Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to stop spam/robocalls from leaving voicemail?

Feedback Score
    check if your voicemail has the extended absence greeting option under personal options. This blocks legit robo calls too unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't bother playing with the spammers. I've read news of some spammers who got agitated when jerked around and made "SWATTING Call" to your home.
    What's a "SWATTING Call"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
    Someone calls the police and reports a dangerous situation going on at the address and the SWAT team arrives and sometimes really bad things happen.

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Feedback Score
    The term even made it onto Wikipedia:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatting

I hope the people who initiate frivolous swatting calls are found and prosecuted to the fullest extent possible.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Do a Google search on "Wichita Swatting" and you'll see info about a deadly situation that happened in Wichita KS last December. All because some online gamers had a dispute, and caused an innocent man to be killed by police.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't bother playing with the spammers. I've read news of some spammers who got agitated when jerked around and made "SWATTING Call" to your home.
    I know what you are talking about. That is why I don't pick up most of them.

My family has been living in this small town for a long time. So everyone knows everyone type of thing. Plus I live very close to the police department.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a, Samsung A1e (active)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I toggled the should I answer app properly and it still allowed spam calls to voicemail. I read in the New York Times today that only your carrier's spam call detector can intercept spam calls before they go to voicemail. Call Detector (TracFone's app) still allows spam calls to go to voicemail. Google Play would not allow me to download Verizon's Call ID spam call blocker app to my TracFone purchased Samsung S6. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    There used to be at least two apps in the Play Store that supposedly were for this specific purpose.

One was called "Call Voicemail Blocker" and the other "Call Blocker No Spam Voicemail". They are both gone now, though, for whatever reason. No idea if they were effective or not.

You might find them at some alternative .apk repository though. I checked on apkmirror.com but neither were there.

Feedback Score
    Never had a spam caller leave a voicemail on my Tracfone until today and today I had two!! I certainly don’t like this trend.
    I want to be able to use voicemail for legitimate calls, just completely ignoring voicemail is not a good option for me. Is there any way to delete voicemails without accessing them. I don’t want to waste my minutes accessing and deleting voicemails.

Feedback Score
    Maybe it is possible to dial into voicemail using Hangouts as a substitute for a landline. I think you will have to call in somehow.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Maybe it is possible to dial into voicemail using Hangouts as a substitute for a landline. I think you will have to call in somehow.
    Yep, I use GV/Hangouts to manage voicemail. Put my phone into Airplane mode so it won't answer, turn on WiFi, call my own cell number. Press * to interrupt the greeting (on TF/Verizon) then enter my password. I can take as much time as I want and not worry about losing minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrrl1 View Post
    Is there any way to delete voicemails without accessing them. I don’t want to waste my minutes accessing and deleting voicemails.
    If you have Visual Voicemail it is easy to note the messages and delete them if needed. No dialing in, no password, no menus to go through.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, these are great tips. I will use this to avoid having voicemail eat up minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrrl1 View Post
    Thanks, these are great tips. I will use this to avoid having voicemail eat up minutes.
    Visual Voicemail does not use call minutes, but does use some data. If you have it, it can't be turned off in the phone. About 100 KB per downloaded message.

Feedback Score
    I use Mr Number and it does a great of job of blocking some of these calls that come on. Unfortunately it can't detect all of them and I can have a filter setup on what rings my phone and what does not. I guess this app uses an auto hang up algorithm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast