Thread: How To Re-Activate My VZW Cell Phone ?

Feedback Score

How To Re-Activate My VZW Cell Phone ?

I have a VZW pre-paid Samsung Gusto2 flip phone that had started to continually re-boot itself, even during calls. I read through the threads on VZW website that a 'Factory Reset' could correct this. I tried this and it seems to have stopped constantly rebooting (for now).
    However when I turn it on it wants me to 'Activate' the phone. I tried, but either it rings endlessly or there are 'technical problems' and to call back later.

Is there a way to re-activate my cell back to my original number online. I tried to re-activate on the VZW website with my original account but it says it was already taken (yes, by me). It also says under my device 'this device is currently suspended'.

Thanks...

Device(s)
    Too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    If your phone has never actually been disconnected from Verizon services, you might possibly be able to reactivate it using *228 and SEND. However, that is likely not possible as Verizon will no longer activate any phone that does not have VOLTE support, which the Gusto does not have. This even includes switching between two identical phones. So, *228 might be worth a try, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The factory reset may have made reconnecting your phone impossible. If that's the case, you can replace the phone with one that is VOLTE capable, like the ZTE 233, or use your current phone by switching to a MVNO where your Gusto can still be activated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ617 View Post
    If your phone has never actually been disconnected from Verizon services, you might possibly be able to reactivate it using *228 and SEND.
    Thank you, that did it !!

Though unfortunately it seems the constant rebooting is back. If I have to replace this one I'll need a phone with VOLTE support (?) Is the ZTE 233 the only flip available for this purpose ? It seems hard to come by and has rather poor ratings (2/5 stars).

I have an older plan with only talk service (no data). What phones would be appropriate for this ? I only use my phone for emergencies, so this very basic plan worked fine. I pay once a year to keep it active. And I was told if I 'upgraded' my phone I would not be able to keep my current plan, and would be moved to a much more costly monthly plan.

Thank you again...

Feedback Score
    I just came across this article. It seems I and others will be forced off our basic plans at the end of 2019. Is this correct ?

As for now, I see I can still activate a Samsung Gusto 3 3G flip phone until Dec 2018 if I need to replace my current Gusto 2. They are available on Amazon and seem to have decent ratings.

https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/201...ations-of.html

Today we got the answer. The National Wireless Independent Dealer Association (NWIDA) reported on its blog that Verizon is mostly sticking with the June 30, 2018 cutoff for new 3G and non-VoLTE phone activations on its own branded services.

There are a few exceptions for specific non LTE and non VoLTE devices. The exceptions are:

The LG Gizmo Pal 2 (LG-VC110 and LG-VC110B) and LG Gizmo Gadget (LG-VC200 and LG-VC200B) child tracking wearables can be activated on Verizon postpaid until September 30, 2018.
    The LG Zone 3 (LG-VS425PP and LG-VS425LPP), LG Zone 2 (LG-VS415PP), Moto G Play (MOTXT1609PP) and Samsung Galaxy J1 (SM-J100VLPP) LTE Android phones and the Samsung Gusto 3 (SMB311VZPP) 3G flip phone can be on activated on Verizon Prepaid until December 31, 2018.
    As reported earlier, Vertizon MVNOs will still be able to activate any Verizon compatible device, including 3G and non-VoLTE phones, until December 31, 2018.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardWird View Post
    I just came across this article. It seems I and others will be forced off our basic plans at the end of 2019. Is this correct ?

As for now, I see I can still activate a Samsung Gusto 3 3G flip phone until Dec 2018 if I need to replace my current Gusto 2. They are available on Amazon and seem to have decent ratings. .
    Verizon is shutting down CDMA a the end of 2019. So any phone that does not have LTE and also have VoLTE will no longer be able to make calls. Even though the shutdown isn't for another 15 months Verizon wants to start to move people off these types of devices now instead of waiting until the last minute. The Dec 2018 deadline was for a few MVNOs. If you're trying to do it on Verizon the deadline was June 30th. So you'll need one of the newer basic phones Verizon sells on it's website

Feedback Score
    Doesn't page plus still activiate older Verizon CDMA phones ??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Doesn't page plus still activiate older Verizon CDMA phones ??
    No sure but Verizon did extended the deadline for some MVNOs because they whined really hard. Kind of pointless to get a CDMA only phone when it's going to be a brick in 479 days.

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    I have an older plan with only talk service (no data). I only use my phone for emergencies, so this very basic plan worked fine. I pay once a year to keep it active. And I was told if I 'upgraded' my phone I would not be able to keep my current plan, and would be moved to a much more costly monthly plan.
    How much do you pay each year for this plan? The PagePlus Basic Plan costs $10 per 120 days, so a year would cost about $30. If you put a VoLTE phone (smartphone or flip) on it, you get 5 cents/min (200 minutes for the $10). That is great for an emergency phone.

P.S. - You could buy a cheap TracFone VoLTE flip-phone, and use it on PagePlus.

Feedback Score
    Afaik this is a full list of VoLTE basic phones that work on verizon

keyocera cadence lte
    lg exalt lte
    DuraXV LTE
    Sonim XP5

ZTE cymbal prepaid.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all, that was very helpful.

Feedback Score
    what trackfone volte flip phones work on verizon postpaid?
    is there a requirement they be on prepaid for XXX time before using them on verizon post paid?

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by svec7186 View Post
    what trackfone volte flip phones work on verizon postpaid?
    is there a requirement they be on prepaid for XXX time before using them on verizon post paid?
    I was referring to using the TracFone VoLTE flip on PagePlus (it is allowed between those 2). Hard Wird said the line did not need data, and was only for emergencies. There is no need to pay Postpaid prices for that.

That said, there is a ZTE LTE flip-phone as low as $10 (refurb). However, I have noticed that it is getting bad reviews, so maybe not an option after all. https://www.cnet.com/products/zte-z233vl/specs/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    How much do you pay each year for this plan? The PagePlus Basic Plan costs $10 per 120 days, so a year would cost about $30. If you put a VoLTE phone (smartphone or flip) on it, you get 5 cents/min (200 minutes for the $10). That is great for an emergency phone.

P.S. - You could buy a cheap TracFone VoLTE flip-phone, and use it on PagePlus.

Sorry for the delay, I wanted to do some research before responding. I bought a cheap Verizon flip (Gusto 2) years ago at Walmart for I believe $10, and the plan is $100 a year to keep it active. I thought that was good but your plan at PagePlus for $30 is far better !!

I looked over the Volte phones available along with the phones Sims had posted above, some were unavailable and most if not all had bad ratings. Not sure if the bad ratings are because most today expect more/better smart tech and just see flips as inferior or the phones themselves were not very good. That and as I said they're hard to come by and or are refurbs.

What does one do today if all they need is an 'emergency phone' ? Is there no such thing anymore as an inexpensive phone/plan for casual use ?

Thanks....

Feedback Score
    ....What does one do today if all they need is an 'emergency phone' ? Is there no such thing anymore as an inexpensive phone/plan for casual use ?

Thanks....
    My plans are in my signature. I got 2 old flip/clamshells from fleabay. Not the VZW backbone though. But with TM & Sprint I have 3 out of 4.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 09.25.18