Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AT&T Band 30 shrinking from 10mHz to 5mHz Channel

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    I still don't understand why that's even allowed and cellular towers can only be like 150 watts or something like that. So much for people claiming cell towers give cancer. Lmfao
    Back in the day when we had RF61, they had a 3 million watt transmitter. Now, with lower frequencies for TV, most are in the thousands or tens of thousands of watts.

Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Kinda OT, but the CTA has some really cool videos of the different CTA and Metra Lines from the drivers view, check it out sometime! I watched the Purple Line last night. https://youtu.be/tag-0WOzn7o
    I didn't really come to HoFo for my fix of train videos, but that is pretty darn cool!

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Back in the day when we had RF61, they had a 3 million watt transmitter. Now, with lower frequencies for TV, most are in the thousands or tens of thousands of watts.
    Yep, we had a few 4 to 5 million watt UHF stations back in the analog days. Now they are limited to a mere 1 million watts.

I find it so insane that Nimbys worry about emissions from cell towers with a few hundred watts at best.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Yep, we had a few 4 to 5 million watt UHF stations back in the analog days. Now they are limited to a mere 1 million watts.

I find it so insane that Nimbys worry about emissions from cell towers with a few hundred watts at best.
    Wow, I can picture the wheel inside the power meter spinning like its about to take flight.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Exactly. And the ones doing a few hundred watts are on large steel towers, water tanks, or silos, and aren't near anything else. Once in dense urban areas on inhabited buildings are doing a tiny fraction of that power. Verizon must be down to a few dozen watts at most on a lot of the macros in NYC due to the sheer site density down there.

Feedback Score
    ...I find it so insane that Nimbys worry about emissions from cell towers with a few hundred watts at best.
    Yeah, but I would call it ignorant rather than insane.

Our phones tell us in settings what signal power level they are receiving from the cell. A good -80 dBm signal is 0.0000000001 Watts at the phone. Meanwhile, the phone transmits something like half a watt right in our ear hole and the tinfoil hat brigade never thinks about that.

Feedback Score
    To be honest, they are more worried about the radiation, than the wattage.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenhal View Post
    To be honest, they are more worried about the radiation, than the wattage....
    Well then, they are being doubly ignorant.

Wattage is an expression of the intensity of the radiation. There is no separate radiation component of a cellphone radio frequency signal. The radio waves are the radiation.

Both cellphone frequencies and X-rays are forms of electromagnetic radiation. The difference is the frequency and the physical effects they can cause. X-rays are much, much, much higher in frequency and can strip electrons from atoms - ionizing radiation. Cellphone frequencies are not ionizing radiation no matter what the power level.

The tinfoil-hatters will never understand this.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yeah, but I would call it ignorant rather than insane.

Our phones tell us in settings what signal power level they are receiving from the cell. A good -80 dBm signal is 0.0000000001 Watts at the phone. Meanwhile, the phone transmits something like half a watt right in our ear hole and the tinfoil hat brigade never thinks about that.
    Quite true. Having a cell tower close by reduces the RF radiation from your own phone.

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Well then, they are being doubly ignorant.

Wattage is an expression of the intensity of the radiation. There is no separate radiation component of a cellphone radio frequency signal. The radio waves are the radiation.

Both cellphone frequencies and X-rays are forms of electromagnetic radiation. The difference is the frequency and the physical effects they can cause. X-rays are much, much, much higher in frequency and can strip electrons from atoms - ionizing radiation. Cellphone frequencies are not ionizing radiation no matter what the power level.

The tinfoil-hatters will never understand this.
    Thank you!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

I didn't really come to HoFo for my fix of train videos, but that is pretty darn cool!
    Yep...I watched several of these CTA train videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quite true. Having a cell tower close by reduces the RF radiation from your own phone.
    Sadly, those people are the same who won't vaccinate their kids, or think Fluoridation is a Communist conspiracy, or think that natural automatically means better, they live in their own, little world, one where their ears are plugged permanently.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Sadly, those people are the same who won't vaccinate their kids, or think Fluoridation is a Communist conspiracy, or think that natural automatically means better, they live in their own, little world, one where their ears are plugged permanently.
    True. It's pretty scary some of the stuff that people out there actually believe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2