Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NON-firstnet Sonim XP8 Use

Feedback Score

NON-firstnet Sonim XP8 Use

As we know, the local AT&T stores have no clue or are simply unwilling to work with anyone concerning the XP8.

Most of the time, the response I have been getting from them is that it is for FirstNet use only. ( I know that is BS.)

I have an XP7 that I have been abusing for three years. It is time to upgrade. Over three years it is well worn, and have had to replace the battery, but it still works fine.

I use the xp7 for personal use and carry an iCrap 8+ as a work phone. I hate that thing since I have to make sure that it is in velvet gloves to use it and it is too pretty for me.

Here are my questions.

1. Since AT&T is exclusive in the US, did they disable the second sim port? I need for one SIM to be AT&T the other will be for whatever country I am in at the moment and T-Mobile when in the states.

2. Can the PTT be reassigned without hacking the phone? I use Zello and IRN for ham radio stuff and will never use the ATT app.

Hopefully, someone else is in the same boat and can answer me. I really do not want to order the phone, wait a random period for it to ship, only to find that it has been locked down too far, and I have to return it.

thanks

Feedback Score
    see this thread here - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...nt-A-Sonim-XP8

the XP8 does have 2 simcard trays - https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tuto...odel=XP8XP8800 but unsure if the second simcard slot is disabled
    the phone might be locked to AT&T.

i believe the PTT can be reassigned - https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tuto...odel=XP8XP8800
    Last edited by october262; 08-20-2018 at 12:36 AM.

Feedback Score

NON-firstnet Sonim XP8 Use

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhick View Post
    As we know, the local AT&T stores have no clue or are simply unwilling to work with anyone concerning the XP8.

Most of the time, the response I have been getting from them is that it is for FirstNet use only. ( I know that is BS.)

I have an XP7 that I have been abusing for three years. It is time to upgrade. Over three years it is well worn, and have had to replace the battery, but it still works fine.

I use the xp7 for personal use and carry an iCrap 8+ as a work phone. I hate that thing since I have to make sure that it is in velvet gloves to use it and it is too pretty for me.

Here are my questions.

1. Since AT&T is exclusive in the US, did they disable the second sim port? I need for one SIM to be AT&T the other will be for whatever country I am in at the moment and T-Mobile when in the states.

2. Can the PTT be reassigned without hacking the phone? I use Zello and IRN for ham radio stuff and will never use the ATT app.

Hopefully, someone else is in the same boat and can answer me. I really do not want to order the phone, wait a random period for it to ship, only to find that it has been locked down too far, and I have to return it.

thanks
    There’s a Motorola badged XP8 that you can get if AT&T is giving you the run-around. I demoed both- they were only running Android 6.0 at that point - I checked.

It is my understanding that the PTT is configurable, since nobody really knows how it will be used on FirstNet.

I have no idea on 2nd sim tray, since it would be irrelevant to me.

Update: the Motorola item is a LEX F10, if that helps.

Feedback Score
    How do you get the Moto badged one? I contacted Sonim directly and they told me that I had to go through AT&T.

Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    I just checked the F10 is not an XP8. The specs are not even close. Its specs are closer to the XP7

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/co...ifications.pdf

Feedback Score
    I’m not interested in either. AFAIAC, both are overpriced crap. I wouldn’t buy either for myself or at work. Zero interest for me.

I saw the Sonim and the Motorola one in May and they were darn near identical. Don’t know what to tell you.

Feedback Score

NON-FirstNet Sonim XP8 Use

Here are my questions.

thanks

I started the other thread. My understanding is that if you order it, you can get it unlocked and use it on T-Mobile.

Sprint is, or at least will be, carrying it, too.

I contacted the two Canadian carriers, but they can't/won't sell to someone in the United States. Since phones aren't supposed to be carrier subsidy locked in Canada, you should be able to simply insert your SIM card and use it without having to get it unlocked, if you can get one.

SouthernLINC is, or at least will be, carrying it. I haven't contacted them yet. https://www.southernlinc.com/lte/

As inconvenient as it would be, it sounds like you would have to buy it from A Fee and Fee along with service from them with a minimum data plan. Then, pay it off in full and contact them to get it unlocked. Then cancel the plan and take it to T-Mobile.

I have some other emails from Sonim directly. Let me know if you want me to share them.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max (personal), iPhone XS Max (work)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (personal), AT&T/FirstNet (work)
    Feedback Score

Here are my questions.

thanks
    I have an XP8 on FirstNet (though it does look like you can get it on regular AT&T - https://i.imgur.com/8GkSiiw.png). I went ahead and popped a Verizon SIM in the second SIM slot, the phone does not appear to recognize the second SIM at all. Not sure about reassigning the PTT button, I can't find any option to do so.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tb_ View Post
    I have an XP8 on FirstNet (though it does look like you can get it on regular AT&T - https://i.imgur.com/8GkSiiw.png). I went ahead and popped a Verizon SIM in the second SIM slot, the phone does not appear to recognize the second SIM at all. Not sure about reassigning the PTT button, I can't find any option to do so.
    I was going to suggest that you try the Verizon SIM in the first SIM slot, but if the XP8 hasn't been unlocked, it probably won't recognize it there, either.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max (personal), iPhone XS Max (work)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (personal), AT&T/FirstNet (work)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I was going to suggest that you try the Verizon SIM in the first SIM slot, but if the XP8 hasn't been unlocked, it probably won't recognize it there, either.
    My XP8 is unlocked, I tried swapping SIMs around... the SIM in the second slot was not recognized regardless of which carrier the SIM was from.

Feedback Score
    My XP8 is unlocked, I tried swapping SIMs around... the SIM in the second slot was not recognized regardless of which carrier the SIM was from.
    Some phones you have to go to the phones
    Settings and slect the sim you want to use.

Feedback Score

Did you try the Verizon SIM card in the first slot, too? If so, what did it do? Did you try different APNs? If I knew that an unlocked Sonim XP8 would work with Verizon, I would order one right away.

Feedback Score
    I can confirm that you can set all 3 PTT buttons on the XP8 from AT&T to whatever app you want. We have a demo XP8 here that I am messing with. It works!!!

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    Does the XP8 support WiFi calling?

Feedback Score

NON-Firstnet Sonim XP8 Use

This is now available unlocked directly from Sonim.

https://store.sonimtech.com/products/sonim-xp8-blk-nam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast