Thread: $50 for 8GB + North America Calling

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Public, Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_wisdom View Post
    What are the limitations?
    I mean 3G is 850/1900. Do I lose access to LTE frequency or it will affect data only, no coverage?
    Still a bit confused how it works
    It becomes a latency issue but still no biggy since way better than Freedom
    I guess in the long future they will eventually shut down older network but that is so far away to be laughable
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $9 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $20 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Device(s)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro, iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    ROBBERS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    It becomes a latency issue but still no biggy since way better than Freedom
    I guess in the long future they will eventually shut down older network but that is so far away to be laughable
    Can you clarify? I still don't get about the coverage : if I switched to 3G, do I losose access to LTE bands network coverage? Or it just affects data and that's all?
    Thanks

Sent from my Honor 7X using HoFo mobile app
    Tired of huge cell phone bills?I can help!Please,check and like my FB page below
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

Feedback Score
    Can you clarify? I still don't get about the coverage : if I switched to 3G, do I losose access to LTE bands network coverage? Or it just affects data and that's all?
    Thanks

It's LTE coverage. It's just 3g speed. I believe limited to 3 Mbps

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ROBBERS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ravercwb View Post
    It's LTE coverage. It's just 3g speed. I believe limited to 3 Mbps

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app
    You confusing everyone even more here My phone is in 3G mode right now (no LTE, just WCDMA) and I'm wondering if I'm getting LTE coverage , when my phone is locked to 3G.
    Attached are the screenshots of 3G (my phone shows as 4G)and LTE(my phone shows as 4G LTE) network search with LTE off and then LTE ON

Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ROBBERS
    Feedback Score
    You confusing everyone even more here My phone is in 3G mode right now (no LTE, just WCDMA) and I'm wondering if I'm getting LTE coverage , when my phone is locked to 3G.
    Attached are the screenshots of 3G (my phone shows as 4G)and LTE(my phone shows as 4G LTE) network search with LTE off and then LTE ON

With LTE ONName:  Screenshot_20180914-202134.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  25.4 KB

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I love this bug thanks! I'm now on 3G(H+) and getting up to 25Mbps.
    Now I have less coverage Compared to LTE? What are the limitations?
    I mean 3G is 850/1900. Do I lose access to LTE frequency or it will affect data only, no coverage?
    Still a bit confused how it works

Yes, if you manually disable LTE on your handset, you will only get 3G coverage. Right now, I wouldn't expect there to be many areas where there is LTE-only coverage, but there could be areas and times when only LTE works well, as its total capacity (i.e. for all users) is higher, and will get higher as more frequency bands are added. In particular, LTE may continue to provide usable Internet speeds where the signal is weak and 3G can't get any throughput.

If I were on Public Mobile as some friends are, I would leave LTE enabled for almost all usage, but would disable LTE just for when I specifically need higher throughput, such as when uploading a weekend's worth of photographs. It's also handy (nothing to do with PM's LTE speed cap) to manually control bands when there is a local network issue, as sometimes it's band-specific -- this is rare.

One reason to leave LTE on, is the low latency -- the round-trip time for Internet communications. When you are browsing complex Web pages, those pages may be composed of dozens or hundreds of little requests for data for various sites and scripts. Even with a speed cap, LTE still has that snappy response to make the user experience better most of the time. So, I'd leave it on by default.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My guess is that, when you initiate a network search, it's still looking at everything available, despite the fact that you have set it to only conduct operations on 3G.

And remember: there's no such thing as 4G. There are various revisions of 3G that are all backwards and forwards compatible with each other, and there's LTE. LTE was originally supposed to be 4G, but the marketeers got their hands on it and started marketting HSPA+ (a 3G technology) as 4G. The term LTE was never intended by the ITU technical committees to be seen by the general public, any more than UMTS, WCDMA, HSPA, or HSPA+. The public was only ever supposed to see GSM, 3G, and 4G. Now we can't have nice things.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ROBBERS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    Yes, if you manually disable LTE on your handset, you will only get 3G coverage. Right now, I wouldn't expect there to be many areas where there is LTE-only coverage, but there could be areas and times when only LTE works well, as its total capacity (i.e. for all users) is higher, and will get higher as more frequency bands are added. In particular, LTE may continue to provide usable Internet speeds where the signal is weak and 3G can't get any throughput.

If I were on Public Mobile as some friends are, I would leave LTE enabled for almost all usage, but would disable LTE just for when I specifically need higher throughput, such as when uploading a weekend's worth of photographs. It's also handy (nothing to do with PM's LTE speed cap) to manually control bands when there is a local network issue, as sometimes it's band-specific -- this is rare.

One reason to leave LTE on, is the low latency -- the round-trip time for Internet communications. When you are browsing complex Web pages, those pages may be composed of dozens or hundreds of little requests for data for various sites and scripts. Even with a speed cap, LTE still has that snappy response to make the user experience better most of the time. So, I'd leave it on by default.
    Thanks a lot for a detailed explanation! Now everything is clear and LTE is back on have a great weekend!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ROBBERS
    Feedback Score
    My guess is that, when you initiate a network search, it's still looking at everything available, despite the fact that you have set it to only conduct operations on 3G.

And remember: there's no such thing as 4G. There are various revisions of 3G that are all backwards and forwards compatible with each other, and there's LTE. LTE was originally supposed to be 4G, but the marketeers got their hands on it and started marketting HSPA+ (a 3G technology) as 4G. The term LTE was never intended by the ITU technical committees to be seen by the general public, any more than UMTS, WCDMA, HSPA, or HSPA+. The public was only ever supposed to see GSM, 3G, and 4G. Now we can't have nice things.
    I remember that People get lied and confused for the sake of sales. But if you look at the first screen shot, where LTE is disabled, you will see less networks (my phone shows H+ as 4G as you mentioned).
    And if you look at the second screenshot I posted before my phone shows twice many networks (LTE is on now). And it shows them as 4G LTE. So everything is logical in terms of coverage and networks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    And if you look at the second screenshot I posted before my phone shows twice many networks (LTE is on now). And it shows them as 4G LTE. So everything is logical in terms of coverage and networks
    Ah, right. Sorry about not seeing the two posts being tightly related like that. It makes sense.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ROBBERS
    Feedback Score
    Ah, right. Sorry about not seeing the two posts being tightly related like that. It makes sense.
    No worries, my question was clarified now I understand how it works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2