Thread: Canada & WiFi Calling?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Canada & WiFi Calling?

Looking for some information. My sister-in-law is an AT&T customer and will be in Canada for several months. She does not want to pay $10/day for roaming but would like to have access to her incoming calls in Canada. She has access to WiFi. Can she put her phone in airplane mode, reactivate WiFi and WiFi calling and avoid paying roaming prices or will AT&T pick up the Canadian IP address and charge her anyway?
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    With the unlimited plan Mexico and Canada are like u in the states

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dante grantham View Post
    With the unlimited plan Mexico and Canada are like u in the states ....
    I don't know her plan. When she first picked up the Canadian cellular signal she got a text that said "Welcome to Canada" and explaining how to activate the $10/day roaming plan. She normally just turns her phone off and does not use it in Canada.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I don't know her plan. When she first picked up the Canadian cellular signal she got a text that said "Welcome to Canada" and explaining how to activate the $10/day roaming plan. She normally just turns her phone off and does not use it in Canada.
    I would check with her to find out what plan she has.

That said WiFi Calling will work and allow her to use her phone while it's in airplane mode and connected to wifi (provided the wifi network isn't blocking the feature).

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wi-Fi calling won't result in AT&T charging her for the calls, but depending on the quality of the Wi-Fi it may or may not be decent quality for voice.

It's been a couple of years since I did this, but another option (if still available and valid for her plan) is to call retentions (dial 611, option 3, option 4 - those options may have changed) and ask for "Roam North America" - it's free. For reference I am not on an unlimited plan, I'm on Mobile Share Value.

The $10 a day (plus several dollars of "fees, taxes, and tips") for the International Day Pass mounts up quickly. Have her look at AT&T Passport and see if that is a better choice (it lasts for 30 days, but there are limits on how much data/texts/voice you can use.

Feedback Score
    If she does the unlimited plan she can use her phone like she does here in the US. No overages or throttle. I am in Canada once a month. Works great

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I've decided not to push it. If she wants my information, she'll ask for it.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    If she wants to use it with WIFI just removing the SIM should suffice to protect her from roaming fees, then other network functions can still be used.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    If she wants to use it with WIFI just removing the SIM should suffice to protect her from roaming fees, then other network functions can still be used.
    I'm pretty sure that, without a SIM, it would lose the cell phone number and Wi-Fi calling and texting would not work.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that, without a SIM, it would lose the cell phone number and Wi-Fi calling and texting would not work.
    Definitely

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Definitely

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    The poster I was responding to was actually answering a question that wasn't asked. Removing the SIM, and using Wi-Fi, would allow you to use pretty much any data app on the phone without a risk of a cell phone shocking bill. Hangouts/iMessage. Web browsing. Maps. Facebook. FaceTime or Skype or Facebook Messenger calling. Just not traditional calling or texting.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    More than easy. Create a voip account on something like voip.ms, then forward your number to your VoIP one. In the VoIP settings set your caller ID number to your number and install any sip phone application on your phone. Done - you will have WiFi calling enabled anywhere where you will have a network connection on your phone.