Xmas gift to AT&T...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    My experience is that there are many areas where VoLTE fails (or worse, where LTE isn't even available), compared with CDMA. I have had to switch off VoLTE (on my 6S) back to CDMA many times just to make calls. And my VoLTE calls often drop.

Unless there is some amazing improvement in LTE/VoLTE coverage in the next year, there are going to be many unhappy VZW customers (ex-customers) when CDMA is switched off...

Its going to be a wonderful gift to AT&T...
    Verizon still has another almost 18 months before they shut this down.. Verizon can still make tons of tweaks and improvements.. that would be the last of my worries

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Well, VZW had years to make EVDO solid and ubiquitous and yet there are still many areas that are 1xrtt only (no EVDO or LTE). So VoLTE is going to be as well covered as 1xrtt in 18mos? ok...

Feedback Score
    Well, VZW had years to make EVDO solid and ubiquitous and yet there are still many areas that are 1xrtt only (no EVDO or LTE). So VoLTE is going to be as well covered as 1xrtt in 18mos? ok...
    18 months is a long time in the wireless industry... if Verizon doesn't fix the issue they will lose all those customers cuz you guys won't have any service.. so I think Verizon will fix that issue

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Well I would assume the bands being used for CDMA will be converted into LTE to help those areas that are not LTE covered or weak LTE areas. Like others have said, 18 months is a long time and if you think Verizon is going to drop the ball (and risk losing lots of $$ and customers over it by sunsetting tech too early) well that is why you don't run these companies I guess.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ckoch125 View Post
    Well I would assume the bands being used for CDMA will be converted into LTE to help those areas that are not LTE covered or weak LTE areas. Like others have said, 18 months is a long time and if you think Verizon is going to drop the ball (and risk losing lots of $$ and customers over it by sunsetting tech too early) well that is why you don't run these companies I guess.
    For several years we’ve been publicly saying that our 3G CDMA network will remain available through the end of 2019. Virtually all traffic on our network is on our 4G LTE network,”

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    For several years we’ve been publicly saying that our 3G CDMA network will remain available through the end of 2019. Virtually all traffic on our network is on our 4G LTE network,”

I can't even remember the last time I was on CDMA. I'm always on LTE here in the DC area. Even several floors below ground, in a building without a DAS, I'm still on LTE on Verizon. Although at three levels down I'll only have one bar, but it's still showing LTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Its going to be a wonderful 2019 Xmas gift to AT&T...
    What areas specifically?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    What areas specifically?
    all you have to do is to travel through Upstate NY or the middle of PA and you'll encounter miles of territory with weak or no LTE.

VZW is/was the carrier of choice in the Northeast, including Upstate NY. But now I can't even hold a reliable conversation using VoLTE and general switch it off in favor of old CDMA. I've been with VZW for perhaps 10 years and I basically had never dropped any calls -- til I started using VoLTE. Then I dropped several calls every week.

Also building penetration seems worse with LTE. I suppose if/when they repurpose all of their 850Mhz bands to LTE that will be better, but certainly right now it isn't where it needs to be (to retain me as a customer, for one (actually many more than one)).

I don't know how you reconcile "Virtually all traffic on our network is on our 4G LTE network" with the millions of 3G and non-VoLTE-capable devices still on VZW... unless he is just talking on a per data-byte basis, which is the wrong statistic to cite.

Feedback Score
    all you have to do is to travel through Upstate NY or the middle of PA and you'll encounter miles of territory with weak or no LTE.

VZW is/was the carrier of choice in the Northeast, including Upstate NY. But now I can't even hold a reliable conversation using VoLTE and general switch it off in favor of old CDMA. I've been with VZW for perhaps 10 years and I basically had never dropped any calls -- til I started using VoLTE. Then I dropped several calls every week.

Also building penetration seems worse with LTE. I suppose if/when they repurpose all of their 850Mhz bands to LTE that will be better, but certainly right now it isn't where it needs to be (to retain me as a customer, for one (actually many more than one)).

I don't know how you reconcile "Virtually all traffic on our network is on our 4G LTE network" with the millions of 3G and non-VoLTE-capable devices still on VZW... unless he is just talking on a per data-byte basis, which is the wrong statistic to cite.
    I’m in the binghamton are and they have been dropping (prob millions) of $$$ on new infrastructure....new towers, small cells, ect ect. Northern PA still needs work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    I can't even remember the last time I was on CDMA.
    Same. It's been over a year since I saw my phone on 3G except when I'm in the underground parking garage of my building.

In the past year, I've lived in 2 different states and I travel all over the country. My Verizon phone is never NOT on LTE anymore. It's been this way for at least a year - probably more. 2-3 years ago, LTE was indeed very spotty.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    I’m in the binghamton are and they have been dropping (prob millions) of $$$ on new infrastructure....new towers, small cells, ect ect. Northern PA still needs work...
    ok, maybe they will work wonders in 18mos... I hope so because I (used to) like Verizon service... I'd rather not switch. Gonna have to be more than millions though...

Feedback Score

ok, maybe they will work wonders in 18mos... I hope so because I (used to) like Verizon service... I'd rather not switch. Gonna have to be more than millions though...
    They have put up about 15-25 small cell around me in about 1-2 years. So they can work wonders for sure. Trust me other providers are in far worse shape for an all IP calling network. Verizon is a solid first place in upstate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Not having CDMA fallback from LTE is forcing Verizon to densify, and they’ve done a great job doing so. I think we’ll see CDMA past 2020. Remember they can do it in very narrow channels 1.25 MHz x 1.25 MHz even after refarming their 850 MHz spectrum. There are many places now in NJ and NYC where volte is actually more reliable than 1x. 1x is still a great reliable network for voice especially in the boonies.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max, Google Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to say I have hope that Verizon will patch up their rough spots. But we'll see. It's not just rural areas either. Even in cities like Seattle there are places (residential areas) with bad signal. The Broadview neighborhood of Seattle has terrible signal for both Verizon and AT&T (Verizon gets 1X while AT&T has No Service). Meanwhile T-Mobile has at least two bars of B12 LTE in that same neighborhood? Not a good look for big red and blue.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast