Thread: Bell Coverage - It's more like a ghost signal

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Thumbs down Bell Coverage - It's more like a ghost signal

You're probably all heard about Verizon getting sued for hundred of millions for overstating their coverage area - and I feel like Bell does the same thing.

It's a broad stoke of the brush with Bell's coverage map - and ............ you're covered. Not quite.

A lot of of the places in Northern Ontario I visit have a Ghost Signal. So 3-4 Bars of HSPA and the thing still isn't usable or other places with 2-3 bars of LTE and still a trickle of data if at all.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    You're probably all heard about Verizon getting sued for hundred of millions for overstating their coverage area - and I feel like Bell does the same thing.

It's a broad stoke of the brush with Bell's coverage map - and ............ you're covered. Not quite.

A lot of of the places in Northern Ontario I visit have a Ghost Signal. So 3-4 Bars of HSPA and the thing still isn't usable or other places with 2-3 bars of LTE and still a trickle of data if at all.
    Where exactly have you experienced this?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post

If you're referring to either that area from Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay or Timmins to Thunder Bay, I would tend to agree with you on that. That area has some TBayTel/Rogers coverage on 3G (more than Bell.. for now). West of Thunder Bay to Manitoba both TBayTel/Rogers and Bell have service on the highway.. but not much beyond.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Bell used to have a roaming agreement with TBaytel
    Funny how coverage maps got better after TBaytel got in bed with Rogers
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Bell used to have a roaming agreement with TBaytel
    Funny how coverage maps got better after TBaytel got in bed with Rogers
    Yeah... that was probably when TBaytel ran CDMA 1x. It was weird.. a LONG time ago, I roamed up there (White River) on Superior Wireless on AMPS. Superior Wireless -> Dryden Telephone -> TBayTel (If I recall correctly), and did a deal with Rogers. Its been many moons since I've been up there, but TBayTel covers most of highway 17, and a large gap on 11 - even if its only 3G. Bell covers more of highway 11, but claims LTE, and has huge gaps on 17. I find it strange that Rogers can roam on Bell in the area, but Bell can't roam on TBayTel in the area.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Oh thats easy
    The rules for roaming is you can only roam free in areas where you have no service

Bell services that market directly since they fought with TBayTel back in the day
    (They actually bragged about how their network would be better and they would crush TBayTel hehe)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Oh thats easy
    The rules for roaming is you can only roam free in areas where you have no service

Bell services that market directly since they fought with TBayTel back in the day
    (They actually bragged about how their network would be better and they would crush TBayTel hehe)
    Well... in some ways, they might be better than Rogers/TBaytel. They do have more sites 'in the towns' on highway 17, but nothing in between. On highway 11, they've built out a bit.
    The interesting part which I've looked at is why service generally 'sucks' up there .. besides the spacing.
    Rogers/TBaytel ==> 3G using 5MHz only on 850MHz (repurposed old analog from Superior wireless days) many omni sites.
    Bell is using 700MHz LTE with 1900MHz (3G/LTE) mostly 5MHz - many using 3 sectors.

Once you get into the 'cities' where there these carriers have an actual presence, spectrum is on mulitple bands and makes full use of available.

5MHz on LTE or HSPA will saturate quickly. I've had this on T-Mobile driving up I-75 through Michigan. Most places in the US (at least on T-Mobile) have at least 15MHz deployed unless they don't have licenses. In my area, even in rural areas, its typically band 4 20x20.

Steve Nikkels site gives a good bit about the spectrum usage and sites.
    https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html