Thread: T-Mobile Mobile Internet Dilemma

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Mobile Internet Dilemma

I currently have 5 $10 Simple Choice North America Mobile Internet lines on an account. I use these 5 lines, in conjunction with Google Voice, as cellular lines using cellular data and WiFi with various T-Mobile branded Android devices. For the most part, this setup works well. Most calls sound great with little distortion, however, Verizon calls and calls to landlines give the most issues. And there are times when the phone does not ring at all when somebody calls, even when there is a strong data connection or WiFi connection.

As a test, I switched one of the Mobile Internet lines to the $10 Simple Choice North America for Wearables with Separate Number : Unlimited Talk + Text + 500MB High-Speed Data. With this line, I can make "real" calls on the T-Mobile network with any smartphone and while roaming domestically (since data calls while roaming sound horrible). The quality of calls are superior to the data calls of the Mobile Internet plan. However, the Wearable plan includes 500MB of high-speed data while the Mobile Internet plan includes 2GB of high-speed data. The Wearable plan does not allow for Mobile Hotspot use either.

My fear is one day T-Mobile will block the Wearable plan from non-wearable equipment or limit the Wearable plan (again) to T-Mobile sold Wearables only. I worry less about the Mobile Internet plans being blocked since T-Mobile has less network restrictions on these type of devices. T-Mobile, technically, only allows T-Mobile branded Wearables on a wearable plan, but it seems this restriction has been lifted.

Should I leave the lines on the Mobile Internet plans with 2GB of high-speed data or should I switch the lines over to the 500MB Wearable ? The Mobile Internet lines are less restrictive than the Wearable lines, at least according the plan verbage on the website. Do you think T-Mobile will ever block this line from use in any device other than a T-Mobile Wearable?

Ideally, I would prefer to move all the lines over to the Wearable plan. I know the plan includes less high-speed data but it would be nice to use the cellular network to make "real" voice calls instead of data calls using Google Voice. Does anyone else have experience with this setup and if so, what do you recommend? I am hoping for a setup that will last for many years. I am torn on which plan to choose (for the long haul). I would like some suggestions and input on which plan has the most value for the money. And, do I have any valid concerns about the Wearable line being blocked down the road from using any Wearable device not sold by T-Mobile?

Feedback Score
    They can always block devices in the future. So there's no way to predict that. However, I think the chance of them blocking devices from the Simple Choice North America for Wearables plan because it's a grandfathered plan and since those plans are limited to 500 mb, they cost T-Mobile very little. So I can't see them going to the trouble to modify the plan.

You may want to leave one of your five lines on the Mobile Internet plan in case something happens with the Wearables plan. Usually it's pretty easy to get them to add something you already have to additional lines.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    They can always block devices in the future. So there's no way to predict that. However, I think the chance of them blocking devices from the Simple Choice North America for Wearables plan because it's a grandfathered plan and since those plans are limited to 500 mb, they cost T-Mobile very little. So I can't see them going to the trouble to modify the plan.

You may want to leave one of your five lines on the Mobile Internet plan in case something happens with the Wearables plan. Usually it's pretty easy to get them to add something you already have to additional lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post

Thank you for your input, Jet.

I think that is a very wise idea. I will probably switch 4 lines to the Wearable plan and keep 1 line as a Mobile Internet line. My wife is more picky than myself about her call clarity and reliability. I will probably keep my line as the Mobile Internet line and switch the family to the Wearable plans. We do not use a ton of mobile data and use WiFi most of the time. 2GB seemed to be the sweet spot for everyone on the plan, so 500MB is definitely a downgrade but actual network voice services will help the few who have more voice issues than myself. And for $10 per month, I really cannot complain about either plan. Both options save our family a ton of money over similar offerings.

I did reach out to T-Force about the Wearable plan and if they still block non-T-Mobile branded equipment from this plan. The rep told me I am free to try the SIM in any network compatible device and if it works, great. I think this plan will go under the radar and will work with any device, except data first devices. This plan specifically blocks Mobile Hotspot Tethering, unlike the Mobile Internet plans.

I wonder if T-Mobile now allows older plans, such as T-Zones, access to the web with a branded T-Mobile smartphone device. Maybe T-Mobile only blocks Mobile Hotspot Tethering from certain ineligible plans instead of not allowing specific devices from the network. It would seem easier, from a network perspective, to block Mobile Hotspot and Tethering from specific ineligible plans.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schippma View Post
    I currently have 5 $10 Simple Choice North America Mobile Internet lines on an account. I use these 5 lines, in conjunction with Google Voice, as cellular lines using cellular data and WiFi with various T-Mobile branded Android devices. For the most part, this setup works well. Most calls sound great with little distortion, however, Verizon calls and calls to landlines give the most issues. And there are times when the phone does not ring at all when somebody calls, even when there is a strong data connection or WiFi connection.

As a test, I switched one of the Mobile Internet lines to the $10 Simple Choice North America for Wearables with Separate Number : Unlimited Talk + Text + 500MB High-Speed Data. With this line, I can make "real" calls on the T-Mobile network with any smartphone and while roaming domestically (since data calls while roaming sound horrible). The quality of calls are superior to the data calls of the Mobile Internet plan. However, the Wearable plan includes 500MB of high-speed data while the Mobile Internet plan includes 2GB of high-speed data. The Wearable plan does not allow for Mobile Hotspot use either.

My fear is one day T-Mobile will block the Wearable plan from non-wearable equipment or limit the Wearable plan (again) to T-Mobile sold Wearables only. I worry less about the Mobile Internet plans being blocked since T-Mobile has less network restrictions on these type of devices. T-Mobile, technically, only allows T-Mobile branded Wearables on a wearable plan, but it seems this restriction has been lifted.

Should I leave the lines on the Mobile Internet plans with 2GB of high-speed data or should I switch the lines over to the 500MB Wearable ? The Mobile Internet lines are less restrictive than the Wearable lines, at least according the plan verbage on the website. Do you think T-Mobile will ever block this line from use in any device other than a T-Mobile Wearable?

Ideally, I would prefer to move all the lines over to the Wearable plan. I know the plan includes less high-speed data but it would be nice to use the cellular network to make "real" voice calls instead of data calls using Google Voice. Does anyone else have experience with this setup and if so, what do you recommend? I am hoping for a setup that will last for many years. I am torn on which plan to choose (for the long haul). I would like some suggestions and input on which plan has the most value for the money. And, do I have any valid concerns about the Wearable line being blocked down the road from using any Wearable device not sold by T-Mobile?
    Not intended to be critical, but asking, what's the attraction to a plan which by requires so much constant attention, has questionable reliability, with virtually no data. If your happy with Tm coverage, why not move to one of newer unlimited plans, and get away from jumping thru all those hoops, for what you're indicating is questionable service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Not intended to be critical, but asking, what's the attraction to a plan which by requires so much constant attention, has questionable reliability, with virtually no data. If your happy with Tm coverage, why not move to one of newer unlimited plans, and get away from jumping thru all those hoops, for what you're indicating is questionable service.
    What alternative would you recommend that only costs $10 per month per line?

Feedback Score

I wonder if T-Mobile now allows older plans, such as T-Zones, access to the web with a branded T-Mobile smartphone device.
    As far as I know, T-Mobile continues to add new branded devices to their T-Zones blocking database to prevent data access. Maybe, one day, they'll end this as few people use the plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Jet is right. The attraction to this plan is due to the price for my family and I. Most people do not require a cell phone that is constantly reliable. If someone cannot get ahold of me, they can leave a message. The service, using this method, is surprising good, but again, it does have its drawbacks.

I would rather spend my money on other things than a cellular plan. If I can find a way to save some money, I will do it. If I can save over $100 per month on my cellular plan for minor issues, that's a small price to pay, at least in my book. But, to each their own.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Jet is right. The attraction to this plan is due to the price for my family and I. Most people do not require a cell phone that is constantly reliable. If someone cannot get ahold of me, they can leave a message. The service, using this method, is surprising good, but again, it does have its drawbacks.

I would rather spend my money on other things than a cellular plan. If I can find a way to save some money, I will do it. If I can save over $100 per month on my cellular plan for minor issues, that's a small price to pay, at least in my book. But, to each their own.
    Understood........