Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: LTE (and 5G) knowledge sharing

Feedback Score
    Correct on both points. Bell and Shaw swapped A block with G block, and the subordinate licenses were approved as well. With the exception of 3-45, 3-46, 3-48 tiers, Telus can deploy 40 MHz of 7C in Alberta.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ravercwb View Post
    Funny that I only got 149 Mbps with 75 MHz of bandwidth. There must have a network bottleneck in that tower.
    Backhaul won't be a limitation at such low speeds. I would focus on improving your SINR first.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Backhaul won't be a limitation at such low speeds. I would focus on improving your SINR first.
    Ok. I wanna see it break 400 Mbps :-)

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Just did one speed test with same combo in downtown. Got 348 and 58. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/4290417582

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I managed to get 566 Mbps indoors with 75MHz on a OP6. I posted it in the Telus speedtest section some time ago.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

LTE (and 5G) knowledge sharing

I was driving along Airport Rd (in the GTA) earlier this evening and noticed a large number of small grey boxes mounted on light poles. There was only what appeared to be a single wire connected to each of them, and there weren’t any base stations in site. Each unit had 4 external antennas...2 pointing directly downwards and 2 pointing directly upwards. We were driving southbound when I noticed them. There were a lot...mounted on almost every 3rd pole, from Bovaird southbound to past Dixie. Does anyone know if these are new Bell small cells? Coverage/speed on my Telus phone while driving along Airport Rd was exactly the same as it was prior to noticing these units.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Sounds like they're small cells. If you have pictures, I can confirm.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I wasn’t able to take any pics. I’ll try to do that in the next couple of days and post back here soon.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Any idea why the ertyu cell tower map site shows Bell sites with small channel widths? For example, Bell sites are shown with multiple LTE B5 channels as 2.5MHz wide instead of 5MHz. B2 channels are shown as multiple 5MHz wide instead of 20MHz, and B4 shown as multiple 10MHz and multiple 5MHz instead of 15MHz. By comparison, Rogers sites are shown with their full widths - i.e. B2 as 15MHz, B7 as 20MHz, etc.

Feedback Score
    No idea, I find that annoying too. It wasn't like this in the past for Bell's channel bandwidths. My guess is Bell modified the format of the data they send to ISED.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    This could have the potential of disrupting Bellus’ 5G plans if the Canadian gov is influenced by the Trump admin, which would force Bellus to switch to Ericsson or Nokia equipment...

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/u...ban-huawei-5g/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Typical politics. If anything, Cisco should be banned from Canada, as they have had 5 hidden backdoors discovered this year alone, with very likely link to NSA. Huawei has had 0. Huawei has a large R&D precense in Canada as well, so I doubt those Canadian employees are putting in secret backdoors.

Either way, Huawei is already used for 5G by Telus, along with 4g and 3g. I believe Bell is heading more towards Nokia for 5g, but not too sure.

Unlike the US, Canada does not use LTE networks for public safety, so no concern there.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. Thanks zivan. Curious though...if Bell and Telus use different vendors, would there be any challenges in continuing their MOCN arrangement?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    There are providers worldwide that use multi vendor MOCN in a similar setup Bell/Telus do. It definitely wont be as easy as going with one vendor, but its not impossible.

I believe certain parts of Bell/Telus are already on Nokia (Quebec city or somewhere?).

Feedback Score
    Bell uses Nokia in eastern Ontario and Quebec. BellMTS uses Ericsson in Manitoba. The rest of the Bell/Telus/Sasktel RAN is Huawei. Basic inter-operability is fine between vendors, as the interfaces are standardized. Regular handovers will work fine. Some advanced features between eNodeBs will only work if both eNBs are from the same vendor.

My personal opinion is that Huawei will not be banned in Canada.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast