Thread: USCC Still using 3g Only sites

Feedback Score

Post USCC Still using 3g Only sites

I know there is not much USCC talk on the forums but I figured I would throw it out there. Here in Rutland VT USCC still has several 3g only sites. In all the cases they are the only carriers on these specific sites. Take a peak at Cellmapper to see the sites in Rutland.

From what I have seen the rest of the USCC sites in VT have been upgraded to LTE awhile ago.

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hungoverfurball View Post
    I know there is not much USCC talk on the forums but I figured I would throw it out there. Here in Rutland VT USCC still has several 3g only sites. In all the cases they are the only carriers on these specific sites. Take a peak at Cellmapper to see the sites in Rutland.

From what I have seen the rest of the USCC sites in VT have been upgraded to LTE awhile ago.
    I've noticed this too, seems like they just don't care about the Rutland market as much and it makes sense, Verizon and AT&T both dominate that market, T-Mobile is a no show and sprint also seems to be pretty good there from what I saw on the maps. If you want better speeds I do reccomend switching to another carrier, either of the big 2 is fine if you mainly stay in the more populated areas of Vermont, if you do go rural alot AT&T is the carrier you want based on my experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Sad to say, but there's not much of anything in the Rutland market, so it's probably not worth the investment.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score

Yeah. That's interesting. I've noticed if I go down to Mt. Hope, WV I seem to just roam on Sprint for LTE. I get decent USCC CDMA down there. It does seem to me like the CDMA is too good of signal to not get LTE down there. All of their other towers here seem to have LTE though to my knowledge. The LTE just drops out so much because their tower locations didn't have LTE in mind I don't think and were primarily designed for 800 MHz CDMA.

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

Baja California / Baja California Sur / Sinaloa / D.F.
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8 / Netgear AC815S
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score

Well, looks like USCC withdrew from Chittenden County.
    They ran the former Devon Mobile Communications network for a few decades on 3G, and recently noticed that the USCC network was turned off and replaced with roaming. It would have been nice to see LTE up there, but I guess USCC never really concentrated their effort in the that part of Vermont due to competition from the Big 4.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Well, looks like USCC withdrew from Chittenden County.
    They ran the former Devon Mobile Communications network for a few decades on 3G, and recently noticed that the USCC network was turned off and replaced with roaming. It would have been nice to see LTE up there, but I guess USCC never really concentrated their effort in the that part of Vermont due to competition from the Big 4.
    Yeah. That's interesting. I wonder if they plan to stay in my market as long as possible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If all you've got for backhaul is a T1 line, it doesn't make a lot of sense to upgrade a tower to LTE.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Here's a quick pic of one of the 3g sites. On side of a old silo just outside of Rutland.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk