Thread: Summer road trips with sprint

Feedback Score

Summer road trips with sprint

How is your guys driving around on road trips with sprint? I went on few roads trips, after porting out from t-mobile and getting sprint 1 year of free service. I got far more coverage on sprint in rural areas than t-mobile.

Feedback Score
    Maybe because Sprint roams on Verizon?

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It would depend on which state/area. Most likely due to roaming though. I wonder what will happen to Sprint roaming once T-Mobile finishes its purchase
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    This has been my experience, too. Especially true about voice coverage. I actually utilize all four networks at the same time because I need coverage for work. Verizon is undisputed king, att next, then sprint, then tmo. However, I don't have a phone that supports band 71 yet.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This is my first summer travel without Sprint. In my home state (Oregon), roaming has just become too hard to make work. It may be that the device is clinging on to a faint Sprint signal, but the net effect is the same as no service. All in places a Sprint phone used to work great.

So here's to hoping the T-Mobile merger will improve coverage to the point where roaming isn't needed, or becomes cheap enough for the combined entity to offer roaming with real but reasonable limits.

BTW- I realize everything cellular depends on where you are, and realize this isn't everyone's experience.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vvk View Post
    This has been my experience, too. Especially true about voice coverage. I actually utilize all four networks at the same time because I need coverage for work. Verizon is undisputed king, att next, then sprint, then tmo. However, I don't have a phone that supports band 71 yet.
    Are you using MVNO’s to connect to all 4? If so what about the smaller regional roaming carriers? The MVNO’s don’t roam on those usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I liked roaming on Verizon when I went on road trips but it got old fast only having 1x data speeds for hours, even days on end, so I first started carrying an AT&T secondary, and eventually just dumped Sprint all together. This was 3-4 years ago already. I can’t imagine how anyone could put up with that crap now.

Feedback Score
    Just came back from Lake Placid, NY. Pretty good Sprint coverage, with roaming on Verizon in more remote areas. Good LTE signal in town. Nothing better than edge on T Mobile, with zero signal in lots of places. I saw no usable data signal on my TMo devices. Overall, very good AT&T coverage in the area.

Feedback Score
    Depends on the area. NYC was decent, Washington, DC was fine, no surprises there. Maine was really good, again, no surprise, as USCC is really good. Sprint beat my AT&T phone several times because of USCC. In Iowa, Sprint has some areas with more native coverage than AT&T, and USCC roaming again, very useful. A few places in Wisconsin, they were better as well. Michigan, not so much. Without USCC and a strong market presence there, their coverage was lousy, speeds were lousy, everything was lousy.