Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to stop spam/robocalls from leaving voicemail?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a, Samsung A1e (active)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

How to stop spam/robocalls from leaving voicemail?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 purchased from TracFone and I am experimenting with the Nomorerobo and Hiya apps to block spam and robocalls. Each of those apps is doing a reasonably good job so far, but a blocked phone call seems to result in a voicemail being left by the spammer.

I find that clearing my voicemail of the spam messages is almost as annoying as manually declining the spam calls. Is it possible to prevent voicemail from being left by a spam caller while using apps such as Nomorerobo and Hiya? Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Do you receive legit voicemail at that phone number? If not, let the voicemail box fill up and it won't accept any more voicemail.

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    does your phone have number block function.. Everytime I get a spam/robocall, I block it.. Not sure if I have a limit on numbers I can block, but if i do, have not hit it yet..

Device(s)
    TF iPhone SE, Tracfone Samsung Galaxy S7, TF iPhone 6S, TF Luna Pro
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Maybe there is an app that can do it - stop blocked numbers from leaving voicemails?

Some articles online point to this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lcontrol&hl=en

Don't know if it works/is good, or if can be used with your other apps etc, or if there are others.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is kinda why I don't use my voicemail right now. For some reason, I still get spam/robocalls even tho I have done many things to "try" to stop them. So it is just hard to stop them for some reason.

Device(s)
    TF iPhone SE, Tracfone Samsung Galaxy S7, TF iPhone 6S, TF Luna Pro
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I got a number from TF and it was awful. So many calls of every type. I changed the number and got lucky. New number is as quiet as can be going on a month now. Plus it has my area code which I thought was weird. The other number I've been using for years is also very quiet. I can't imagine not using voicemail since I don't like having the phone near me all the time.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    There are a few different types of call blocker apps, besides the simplest types.

Nomorobo is supposed to be a bit more sophisticated, but I dont know to what extent.

There are some that with the help of a data connection go to an online lookup of known offenders to compare. Or some that use data to download that info to a stored file on the device for offline use, periodically updating it when data or Wi-Fi is in use.

Another type of feature which I don't know the exact name of works off a white list of allowed callers (usually your stored Contacts) and blocks any callers not on that list from ringing, but does a trick where it actually picks up the call then hangs up, which keeps them from hitting your voicemail. This being transparent to you, except for probably a configurable log you can examine or not.

Additional: Search for "Call Blocker No Voicemail".

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lappers View Post
    I got a number from TF and it was awful. So many calls of every type. I changed the number and got lucky. New number is as quiet as can be going on a month now. Plus it has my area code which I thought was weird. The other number I've been using for years is also very quiet. I can't imagine not using voicemail since I don't like having the phone near me all the time.
    The weird thing is my dad's number gets very few spam/robocalls, and he has had that number for years.

As for my number, I was getting getting about two maybe three a week at the start. There was a few that I did answer because I knew who they was even tho they did not have my number at the start. I found out from them that someone else had my number before me, and she had bills and collections after her. Yes, they was asking for a girl. Ever since getting those people to remove "my" number, it went down to about three or four per month. In the last month, I have only got one of these spam/robocalls. So I might start using my voicemail sometime.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    The weird thing is my dad's number gets very few spam/robocalls, and he has had that number for years.
    I've had my main number with Tracfone since 2001. It's on the No-Call Registry. The legit businesses (political surveys, fundraisers, charities, etc) comply with the laws and don't call me. I get 2-3 unwanted calls a month, mostly from spammers trying to impersonate Microsoft offering to "fix" my computers. Little do they know that I'm a retired IT guy and know computers very well. I just hang up on any call from a number that I don't recognize. If they have a legit reason to call me, they can leave me a voicemail. If they don't leave a voicemail, their number is added to the ever-growing Block List.

My backup number on Tracfone that I got about 2 years ago gets a lot of unwanted calls. It's not on the No-Call Registry. The previous owner of that number is a deadbeat and most of the calls are from debt collectors. Since I only use that phone for testing and don't give that number out (except to a forum member for testing), I don't answer any call on it. I put it on vibration mode, and the voicemail is not activated. The spammers are just wasting their time calling it.

Device(s)
    LG Fiesta 2, ZTE ZMAX 2, Samsung T209, Nokia 6010
    Carrier(s)
    TF-Verizon, TF-ATT, TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I have the free version of CallDetector that TF recommended with my phones. It doesn't seem to have the issues you describe. I never got a voicemail from a blocked call. I use NoMoRobo on my home line, I wasn't aware the Android version was out now. I am surprised that they end up in voice mail.

Device(s)
    Moto G5+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/ATT
    Feedback Score
    I have use app Should I Answer Personal Edition
    Settings > Advanced Blocking > Use "Pick and hang up" to protect voice mail On/Off

Works VERY VERY VERY WELL

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ianswerpersona

Feedback Score
    You can set an extended absence greeting that requires callers to press "1" to leave you a message or you can record a greeting instructing callers to press * to leave a message followed by as much silence as the voicemail system will allow.
    Last edited by jkee; 08-08-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I've had my main number with Tracfone since 2001. It's on the No-Call Registry. The legit businesses (political surveys, fundraisers, charities, etc) comply with the laws and don't call me. I get 2-3 unwanted calls a month, mostly from spammers trying to impersonate Microsoft offering to "fix" my computers. Little do they know that I'm a retired IT guy and know computers very well. I just hang up on any call from a number that I don't recognize. If they have a legit reason to call me, they can leave me a voicemail. If they don't leave a voicemail, their number is added to the ever-growing Block List.

My backup number on Tracfone that I got about 2 years ago gets a lot of unwanted calls. It's not on the No-Call Registry. The previous owner of that number is a deadbeat and most of the calls are from debt collectors. Since I only use that phone for testing and don't give that number out (except to a forum member for testing), I don't answer any call on it. I put it on vibration mode, and the voicemail is not activated. The spammers are just wasting their time calling it.
    My dad's phone is not on the National Do Not Call Registry. I did put mine on the National Do Not Call Registry shortly after I was getting these calls.

Some of the calls are very fun to play with at times. Whenever I pick up, I start talking like an old person that is hard of hearing. Most of the time, they hang up, but other times they try to get more info. If they start wanting more info, the two that is fun to play with is the car warranty is about ready to expire and lowering your interest rate calls. If you tell the car warranty calls that you have like 1968 Impala or 1959 Edsel, they just hang up. If you get the lowering your interest rate calls, you can ask them if they are going to pay you because you have no credit cards. They still talk about it, but you keep on repeating that question. Then after third or forth repeat, they finally understand that question, and they hung up. This even sometimes stops them from calling back.

The newest is one that my dad has got is from DirecTV. Since my dad and I use TV antennas, he asked them "Are you going to pay us?" Since we only need the local channel and we never watch the paid channels any more anyway, that is why we do that. They are very pushy and try to add other thing to package like cell service and other things. Then we told them how much we pay, they are very confused on how we got it so cheap, and they hang up.

I have other ways to get rid of some of the other calls, but I love playing with some of them at times.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I have other ways to get rid of some of the other calls, but I love playing with some of them at times.
    I don't bother playing with the spammers. I've read news of some spammers who got agitated when jerked around and made "SWATTING Call" to your home.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a, Samsung A1e (active)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkee View Post
    You can set an extended absence greeting that requires callers to press "1" to leave you a message or you can record a greeting instructing callers to press "#" to leave a message followed by as much silence as the voicemail system will allow.
    I would like to continue to use my voicemail for legitimate messages. How can I set up a requirement that a caller press 1 (or something else) to leave a voicemail? Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast