Thread: Bell Towers in Pontiac, Quebec

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Bell Towers in Pontiac, Quebec

Hi:

I have a cottage in the Pontiac, near Ladysmith. I have a Wilson cell phone amp and an external antenna to get any kind of service. Up until now I have only had G3 on band 5 (850 Mhz). Starting this last winter, I now can get LTE band 13 (700 Mhz). So, I had to upgrade my amp.

However, I now notice that both to the west, nearer Campbell's Bay, and to the east, nearer Wakefield, Bell uses band 17 for LTE service. Which is more "normal". I have never seen band 13 in Ottawa. So, why does Bell have band 13 coverage around Otter Lake? (I believe it's the tower near Omer). Lucky, my phone supports band 13, but not all phones do. I plan to add a cellular hotspot, but I have not found one that supports band 13. So, again, why use band 13 and not band 17?

Also, lately, I have noticed that band 5 service is almost gone from the area, leaving us with little to no voice service. What's going on? I can use Google Hangout, etc for voice calls, but in an emergency with no 911, I worry about getting help.

Does anyone have any insights? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rogeri View Post
    Hi:

I have a cottage in the Pontiac, near Ladysmith. I have a Wilson cell phone amp and an external antenna to get any kind of service. Up until now I have only had G3 on band 5 (850 Mhz). Starting this last winter, I now can get LTE band 13 (700 Mhz). So, I had to upgrade my amp.

However, I now notice that both to the west, nearer Campbell's Bay, and to the east, nearer Wakefield, Bell uses band 17 for LTE service. Which is more "normal". I have never seen band 13 in Ottawa. So, why does Bell have band 13 coverage around Otter Lake? (I believe it's the tower near Omer). Lucky, my phone supports band 13, but not all phones do. I plan to add a cellular hotspot, but I have not found one that supports band 13. So, again, why use band 13 and not band 17?

Also, lately, I have noticed that band 5 service is almost gone from the area, leaving us with little to no voice service. What's going on? I can use Google Hangout, etc for voice calls, but in an emergency with no 911, I worry about getting help.

Does anyone have any insights? Thanks.
    You need to find a hotspot that supports B12.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    A hotspot supporting band 12 would not be useful. Band 12 is a superset of band 17. Band 13 is stand alone with no overlap with the other two 700 Mhz bands. (from what I understand)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Right sorry. I guess that you're out of luck if you can't get B5 HSPA+. I'm not sure what they've been doing out there but B5 has been reframed to LTE in Ontario so it's only 1 Carrier instead of 2..Maybe they only had one carrier and reframed it to LTE I'm really not sure:/
    A hotspot supporting band 12 would not be useful. Band 12 is a superset of band 17. Band 13 is stand alone with no overlap with the other two 700 Mhz bands. (from what I understand)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    All the sites around Thorne Lake / Otter Lake area have B12/B17. Not sure why you're not seeing it.

As for Ottawa, that's Telus territory. They might have a different strategy for deploying B13 in urban areas.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi:

Thanks for the replies. I agree, most of the sites up in the area are band 17. I am surprises I only get band 13. At least that's what my phone shows (using a couple of LTE apps like LTE Discovery). I only "see" the one tower. I am surrounded by hills on three sides, so the tower from Omer is the only one I can get.

I also wonder if they are switching band 5 over to LTE. It's weird, the signal was pretty solid for years. Now it's in and out, and sometimes it disappears for hours. Maybe they are working on it?

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi:

Thanks for the replies. I agree, most of the sites up in the area are band 17. I am surprises I only get band 13. At least that's what my phone shows (using a couple of LTE apps like LTE Discovery). I only "see" the one tower. I am surrounded by hills on three sides, so the tower from Omer is the only one I can get.

I also wonder if they are switching band 5 over to LTE. It's weird, the signal was pretty solid for years. Now it's in and out, and sometimes it disappears for hours. Maybe they are working on it?

Thanks again.
    I think being this rural is why your having trouble getting any signal...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi:

Thanks again.
    What phone do you have? Can you see the EARFCN or eNB ID?

The Omer site definitely has B12.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    What phone do you have? Can you see the EARFCN or eNB ID?

The Omer site definitely has B12.
    Thanks for the reply.

I am up at the cottage now. Here is the information.

I have a Moto E4.

eNB-LCID. 550029-23

EARFCN
    DL 5255
    UL. 23255

FREQ
    DL. 753.5 MHz
    UL. 784.5 MHz

Thanks, again for your help.

Roger

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You should also see B17 with EARFCN 5815 and I believe MFBI B12 with EARFCN 5145.
    Different eNB, but same site.

eNB ID will be 555285.
    Cell ID will be 14.
    PCI will be 364.
    If you have a Samsung phone handy, force it to LTE B12 to verify. Dial *#2263#

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I tried with an older Moto G3. It does not support band 13. But it did see

555285-14 with PCI 389.

But would not connect. I will try again, it had an old unregistered SIM installed.

I am still confused. But thanks for all your help.

Roger

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ok that's good. So the B17 cell is in service. Sorry, I mixed up the PCI. Cell 14 is indeed 389. Cell 13 would be 364.

All B17 cells should have MFBI with B12, so you should be able to use B12 equally as much as B17.
    Last edited by sheytoon; 07-30-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just a quick update and to say thanks again. I recently purchased a Netgear Nighthawk cellular router. At the cottage it does indeed connect on Band 12. So, the question is; Why does my phone always connect on Band 13?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    B13 may have a slightly higher priority because fewer phones support it, so it's one possible strategy to do load balancing.