Thread: ATT Watch Streaming $15 plus $29.99 unlimited ipad data

Feedback Score

ATT Watch Streaming $15 plus $29.99 unlimited ipad data

So I am getting fed up with Spectrum internet pricing and looking at ways to ditch them. Curious if the following would work.

Sign up for the $29.99 per month unlimited ipad data promotion and add $15 per month ATT streaming watch. Mirror the shows on ipad to my tv through Apple TV.

Is it really possible to do this with no compromises for roughly $45 per month? Im assuming that data doesnt count towards the 22 GB limit since its their streaming service.

Thoughts??

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Spectrum Television does not use your data allowance. If you are just interested in television viewing, you can reduce your data allowance and speed to save money.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MayorOfSexyTown View Post
    Sign up for the $29.99 per month unlimited ipad data promotion and add $15 per month ATT streaming watch. Mirror the shows on ipad to my tv through Apple TV.
    It should work, only issue is I wouldn't assume that WatchTV data doesn't count toward your data bucket unless AT&T explicitly says so or someone who tries it reports that it doesn't.

What's your current Internet pricing with Spectrum?

Feedback Score
    My bill keeps creeping up and tired of calling retentions and getting $10 shaved off per month to have it pulled months later. Current bill looks like the following:

Internet= $65 per month
    Spectrum streaming= $20 per month
    Taxes, line fees etc= $10 per month

All in we are at like $95-$100 per month with just internet and streaming through Charter Spectrum.

Feedback Score
    You can probably swing it with a few caveats:

1) The T&C indicate that there is no hotspot allowance on the DataConnect pass plans except for a few fixed data bucket plans. That means that each of your other online-capable devices will have to have their own Internet connection (as opposed to using Spectrum's potentially house-wide Internet service)

2) The iPad is basically going to be tethered (logically, not physically) to the AppleTV and not be terribly mobile because you probably can't have someone in essence walking off with the TV.

Neither of these is necessarily a major issue if you only have one TV and none of your non-iPad devices need Internet access of their own.

In terms of WatchTV, I haven't really read many reviews of it yet but it is basically a cut-down version of DirecTV Now which seems to have polarized reviews - some people love it, others have terrible buffering issues. There is another service, Philo, that is very similar to WatchTV but has a slightly different channel mix at $16/month. If WatchTV isn't zero-rated on DataConnect, then Philo may be an option.

Feedback Score
    Philo also has unlimited dvr and allows 3 simultaneous streams, at&t watch does not have dvr and only 1 stream.

Feedback Score
    IIRC Philo has broader device support as well, and you can use Philo credentials to access content directly from some of their providers; at this point, WatchTV doesn't allow credentials to be used. WatchTV does have on demand content available, though.

Feedback Score
    This is all good feedback. Ive thought about the fact that the ipad would basically be the tv and unable to be used for other stuff while projecting. Thats a bummer but not a deal breaker.

Has anyone used the mirror function from ipad to tv?? Is it laggy at all? If it wasnt seamless Id probably drop the idea. Not worth saving $50 a month if thats the case.

Losing whole house wifi i dont think would be a killer because our ipads are cellular and we have a ton of leftover data we could hotspot from our Verizon Prepaid phones. My current ipad i use T mobile $10 for 5 GB which is a steal. For whatever reason Clash of Clans doesnt load on wifi so i just buy cellular data.

Feedback Score
    This is all good feedback. Ive thought about the fact that the ipad would basically be the tv and unable to be used for other stuff while projecting. Thats a bummer but not a deal breaker.
    With your ~$50/month savings you could basically write off the iPad. Admittedly I'm not familiar with current iPad cellular devices, but $50 savings for 12 months should cover the cost of getting a new iPad for personal use if you donate your current one to TV watching.

Has anyone used the mirror function from ipad to tv?? Is it laggy at all? If it wasnt seamless Id probably drop the idea. Not worth saving $50 a month if thats the case.
    As an Android person, i can't speak to this directly but I've seen AirPlay mirroring in action and it worked fine; I didn't see a lot of video, though.

IMHO the best thing to do before biting the bullet would be to:
    1) Get a trial for WatchTV here
    2) Try it out with your iPad and AppleTV.
    3) Make sure the data used for WatchTV is zero-rated with the DataConnect Pass.

One other factor is whether you want 4K support since I'm not sure you can get good 4K streaming over AirPlay.

Losing whole house wifi i dont think would be a killer because our ipads are cellular and we have a ton of leftover data we could hotspot from our Verizon Prepaid phones. My current ipad i use T mobile $10 for 5 GB which is a steal. For whatever reason Clash of Clans doesnt load on wifi so i just buy cellular data.
    A thought - if you have lots of leftover data on your cell plans, is it possible to cut the data buckets to save some money and use the savings to cut your Spectrum bill?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornos View Post
    With your ~$50/month savings you could basically write off the iPad. Admittedly I'm not familiar with current iPad cellular devices, but $50 savings for 12 months should cover the cost of getting a new iPad for personal use if you donate your current one to TV watching.

As an Android person, i can't speak to this directly but I've seen AirPlay mirroring in action and it worked fine; I didn't see a lot of video, though.

IMHO the best thing to do before biting the bullet would be to:
    1) Get a trial for WatchTV here
    2) Try it out with your iPad and AppleTV.
    3) Make sure the data used for WatchTV is zero-rated with the DataConnect Pass.

One other factor is whether you want 4K support since I'm not sure you can get good 4K streaming over AirPlay.

A thought - if you have lots of leftover data on your cell plans, is it possible to cut the data buckets to save some money and use the savings to cut your Spectrum bill?
    This is exactly what i was thinking, $50 savings per month might justify buying a new ipad. Id really like the 12.9" second generation on one of those ebay % off promotions. When the new ipads launch in September pricing should come down nicely.

The difference between 3 GB and 7 GB on multiline account is $5 per month. Since i rarely use much data it rolls onto next month and i usually end up with 12-15 GBs leftover at renewal. For $5 extra a month its nice to have that buffer since work subsidizes my phone plan.

Good thought on the trial, i think when Apple launches there new product lineup in September i will see about getting an updated apple TV and making sure it is 0 data counted against Ipad. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Feedback Score
    My current ipad i use T mobile $10 for 5 GB which is a steal. For whatever reason Clash of Clans doesnt load on wifi so i just buy cellular data.

Can you tell me more about this plan? $10 for 5GB is a steal. Where do I sign up?? I signed up for their $10/2GB prepaid data plan and I thought that was a good deal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lonnold View Post
    Can you tell me more about this plan? $10 for 5GB is a steal. Where do I sign up?? I signed up for their $10/2GB prepaid data plan and I thought that was a good deal.
    When i open up my ipad and go to cellular its one of the options thats listed. I just reupped it last week so still should be available. Ive done it probably 6x in the past four years. I dont have my ipad on me to see what its called but the receipt says 5 GB mobile internet data pass for $10. Its good for 150 days i believe. I started using that when the 200 mg free data promotion ended when i upgraded ipads.