Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Cellular launches fixed services over existing LTE network

Feedback Score

U.S. Cellular launches fixed services over existing LTE network

U.S. Cellular is now offering a fixed wireless service over its existing LTE network in select locations throughout its coverage area. The company said the offering is designed to make use of excess network capacity in rural areas that might not have access to a wired internet connection, and that it is helping to drive sales of the company’s phones and mobile services.

U.S. Cellular’s new service ranges in price from 20 GB for $40 per month to 90 GB for $70 per month. Users who travel over their data allotment don’t face overage charges but will have their connections slowed to 2G speeds. Interestingly, U.S. Cellular also offers an “unlimited” option but cautions that users who consume more than 160 GB per month on that plan will then have their connections slowed to 2G speeds.
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/...ng-lte-network

Cellular fixed LTE is currently available in remote areas of Kansas and Nebraska, and the company expects to make more fixed wireless deployments in 2018.
    https://www.telecompetitor.com/ceo-w...ork-just-fine/

Device(s)
    Motorola Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think this will be a good resource for many people. The article is right in saying 5G will not be as useful for users in rural areas. I worry about USC's data speeds. They're already pretty slow. I would imagine their fixed internet experience would be similar to high speed DSL.

Also, the pricing on their website does not match what's on this article. The pricing on the website is as follows:

$15/mo - 2GB
    $25/mo - 4GB
    $40/mo - 10GB
    $90/mo - 30GB
    $180/mo - 60GB
    $360/mo - 120GB

https://m.uscellular.com/uscellular/...der/index.html

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Motorola Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think this will be a good resource for many people. The article is right in saying 5G will not be as useful for users in rural areas. I worry about USC's data speeds. They're already pretty slow. I would imagine their fixed internet experience would be similar to high speed DSL.

Also, the pricing on their website does not match what's on this article. The pricing on the website is as follows:

$15/mo - 2GB
    $25/mo - 4GB
    $40/mo - 10GB
    $90/mo - 30GB
    $180/mo - 60GB
    $360/mo - 120GB

https://m.uscellular.com/uscellular/...der/index.html

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    From that URL:
    +$5.50/mo 36 month RIC for D-Link High-Speed Internet Router
    All plans will automatically shift to 2G speeds when high-speed data allotment is reached. Taxes and charges such as USF and RCRF apply.

So how much do these cost?

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's available here in Mendocino County (rural Northwest California), though it would really only be worth it if you're in an area without wired HSI or a WISP, and there are a lot of areas like that here, it's very rural, rugged and heavily forested, with a lot of remote and isolated areas. I have Comcast in Redwood Valley, 150/10 (provisioned 180/12) Blast, and soon, Gigabit will be here, they just upgraded our system to DOCSIS 3.1, so I think I'll pass on USCC's offer

Edit-I wonder, how competitive do you think this is with satellite HSI?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrobe View Post
    From that URL:
    +$5.50/mo 36 month RIC for D-Link High-Speed Internet Router
    All plans will automatically shift to 2G speeds when high-speed data allotment is reached. Taxes and charges such as USF and RCRF apply.

So how much do these cost?
    It looks like you'll have to either call or visit a USCC store or authorized dealer to find out, they don't seem to be selling it online.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    I wonder, how competitive do you think this is with satellite HSI?
    Satellite internet service has serious latency issues because of the distance to the satellite.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ajholik View Post
    I worry about USC's data speeds. They're already pretty slow. I would imagine their fixed internet experience would be similar to high speed DSL.

Also, the pricing on their website does not match what's on this article.
    My current home cellular internet averages 2.5 meg down. US Cellular's should be more than 10 meg in my area. No cable or dsl here (or Sprint, TMobile, or Att) and satellite is last resort, no way I'd go back. Speeds are plenty, not like people are used to fast internet, connecting multiple devices without restrictions, or streaming content in some areas (speed and data caps).

Also, their plans here match the article.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by name_here View Post
    My current home cellular internet averages 2.5 meg down. US Cellular's should be more than 10 meg in my area. No cable or dsl here (or Sprint, TMobile, or Att) and satellite is last resort, no way I'd go back. Speeds are plenty, not like people are used to fast internet, connecting multiple devices without restrictions, or streaming content in some areas (speed and data caps).

Also, their plans here match the article.
    Is there a WISP near you?

Feedback Score
    No. (10 characters needed to post)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    No. (10 characters needed to post)
    Are you absolutely sure? You might, check these sites-

http://www.wispa.org/Directories/Find-a-WISP

http://www.bbwexchange.com/wisps/index.asp

http://www.wispdirectory.com/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrobe View Post
    Satellite internet service has serious latency issues because of the distance to the satellite.
    Yeah, that's true, but I was thinking more about speeds and download limits.

Feedback Score
    The closest town to me is about 15 driving/12 as the crow flies miles away. It has a population of about 230. There are no retail stores there other than a one register, probably under 2000 sq. Ft. grocery store. No wisp, if there were, couldn't get it, too many trees plus the distance. 50 miles away is a wisp, working range of that is about 5 miles. They have 3 Meg service that costs the same as my "up to 4" cellular (I have a Wilson booster to get a signal). It's possible that might expand to "my" village, but not much point attempting to get a signal if it does, vs what I have.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The closest town to me is about 15 driving/12 as the crow flies miles away. It has a population of about 230. There are no retail stores there other than a one register, probably under 2000 sq. Ft. grocery store. No wisp, if there were, couldn't get it, too many trees plus the distance. 50 miles away is a wisp, working range of that is about 5 miles. They have 3 Meg service that costs the same as my "up to 4" cellular (I have a Wilson booster to get a signal). It's possible that might expand to "my" village, but not much point attempting to get a signal if it does, vs what I have.
    I can totally understand that, it sounds a lot like our area (Mendocino County, Northwestern California), very rural, rugged, heavily forested, and we have Redwoods that can get close to 400 feet in height! A lot of isolated and remote locations, we have a good number who live off the grid. I'm lucky here in Redwood Valley (halfway between Ukiah and Willits), I have Comcast HSI (formerly Adelphia), cell carriers at my place are AT&T, VZ, TMO and USCC (no Sprint in our county, they roam on USCC for service), but this is a very unserved/underserved area for broadband.

Edit-All of NW CA is like that, it's one of the hardest place in the US to cover. We have several areas with unusable or no cell service, thankfully, we have a good callbox program, they cover the state (20, 128, 253, 162) and federal (US 101) highways. http://www.mendocinocog.org/safe.shtml

Feedback Score
    Yeah, that's true, but I was thinking more about speeds and download limits.
    Satellite plans vary by zip code. My zip, for $100 ($30 off regular price for two years) Hughesnet has 50GB for the month before throttling, plus 50GB for the month after midnight zone, up to 25 meg download. Very good actually. Viasat's new plan in my area, their cheapest, is $100, 35GB before throttling, no additional zone, plus streaming video capped at 360p, up to 12 meg service. Both add $10/month or so for equipment. Plus primetime congestion is common, especially after more people get on the new satellites. VPN could get around video restrictions, but don't work well with satellite. After throttling, well under one meg happens commonly. Some areas, with congestion, can see that even before going over the limit. My area had installs for Viasat closed for most of the last 6 years due to being full. Other zip codes with Viasat have cheaper plans, faster too, they aimed more capacity at densely populated areas.

I had satellite for 7 years, I'm still around it, and have been around it for over 20 years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast