Thread: Verizon Nokia Airscale Upgrades (Vermont)

Feedback Score

Post Verizon Nokia Airscale Upgrades (Vermont)

Verizon appears to be upgrading almost every site in VT to Nokia Airscale setups. Looking at the log books for several of the sites I visited I could see upgrades happening over the past few months.

This is a good sign as it allows for more versatility for verizon to deploy new tech including 5g in the future,

Has anyone in other states seen similar upgrades?

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hungoverfurball View Post
    Verizon appears to be upgrading almost every site in VT to Nokia Airscale setups. Looking at the log books for several of the sites I visited I could see upgrades happening over the past few months.

This is a good sign as it allows for more versatility for verizon to deploy new tech including 5g in the future,

Where the heck is Verizon even in my state other than the northern part lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post

Lol, yeah once you head south it does get pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Are they upgrading both the BBUs and the RRUs in VT or only the RRUs? Also is it only with 1 radio card in the BBU to start with since maxing out the number of radio cards in the BBU would be overkill for non 5G sites

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    I would imagine they are changing out their BBU’s to Nokia Airscale and leaving the existing RRU’s in place, since they will work just fine with the new Nokia BBU. This is exactly what AT&T did when they upgraded their entire ALU footprint to Nokia Airscale in 2017-2018.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Feedback Score
    Are they using ASIA + ABIA or newer modules on the BBU?
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post

That’s not even true dude. They just released a report for Vermont coverage and Verizon overall was the best. Not by much though

Feedback Score

Verizon Nokia Airscale Upgrades (Vermont)

Quote Originally Posted by hungoverfurball View Post

Also Nokia upgrades are 256 QAM enabled so you’ll see a speed increase. Verizon looks a bit weak especially in the southern part of the state , overall they seem to have the best coverage . AT&T lacks 700 MHz in many areas. Such a tough state to cover. I use both carriers so I’m sure that would give me a good experience overall

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Also Nokia upgrades are 256 QAM enabled so you’ll see a speed increase. Verizon looks a bit weak especially in the southern part of the state , overall they seem to have the best coverage . AT&T lacks 700 MHz in many areas. Such a tough state to cover. I use both carriers so I’m sure that would give me a good experience overall
    AT&T is weak in VT because they rely on their 850 MHz spectrum for LTE, which leaves barely any room for growth on the lower bands. Like you, I signed up for Verizon since AT&T is also weak at my office in Los Angeles and knowing that AT&T deosn't have any room for long range LTE service. I'm also looking into signing up with VTel Wireless since they have most of the 700 MHz Lower B & C in Vermont, and probably getting my mom off Comcast and on to VTel Wireless for home use.