Thread: Shaw WiFi to avoid data charges?

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Shaw WiFi to avoid data charges?

Excuse me if this is a well-discussed topic. I'm presently roaming Salt Spring Island, BC with my T-Mobile phone and find the cell service to be pretty weak. Like if I walk into a restaurant or shop, my cellular connection will drop. OTOH, Shaw seems to have WiFi hotspots on every utility pole. I was helping my s-i-l set up her Shaw cable service and was reading the manual and noticed that they tout their extensive network of WiFi hotspots as a way to avoid Canada's notoriously high data overages. It looks like this is something that Shaw offers to their Internet customers as a no-charge benefit.

Does anyone have experience using Shaw's WiFi hotspots? How many devices can be registered to an account. Is there a down-side or cost to doing this?
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    While I have never used that wifi network, your carrier will not charge you if you use wifi for calling/data as long as the phone is set to airplane mode and not connecting to the cellular network instead. Whether you have to pay to use the local wifi network will be determined when you attempt to connect. Good luck.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    On my T-Mobile plan I'm not charged for roaming in Canada. My only complaint is that the Bell/Telus service in Ganges Long Harbor is fairly spotty, such that I drop service when I go indoors. At the same place, the Shaw hotspot signal remains strong.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    The various Shaw plans allow different numbers. I have one of the cheapest plans and it allows 6 devices. This can be checked easily by logging into your s-I-l’s account, or by using the Shaw app. Adding or deleting devices is easy so if I have short term guests I’ll put them on until they leave.

Device(s)
    ZTE Grand X 4
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Excuse me if this is a well-discussed topic. I'm presently roaming Salt Spring Island, BC with my T-Mobile phone and find the cell service to be pretty weak. Like if I walk into a restaurant or shop, my cellular connection will drop. OTOH, Shaw seems to have WiFi hotspots on every utility pole. I was helping my s-i-l set up her Shaw cable service and was reading the manual and noticed that they tout their extensive network of WiFi hotspots as a way to avoid Canada's notoriously high data overages. It looks like this is something that Shaw offers to their Internet customers as a no-charge benefit.

Does anyone have experience using Shaw's WiFi hotspots? How many devices can be registered to an account. Is there a down-side or cost to doing this?
    I have experience using Shaw Go WiFi hotspots in many BC and Prairie Province locations. The number of devices depends on the type of account, you'll see the number when logged into Shaw My Account with your credentials. The cost of it is already included in your Shaw subscription. Often a business will offer both Shaw Open for anyone without a password and then another one restricted to Shaw customers (ie. "Shaw PassPoint" or something like that) but also without a password.