Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NON-firstnet Sonim XP8 Use

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, Samsung SM-N960U
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No with a FirstNet SIM; Yes with a commercial AT&T SIM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, Samsung SM-N960U
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhick View Post
    As we know, the local AT&T stores have no clue or are simply unwilling to work with anyone concerning the XP8.

Most of the time, the response I have been getting from them is that it is for FirstNet use only. ( I know that is BS.)

I have an XP7 that I have been abusing for three years. It is time to upgrade. Over three years it is well worn, and have had to replace the battery, but it still works fine.

I use the xp7 for personal use and carry an iCrap 8+ as a work phone. I hate that thing since I have to make sure that it is in velvet gloves to use it and it is too pretty for me.

Here are my questions.

1. Since AT&T is exclusive in the US, did they disable the second sim port? I need for one SIM to be AT&T the other will be for whatever country I am in at the moment and T-Mobile when in the states.

2. Can the PTT be reassigned without hacking the phone? I use Zello and IRN for ham radio stuff and will never use the ATT app.

Hopefully, someone else is in the same boat and can answer me. I really do not want to order the phone, wait a random period for it to ship, only to find that it has been locked down too far, and I have to return it.

thanks
    RE: #1, if you get an AT&T branded XP-8, the second SIM is disabled. Per Sonim, this is a contractual requirement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabefree View Post
    RE: #1, if you get an AT&T branded XP-8, the second SIM is disabled. Per Sonim, this is a contractual requirement.
    I can verify that the second SIM slot in an AT&T branded Sonim XP 8 is disabled. I learned that the hard way having purchased one, only to have to return it the next day after the in-store techs couldn't get it to work. Apparently no one let them sales people know that the second SIM was disabled. I then got ahold of Sonim and they were kind enough to overnight one to me direct. I installed both SIMs and they fired up immediately. One of them is a Firstnet SIM and the second one is AT&T. The phone works with most GSM SIMs but won't work with CDMA such as Sprint. On a related note Firstnet is having issues with their SIMs, so for now, my Firstnet is on a provisioned AT&T SIM.

Sent from my XP8800 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

Non-Firstnet Sonim XP8 Use

I bought a used AT&T Sonim XP8. Has anybody here found a way to unlock the second SIM slot yet? OR, for that matter, getting it to work full with Verizon MVNOs?

If I recall correctly. a Verizon SIM can work for voice, or data, but not both at the same time

Feedback Score
    Yes. Return it and get an unlocked XP-8 from Sonim direct. That’s what I had to do. The second slot is locked by AT&T and nothing I did fixed it. Ultimately, I got an unbranded XP-8 direct from Sonim and that fixed the issue.

Feedback Score

Non-Firstnet Sonim XP8 Use

Verizon is now selling the Sonim XP8. I am trying to find out if the Verizon version locks out the second SIM card slot.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/sonim-xp8/

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    Verizon is now selling the Sonim XP8. I am trying to find out if the Verizon version locks out the second SIM card slot.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/sonim-xp8/
    I'll test it out... I know Verizon blocks the AT&T and unlocked ones by letting you only have call or data not both if my Verizon branded one has sim slot 2 unlocked for AT&T/T-Mobile we all should go for Verizon model as that would be the best choice

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    After a month I ended up returning the Sonim XP 8 and am now happily using two SIMs on an IPhone. Nothing but problems with the Sonim XP 8.

Feedback Score

NON-firstnet Sonim XP8 Use

Quote Originally Posted by Brill View Post
    After a month I ended up returning the Sonim XP 8 and am now happily using two SIMs on an IPhone. Nothing but problems with the Sonim XP 8.
    What sort of problems did you have with the Sonim XP8. I have one, but it is not my primary smartphone. I have it on an unlimited AT&T data SIM and it mainly gets used for stream music, not telephone calls and texting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2