Thread: Switching phones on PagePlus?

Feedback Score

Switching phones on PagePlus?

Hey

I currently have an Apple 5s phone that a family member gave a a few years back. In any event I am guessing it is at least 4 or 5 years old and I now having to charge it several times a day (wished I could just change out the battery, but at the same time need something with a bigger screen). That being said I am looking to get a new phone and was told to look for an unlocked CDMA phone (not GSM). Also was told to look for a phone that takes a nano sim (guess my current phone has this) or I would have to buy a new sim. Can anyone confirm this? Also does anyone have any good suggestions for places to look for an unlocked phone. It does not have to be an Apple phone and could be a different brand (really looking to spend no more then $200 or $250). Also wondering how to transfer my phone numbers and apps over if it is not an Apple phone. Lastly I need to know to move my number over to a new phone.

thanks for your help
    notsotechsavy

Feedback Score
    Challange is to get a phone that will run on Verizon VoLTE (Voice over LTE), as the 2G/3G CDMA Verizon network will be shut down end of 2019. Verizon has already banned activations of non-VoLTE phones for their own customers, and the MVNOs have only to the end of this year.

Problem is that not all phones can do this. Think that iphones have to be 6 or later, and some older Android phones can't either. Results have varied. Biggest problem seems to be with Verizon branded phones. Some work with VoLTE and some don't.

A SIM swap is not going to get you what you need. It will take a new activation/service transfer on a capable phone to get VoLTE. A late model carrier unlocked phone is a good bet. Places like B&M Photo, Best Buy, etc. I recently transfered sevice to an unlocked Moto G5 Plus on TracFone/Verizon, and got VoLTE, HD Voice, and Visual Voicemail. Good stuff!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I think loboheeler means B&H Photo, www.bhphotovideo.com, not B&M Photo, lol! But the advice is good.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Challange is to get a phone that will run on Verizon VoLTE (Voice over LTE), as the 2G/3G CDMA Verizon network will be shut down end of 2019. Verizon has already banned activations of non-VoLTE phones for their own customers, and the MVNOs have only to the end of this year.

Problem is that not all phones can do this. Think that iphones have to be 6 or later, and some older Android phones can't either. Results have varied. Biggest problem seems to be with Verizon branded phones. Some work with VoLTE and some don't.

A SIM swap is not going to get you what you need. It will take a new activation/service transfer on a capable phone to get VoLTE. A late model carrier unlocked phone is a good bet. Places like B&M Photo, Best Buy, etc. I recently transfered sevice to an unlocked Moto G5 Plus on TracFone/Verizon, and got VoLTE, HD Voice, and Visual Voicemail. Good stuff!
    I have an Iphone 5s on the Standard Plan. How can I find out whether it is OK for the future?

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by analogman View Post
    I have an Iphone 5s on the Standard Plan. How can I find out whether it is OK for the future?
    The 5s will be good for voice and data through the end of 2019. After that LTE data will probably continue to work but voice won't since it uses CDMA for voice which is scheduled to be shut down at the end of 2019.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by music4praise View Post
    The 5s will be good for voice and data through the end of 2019. After that LTE data will probably continue to work but voice won't since it uses CDMA for voice which is scheduled to be shut down at the end of 2019.
    Thanks. I guess I'll be phone shopping about a year from now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by notsotechsavy View Post
    Also wondering how to transfer my phone numbers and apps over if it is not an Apple phone. Lastly I need to know to move my number over to a new phone.
    Phone number will be applied when you transfer the present service to a new phone. Contact numbers are not as easy to get from an iPhone as they are from an Android phone. Here are some ways to do that:
    https://www.androidauthority.com/how...ndroid-186636/

You will need all new apps for an Android phone. Play Store is the place to get them. Some apps have versions for both platforms, and some are different.
    https://play.google.com/store

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256gig (me), iPhone 7 32gig (wife)
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus & Selectel (Verizon MVNOs)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I guess I'll be phone shopping about a year from now.
    Be sure you are ready for the new phone, and note that non-VoLTE capable phones are reportedly not being put on existing or new lines ... they may not be bricks, but finding a carrier might be difficult.

There are numerous stories (I cannot offer any specific citations) where someone tried to swap SIMs between 2 older phones and neither would work again with their carrier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
    Be sure you are ready for the new phone, and note that non-VoLTE capable phones are reportedly not being put on existing or new lines ... they may not be bricks, but finding a carrier might be difficult.
    I have heard that story of non-VoLTE phones not being able to be activated, but not sure where and how often it's happened. I was appalled to see that Total Wireless is dumping a number of old 3G phones so close to the supposed cutoff date for MVNOs of Dec 31, 2018. These are free with a plan purchase, so I guess TW thinks they can be activated.

Feedback Score
    How can I tell if a phone is VoLTE capable?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    How can I tell if a phone is VoLTE capable?
    That is hard to tell, but if the phone's tech specs says it supports Verizon's Advanced Calling or VoLTE, it should work. The only issue is you have to be careful with VoLTE spec in some of the older phones because it might not work with Verizon since T-Mobile and AT&T has VoLTE too and those phones might only work with those carriers. I know at least one phone right off the bat that is that way, and it is the unlocked G4 Play.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    That is hard to tell, but if the phone's tech specs says it supports Verizon's Advanced Calling or VoLTE, it should work. The only issue is you have to be careful with VoLTE spec in some of the older phones because it might not work with Verizon since T-Mobile and AT&T has VoLTE too and those phones might only work with those carriers. I know at least one phone right off the bat that is that way, and it is the unlocked G4 Play.
    Do you mean the unlocked G4 Play will work with Page Plus VoLTE or it won't? I'm not clear on what you meant the last sentence to mean.

And, tech specs I have seen on Ebay are silent as to whether the phone supports Verizon's Advanced Calling or VoLTE. Is there some other spec which indicates VoLTE compatibility?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Do you mean the unlocked G4 Play will work with Page Plus VoLTE or it won't? I'm not clear on what you meant the last sentence to mean.

And, tech specs I have seen on Ebay are silent as to whether the phone supports Verizon's Advanced Calling or VoLTE. Is there some other spec which indicates VoLTE compatibility?
    The unlocked G4 Play will not work at all.

Yea, it is something that most of the sellers does not know about still. I have a friend with a friend with a postpaid account. His friend was looking at the Gizmo Gadget for their kids about week or two before September 30, 2018 cut off for those. The Gizmo Gadget was on eBay, but when I told my friend to past on this VoLTE info on, he found out it would not get them in time. They was happy that passed that info on because they would have bought it and could not get it activated.

You have to read the specs of the phone from company that makes the phone, or search around and see if anyone talks about VoLTE or HD Calling with Verizon. Verizon's Advanced Calling feature is Verizon's branding for VoLTE and HD Calling.