Thread: prepaid phone on postpaid?

Feedback Score

prepaid phone on postpaid?

Is there any way to use a new prepaid phone on Verizon postpaid?

My other option is switching back to Verizon prepaid, since the coverage area is similar. But I'm looking for ideas on how to avoid switching to prepaid. Any advice?

Feedback Score
    yeah once you fulfill the terms of the prepaid device. it should be on the box he phone came in.

Feedback Score
    Like I said, I'm looking for ideas on how to avoid switching to prepaid, but thanks for the input.

Maybe I'll switch to Cricket for awhile, since their prepaid phones are so cheap.

But I'm still open to ideas on how to stick with Verizon postpaid.

Feedback Score
    You could buy a cheap unlocked phone
    To use on Verizon. Phones from US Cellular are supposed to be unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Or iPhones from Xfinity Mobile if you have their services. Swappa is a good place to find decent phones.

Feedback Score
    You can't go right from VZW Prepaid to postpaid -- You'll need to fulfill their terms for unlocking first. Getting an eBay unlock won't work. I speak from experience trying to put an eBay-unlocked Verizon Prepaid Moto E4 on Verizon Postpaid. It worked initially, but after a day or so, the phone was disabled. When the Verizon account holder contacted them, Verizon CS advised that the phone wouldn't work on Postpaid until the terms of prepaid had been fulfilled.

Device(s)
    Iphone 7 128GB, Ipad Pro 9.7 128GB, Apple Watch 3-Cell & WiFi, Ipad Mini 2, 2009 MacBook Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You could just buy a decent unlocked phone and use that. There are a number of Moto phones under $200 that you can get from Amazon, unlocked & ready to go. Has to be cheaper than fulfilling prepaid plan terms.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrfyter View Post
    You could just buy a decent unlocked phone and use that. There are a number of Moto phones under $200 that you can get from Amazon, unlocked & ready to go. Has to be cheaper than fulfilling prepaid plan terms.
    It depends on the subsidy. A year ago I bought a Moto E4 that required $70 worth of service to be added. After I used it up I moved to ATT to get an iPhone.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Iphone 7 128GB, Ipad Pro 9.7 128GB, Apple Watch 3-Cell & WiFi, Ipad Mini 2, 2009 MacBook Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    It depends on the subsidy. A year ago I bought a Moto E4 that required $70 worth of service to be added. After I used it up I moved to ATT to get an iPhone.
    If you buy an unlocked phone there is no subsidy.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrfyter View Post
    If you buy an unlocked phone there is no subsidy.
    No. But buying unlocked and unsubsidized MAY be more expensive than buying with the subsidy. Especially if relatively low requirements. Verizon Prepaid is one of the easier to unlock, as long as you are using their service. 2 months service got it unlocked. ATT is 6 months. Some MVNOs are 12 months.

If the unlocked phone is compatible with the service you want, it is definitely easier. No unlocking requirements.