Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: LTE (and 5G) knowledge sharing

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, chatr (Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score

LTE (and 5G) knowledge sharing

Why is TELUS so upset with upcoming 5G technology? What is this Edge Computing they talk of? TELUS wants to move servers from the data centres of other companies into their own offices across Canada? This would give us consumers faster and more reliable data access while TELUS takes “a cut” of the action?

5G Technology Has ‘Let Us Down,’ Says Telus Chief Technology Officer:

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/telus-5g/
    TELUS: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 15+10 GB Data
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 8+9 GB Data
    chatr: Unlimited In-zone Talk, Text and Data (20 GB at 3G speed)

Feedback Score
    Funny to hear Telus CTO saying that with 5G "we ... don’t make more money".

MEC can allow some latency-sensitive and bandwidth-intensive content to be deployed closer to end users. Imagine for example, the Game of Thrones latest episode being loaded at edge nodes upon release. If lots of users plan on streaming this episode on their mobile device, MEC would save tremendous backhaul and IP transport resources for the operators. Telus could even partner with HBO to take a cut of the action, as you said.

This is just one example. I'm sure creative people will come up with more useful scenarios in the coming years. For now, don't expect MEC to be ready for prime time. It is still years away to be useful.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    Seems to me this is default Huawei reselection settings, as it used to do the exact same thing with Rogers when they had Huawei RAN here. Basically, signal quality on B7 would be so low that you would miss calls/have unusuable data, and eventually the phone would figure this out and drop to 3G.

Interestingly enough, with the Rogers Ericsson swap, it now is very hard to get onto B7 and it will very easily drop down to low band even with decent B7 signal.

Hopefully Telus can tweak this to find a happy medium.
    Interesting fact.

Today I disabled band 2, 4, 7 and my phone connected to band 66 15 MHz on Virgin. I didn't know Telus was also broadcasting band 4 as band 66. Cool to see.

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Is there a site there, or is that your location? It looks like you're right between 3 different sites, so that would explain the poor SINR. As for RSRP, adding the second B7 would have reduced the available power for the first B7 channel, so that might be the reason. This is because a single RRU is usually used for both B7 channels. The first B7 might've been at full RRU power, and adding the second B7 required reducing the power to make room. Do you know how much your RSRP has changed for B7 specifically (before vs after)?

You could go to your phone's menu, since you have a Samsung, and disable B7 LTE completely. Dial (*#2263#). Make sure to apply the changes. Any time you want to do a speed test, go and enable it again. That should help, but unfortunately you're in a really bad location right now
    I only left active band 5, 12, 13, 17. My battery live has improved a lot. I can live with slow internet but with much better signal and battery life.

Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    5G release date on Bell?

Feedback Score
    Your guess is as good as anyone's!

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Funny to hear Telus CTO saying that with 5G "we ... don’t make more money".

MEC can allow some latency-sensitive and bandwidth-intensive content to be deployed closer to end users. Imagine for example, the Game of Thrones latest episode being loaded at edge nodes upon release. If lots of users plan on streaming this episode on their mobile device, MEC would save tremendous backhaul and IP transport resources for the operators. Telus could even partner with HBO to take a cut of the action, as you said.

This is just one example. I'm sure creative people will come up with more useful scenarios in the coming years. For now, don't expect MEC to be ready for prime time. It is still years away to be useful.
    If these carriers want to 'make more money', then they need to effectively replace Cable/xDSL services (including 'TV') with something over wireless. Similarly, in more urban areas, and in the not too distant future, every type of IoT, smart grid, driverless vehicle, etc. will need something better than what exists today. Canada may have high speed, but its data is crazy expensive. I pay $30USD for 'unlimited' which works out to 50GB of full speed LTE, and 'deprioritized' beyond that. Similarly, Netflix is included, as is unlimited voice/sms, including Canada.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    If these carriers want to 'make more money', then they need to effectively replace Cable/xDSL services (including 'TV') with something over wireless. Similarly, in more urban areas, and in the not too distant future, every type of IoT, smart grid, driverless vehicle, etc. will need something better than what exists today. Canada may have high speed, but its data is crazy expensive. I pay $30USD for 'unlimited' which works out to 50GB of full speed LTE, and 'deprioritized' beyond that. Similarly, Netflix is included, as is unlimited voice/sms, including Canada.
    OH Canaduh.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8