Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51

Thread: Annoyance with sub average coverage-II

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    110
    Feedback Score
    0
    This is an excellent post. The hard data provides some actual solid numbers to look at what the various carriers have in terms of land area coverage. It is clear that Verizon eclipses AT&T out west, while both are pretty even in the east.

    My biggest question is whether the Verizon data includes LTEiRA carriers, who have built their network out to Verizon standards and specs using Verizon spectrum, but with their own towers and sites? If it doesn't include LTEiRA, Verizon's network is that much more impressive, as that could add another % or two to the 81% number.

    AT&T really suffers in this case from having a lot of roaming coverage, some of which is perfectly usable, and some of which is not.

    Unfortunately, some people here are looking for trouble by suggesting that a post like this will cause trouble, even though they are the ones who create the trouble that they are suggesting could happen. This could actually be a really good discussion if the T-Mobile trolls would stop making ridiculous, unfounded, and blatantly false accusations of paid "shills" for AT&T or Verizon.

    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    a) T-Mobile is an also ran / second rate / "second tier,"/ sub par carrier
    b) T-Mobile users on this board who disagree with the bad coverage label are somehow brainwashed and fall for the lies and propaganda
    c) T-Mobile users must without a doubt purchase a spare phone from Red Pocket or Page Plus should they dare leave any urban area
    a) T-Mobile is a tier below Verizon and AT&T, and a tier above Sprint.
    b) Gee, I wonder why people would think that? Maybe because of some of the ridiculous fanboyism and trolling that goes on here from T-Mobile trolls? If T-Mobile trolls would stop being trolls, and discuss T-Mobile's network and coverage in a more objective way then these problems wouldn't exist.
    c) Many AT&T and Verizon users have a phone on the other network to make up for each other's bad spots. T-Mobile has more spots with bad/no coverage, so it would make sense to have a backup phone.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,970
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LTEAdvanced View Post
    This is an excellent post. The hard data provides some actual solid numbers to look at what the various carriers have in terms of land area coverage. It is clear that Verizon eclipses AT&T out west, while both are pretty even in the east.

    My biggest question is whether the Verizon data includes LTEiRA carriers, who have built their network out to Verizon standards and specs using Verizon spectrum, but with their own towers and sites? If it doesn't include LTEiRA, Verizon's network is that much more impressive, as that could add another % or two to the 81% number.

    AT&T really suffers in this case from having a lot of roaming coverage, some of which is perfectly usable, and some of which is not.

    Unfortunately, some people here are looking for trouble by suggesting that a post like this will cause trouble, even though they are the ones who create the trouble that they are suggesting could happen. This could actually be a really good discussion if the T-Mobile trolls would stop making ridiculous, unfounded, and blatantly false accusations of paid "shills" for AT&T or Verizon.



    a) T-Mobile is a tier below Verizon and AT&T, and a tier above Sprint.
    b) Gee, I wonder why people would think that? Maybe because of some of the ridiculous fanboyism and trolling that goes on here from T-Mobile trolls? If T-Mobile trolls would stop being trolls, and discuss T-Mobile's network and coverage in a more objective way then these problems wouldn't exist.
    c) Many AT&T and Verizon users have a phone on the other network to make up for each other's bad spots. T-Mobile has more spots with bad/no coverage, so it would make sense to have a backup phone.
    You seem like one of the biggest shills on the boards so your point isn't too valid

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    7,068
    Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    You seem like one of the biggest shills on the boards so your point isn't too valid
    Exactly how does this reply address any issue being discussed. If you have or can report any semblance of factual info which might help us understand any networks coverage, then please discuss it. Criticism of someone who is at least making an attempt,that you disagree with, isn't helpful,imo.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hominid7 View Post
    Whistleout has some good data, and the coverage percentages are important, but like you say, there is more to the story. On T-Mobile's map, i've found that "fair" coverage does not translate into anything usable. There are a couple of spots i frequent that are in such an area and because of that i keep a pre-paid Tracfone (AT&T). Having said that, in areas where T-Mobile is good, generally they are very good.
    That is true. "Fair" really means "outside, standing on top of a tall building, you may get a usable signal if you're lucky and have a phone with an exceptionally good radio and antenna."

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14,806
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    But for right now, if you want good coverage, you need to choose your carrier carefully. In the previous thread, some people insisted that they don't care about "gaping holes in coverage"
    In your constant attacks on T-Mobile, you're the one claiming the importance of such gaping holes. But most T-Mobile customers continue to use their service, year after year, so obviously this coverage issue that you're complaining about, simply isn't that relavent to them.

    You wanted facts so here's one: T-Mobile led the led the industry for the 18th consecutive quarter in postpaid phone net additions.

    https://www.t-mobile.com/news/best-q2-ever

    They are gaining more customers than they are losing. So coverage isn't as important as you claim. Your propaganda is not having any effect in keeping T-mobile from growing and gaining more subscribers.

    While you tout AT&T's coverage in posts like these, you never explain why AT&T is having net losses, not gains in Consumer postpaid and Consumer reseller as their recent earnings report showed in 3, 6 & 12 month periods:

    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  47.7 KB

    https://investors.att.com/financial-...-earnings/2018

    By your logic, coverage is so important to the consumer, that AT&T's "superior" coverage should be gaining such customers not losing them. But the statistics do not show this.

    While you tout the greatness of AT&T, the reality is many customers don't agree. They don't share your view of the importance of the backwoods coverage that you hold so dear.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LTEAdvanced View Post
    This could actually be a really good discussion if the T-Mobile trolls would stop making ridiculous, unfounded, and blatantly false accusations of paid "shills" for AT&T or Verizon.
    Well I don't know about you, but personally I just deposited my monthly checks from AT&T and Verizon that they send me based on how many times I point out the coverage differences between different carriers.

    It's not a lot of money, but it's enough to buy a few cases of craft beer every month.

    Seriously people should resist emotional arguments based solely on ideology. Those are not helpful and they do not enhance the reputation of those that engage in that sort of behavior.

    Name:  attcheck.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  41.1 KBName:  verizoncheck.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  27.6 KB
    Last edited by smsgator; 08-29-2018 at 08:51 PM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    110
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Well I don't know about you, but personally I just deposited my monthly checks from AT&T and Verizon that they send me based on how many times I point out the coverage differences between different carriers.

    It's not a lot of money, but it's enough to buy a few cases of craft beer every month.

    Seriously people should resist emotional arguments based solely on ideology. Those are not helpful and they do not enhance the reputation of those that engage in that sort of behavior.

    Name:  attcheck.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  41.1 KBName:  verizoncheck.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  27.6 KB
    ROFL.

    You make a good point, however. Not only the reputation of the people themselves, but the reputation of this whole forum.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,125
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LTEAdvanced View Post
    This is an excellent post. The hard data provides some actual solid numbers to look at what the various carriers have in terms of land area coverage. It is clear that Verizon eclipses AT&T out west, while both are pretty even in the east.

    My biggest question is whether the Verizon data includes LTEiRA carriers, who have built their network out to Verizon standards and specs using Verizon spectrum, but with their own towers and sites? If it doesn't include LTEiRA, Verizon's network is that much more impressive, as that could add another % or two to the 81% number.

    AT&T really suffers in this case from having a lot of roaming coverage, some of which is perfectly usable, and some of which is not.

    Unfortunately, some people here are looking for trouble by suggesting that a post like this will cause trouble, even though they are the ones who create the trouble that they are suggesting could happen. This could actually be a really good discussion if the T-Mobile trolls would stop making ridiculous, unfounded, and blatantly false accusations of paid "shills" for AT&T or Verizon.



    a) T-Mobile is a tier below Verizon and AT&T, and a tier above Sprint.
    b) Gee, I wonder why people would think that? Maybe because of some of the ridiculous fanboyism and trolling that goes on here from T-Mobile trolls? If T-Mobile trolls would stop being trolls, and discuss T-Mobile's network and coverage in a more objective way then these problems wouldn't exist.
    c) Many AT&T and Verizon users have a phone on the other network to make up for each other's bad spots. T-Mobile has more spots with bad/no coverage, so it would make sense to have a backup phone.
    Let's be fair and objective and for the record make it known that LTEAdvanced does not use the mobile service he speaks of with such conviction when referring to T-Mobile terrible coverage and its 3rd fiddle service "nationwide." Tell me if I'm way off base here.

    The OP (smsgator) has at one point said he used T-Mobile, then on another thread he claimed he "used to use," T-Mobile and on yet another thread claimed he has some old PAYG service locked away somewhere not in use. That's okay with me. Every day is a new day to change carriers so it's entirely possible any three of the above scenarios are true and who am I to say otherwise, correct?

    The quote you replied to contained comments that the OP has made reference to when discussing those of us who post here. We've been told we pay for a 'second tier," service. We've been told that by posting Band 71 coverage updates for supposed coverage that is coming is somehow spreading propaganda. We're also told on a daily basis that we need to pay a Verizon MVNO for supposed coverage in all the areas that may or may not matter to us.

    I've been called things worse than a troll before so that doesn't bother me. But I would caution that those comments you quoted me on were in fact what we've been accused of by the OP and if speaking of it makes me a troll then the way we define that word are worlds apart. I would wager that most posters on this forum do not consider me a troll by any stretch or means.

    If you have no idea what I'm talking about then press pause before labeling an entire group of HoFo posters as such.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,970
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Let's be fair and objective and for the record make it known that LTEAdvanced does not use the mobile service he speaks of with such conviction when referring to T-Mobile terrible coverage and its 3rd fiddle service "nationwide." Tell me if I'm way off base here.

    The OP (smsgator) has at one point said he used T-Mobile, then on another thread he claimed he "used to use," T-Mobile and on yet another thread claimed he has some old PAYG service locked away somewhere not in use. That's okay with me. Every day is a new day to change carriers so it's entirely possible any three of the above scenarios are true and who am I to say otherwise, correct?

    The quote you replied to contained comments that the OP has made reference to when discussing those of us who post here. We've been told we pay for a 'second tier," service. We've been told that by posting Band 71 coverage updates for supposed coverage that is coming is somehow spreading propaganda. We're also told on a daily basis that we need to pay a Verizon MVNO for supposed coverage in all the areas that may or may not matter to us.

    I've been called things worse than a troll before so that doesn't bother me. But I would caution that those comments you quoted me on were in fact what we've been accused of by the OP and if speaking of it makes me a troll then the way we define that word are worlds apart.

    If you have no idea what I'm talking about then press pause before labeling an entire group of HoFo posters as such.
    It's obvious LTE, gator,and plane are just here to bash TMobile and start stuff. I would just ignore them and maybe they will go away. They probably haven't had TMobile but go around and bash it.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,613
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Let's be fair and objective and for the record make it known that LTEAdvanced does not use the mobile service he speaks of with such conviction when referring to T-Mobile terrible coverage and its 3rd fiddle service "nationwide." Tell me if I'm way off base here.

    The OP (smsgator) has at one point said he used T-Mobile, then on another thread he claimed he "used to use," T-Mobile and on yet another thread claimed he has some old PAYG service locked away somewhere not in use. That's okay with me. Every day is a new day to change carriers so it's entirely possible any three of the above scenarios are true and who am I to say otherwise, correct?

    The quote you replied to contained comments that the OP has made reference to when discussing those of us who post here. We've been told we pay for a 'second tier," service. We've been told that by posting Band 71 coverage updates for supposed coverage that is coming is somehow spreading propaganda. We're also told on a daily basis that we need to pay a Verizon MVNO for supposed coverage in all the areas that may or may not matter to us.

    I've been called things worse than a troll before so that doesn't bother me. But I would caution that those comments you quoted me on were in fact what we've been accused of by the OP and if speaking of it makes me a troll then the way we define that word are worlds apart. I would wager that most posters on this forum do not consider me a troll by any stretch or means.

    If you have no idea what I'm talking about then press pause before labeling an entire group of HoFo posters as such.
    I need to thank folks like smsgator, LTEAdvanced, et al, because after 17 years of using T-Mobile, I apparently didn't know what a substandard service I've been using for nearly two decades. That damn Jamie Lee Curtis and her Voicestream ads really must have suckered me in back at the turn of the century!

    Seriously, though, I'm not sure what the point of all the Verizon and AT&T drum beating is. I *know* T-Mo's coverage isn't at VZW and AT&T levels, but I also know it isn't as bad as some posters here would have me believe, because if it were, I might have noticed at some point in the last sixth of a century.

    There is a place in the market for a lower tier of coverage at a lower cost and/or a higher level of voice/data quality. (I'm not suggesting T-Mo has a higher level of voice/data quality, just that there's a place in the market for such differentiation.) In fact, if any one here goes far back enough, that was Sprint's whole marketing gimmick when they first launched- they were "PCS", not "cellular" and offered a tiny fraction of the coverage of (at the time) analog cellular carriers, but offered higher quality digital service.

    So, for the umpteenth time, most of us here (at least those of us not wearing magenta-tinted glasses) *know* what we signed up for, *know* what we're getting, and *know* what we're paying for it, and don't need a succession of trolling posts disguised as "helpful", "informative" posts reminding us where T-Mo has weak coverage, or when Page Plus is having a sale on SIMs or whatever.

    Or maybe all of us T-Mobile users should all run to the Verizon and AT&T forums and constantly post "helpful" threads about how much less we're paying for cell service, how comparatively little data their "unlimited" plans offer, how convenient it is to be able to use just about any unlocked device, or how much "taxes and fees included" saves per month. Because prospective customers might need to know all that before deciding on a cell service...





    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    The OP (smsgator) has at one point said he used T-Mobile, then on another thread he claimed he "used to use,"
    I have used T-Mobile postpaid. I still have a prepaid T-Mobile account. Hopefully this forum will not become a venue where people come to reassure each other how great a company is, and accuse anyone that points out legitimate issues of being some kind of paid shill, or employee of some other company. As soon as the dialogue deteriorates to that level it's pretty clear who has lost any debate.

    Equally ridiculous are those that insist that since T-Mobile is adding new customers that the product must be amazingly good, while they ignore the very high churn rate. In fact, all four national carriers added customers in the most recent quarter. But more to the point, the relative numbers of net additions are not reflective of the quality of service. Verizon has steadfastly refused to get into price wars, willingly ceding price-sensitive customers to the competition. Verizon subscribes to the oil company definition of supply and demand, "We have all the supply so we can demand whatever the %^&# we want!

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I need to thank folks like smsgator, LTEAdvanced, et al, because after 17 years of using T-Mobile, I apparently didn't know what a substandard service I've been using for nearly two decades.
    You're welcome.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Or maybe all of us T-Mobile users should all run to the Verizon and AT&T forums and constantly post "helpful" threads about how much less we're paying for cell service, how comparatively little data their "unlimited" plans offer, how convenient it is to be able to use just about any unlocked device, or how much "taxes and fees included" saves per month. Because prospective customers might need to know all that before deciding on a cell service...
    You're welcome to do that of course.

    But here's the difference. Comparing prices, quantities of unthrottled data, phone choices, cost of foreign roaming, free Netflix, etc. is something it's easy to do well in advance of selecting a carrier.

    What's more difficult is to determine the quality of service of the carrier. The latter requires research because the marketing of the carriers is so misleading as to coverage.

    It's also subjective, since some people don't ever venture far from their home, or far from an urban area, and don't care about coverage on a road trip that goes through rural areas, while others do travel, at least occasionally.

    To some "gaping holes in coverage" are of no concern, though I have never personally met anyone like that. I know several people with T-Mobile service, and the reason they chose T-Mobile is solely because of the international roaming. They complain about T-Mobile coverage in the U.S., but they put up with it because they want that low-cost international service without the hassle of foreign SIM cards.
    Last edited by smsgator; 08-30-2018 at 04:43 PM.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    407
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    You're welcome to do that of course.

    But here's the difference. Comparing prices, quantities of unthrottled data, phone choices, cost of foreign roaming, free Netflix, etc. is something it's easy to do well in advance of selecting a carrier.

    What's more difficult is to determine the quality of service of the carrier. The latter requires research because the marketing of the carriers is so misleading as to coverage.

    It's also subjective, since some people don't ever venture more far from their home, or far from an urban area, and don't care about coverage on a road trip that goes through rural areas, while others do travel, at least occasionally.

    To some "gaping holes in coverage" are of no concern, though I have never personally met anyone like that. I know several people with T-Mobile service, and the reason they chose T-Mobile is solely because of the international roaming. They complain about T-Mobile coverage in the U.S., but they put up with it because they want that low-cost international service without the hassle of foreign SIM cards.
    It's almost worth getting banned to tell people like you how tired we are of the TMobile attacks, but I'll be nice about it since I've grown up quite a bit.

    You seem to really have an agenda to prove to people how crappy TMobile is and it's getting really old.

    Nobody wants to hear it when it comes in the form of trying to convince people as you like to do. Relaying information and experience is fine but a few of you take it too far.
    On top of that it makes being on the boards a poor experience for others, especially if they are looking for unbiased information

    You, LTE, and Plane need to grow up instead of making these boards dreadful to come to even if it's just to read. Forget about posting at that point, it's too draining

    Everyone has their moments where they act like 10 year olds, we all do but it's time to grow up and show more respect to people that may enjoy TMobile or any other carrier

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,970
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    I have used T-Mobile postpaid. I still have a prepaid T-Mobile account. Hopefully this forum will not become a venue where people come to reassure each other how great a company is, and accuse anyone that points out legitimate issues of being some kind of paid shill, or employee of some other company. As soon as the dialogue deteriorates to that level it's pretty clear who has lost any debate.

    Equally ridiculous are those that insist that since T-Mobile is adding new customers that the product must be amazingly good, while they ignore the very high churn rate. In fact, all four national carriers added customers in the most recent quarter. But more to the point, the relative numbers of net additions are not reflective of the quality of service. Verizon has steadfastly refused to get into price wars, willingly ceding price-sensitive customers to the competition. Verizon subscribes to the oil company definition of supply and demand, "We have all the supply so we can demand whatever the %^&# we want!
    You sure do post a lot of garbage on the board. Not sure what agenda you have against tmobile

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2003, 11:39 PM
  2. For Those Annoyed with the A540's Current Firmware
    By Bonka in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2002, 09:16 PM
  3. what's up with the analog coverage in the metrorail?
    By j'vai in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-03-2002, 02:25 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-23-2002, 09:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks