Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 61 to 75 of 75

Thread: Verizonís New Device Unlocking Policy-LIVE

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    S„o Paulo-Brazil
    Posts
    62
    Device(s)
    Galaxy A8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I’ve never heard of a phone that can have two separate lines active simultaneously. If you know of one, please post that info here. I do have a sim sticker from FlexiroamX that allows me to toggle between separate carriers, which works well. I suspect similar technology is involved with the eSIM on the new Apple phones.
    Most Android phones sold in Latin America are like that, but the second SIM usually is GSM/UMTS only. Some newer phones, including the Asus branded ones, are already LTE dual-standby.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,233
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrores View Post
    Most Android phones sold in Latin America are like that, but the second SIM usually is GSM/UMTS only. Some newer phones, including the Asus branded ones, are already LTE dual-standby.
    I wonder how that will work if you are on a call or data connection and a call comes in on the other line. Unless the radio makes a quick check on the other band often enough to ping the other tower and have an unnoticeable change.

    Definitely don't want Pandora, etc, on a connection block a call on the other sim.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    S„o Paulo-Brazil
    Posts
    62
    Device(s)
    Galaxy A8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I wonder how that will work if you are on a call or data connection and a call comes in on the other line. Unless the radio makes a quick check on the other band often enough to ping the other tower and have an unnoticeable change.

    Definitely don't want Pandora, etc, on a connection block a call on the other sim.
    It's like two phones on the same device, one radio for each SIM. The carrier doesn't even know you're using a dial-SIM phone because each radio has its own IMEI. If you are in the middle of a call and another call comes in on the other line, the phone just rings (silently), you can answer the call and change between calls (even establish a conference call, I think). The only limitation is that you can have only one data connection at a time. Another downside is that, since they've got two active radios, the battery drains much faster, but they are handy for many people nonetheless.

    Is it really that hard to find dual-SIM phones in the US?

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,233
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrores View Post
    It's like two phones on the same device, one radio for each SIM. The carrier doesn't even know you're using a dial-SIM phone because each radio has its own IMEI. If you are in the middle of a call and another call comes in on the other line, the phone just rings (silently), you can answer the call and change between calls (even establish a conference call, I think). The only limitation is that you can have only one data connection at a time. Another downside is that, since they've got two active radios, the battery drains much faster, but they are handy for many people nonetheless.

    Is it really that hard to find dual-SIM phones in the US?
    There are apparently different implementations of dual sim mode, the best requires 2 separate radios. The worst is you have to manually choose which SIM can receive/make calls. Apple's version only allows 1 CDMA service at a time.

    So, until someone can test and show different, I suspect that if you are on a call, a call to the other number will go to voice mail. And there must be support to periodically check the other line when on data to see if a voice call is incoming.

    I can't see Apple putting 2 completely independent radios in the iPhone for US markets since the vast majority of people will likely never enable both at the same time.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    935
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    So, until someone can test and show different, I suspect that if you are on a call, a call to the other number will go to voice mail. And there must be support to periodically check the other line when on data to see if a voice call is incoming.
    I read something a couple of days ago in a Q&A on the Apple site that confirmed this is the way it will work ó secondary calls to voicemail when you are already on the phone. But it is dual standby, so either line will ring for an incoming call if youíre not already on a call.

    They also allow you to default the voice line two ways - for all calls, and also for each person in your contacts. So for example, I can default my outgoing calls to use one sim but have certain of my work contacts automatically dial out on my other number. Iíve not seen this before, and presume it will be very convenient.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    S„o Paulo-Brazil
    Posts
    62
    Device(s)
    Galaxy A8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    There are apparently different implementations of dual sim mode, the best requires 2 separate radios. The worst is you have to manually choose which SIM can receive/make calls. Apple's version only allows 1 CDMA service at a time.

    So, until someone can test and show different, I suspect that if you are on a call, a call to the other number will go to voice mail. And there must be support to periodically check the other line when on data to see if a voice call is incoming.

    I can't see Apple putting 2 completely independent radios in the iPhone for US markets since the vast majority of people will likely never enable both at the same time.
    Sorry guys, I just tested my phone with two lines and, even though it has 2 radios, I couldn't answer two calls. I was so sure I could do it I didn't even bother testing. After reading what you people said, I decided to test it out in order to make sure. The results were even worse, after I answered the call, which came in through SIM 2, I lost data connection from SIM 1 and ended up with no data connection at all.

    Apparently, dual standby isn't enough for a phone to handle two calls simultaneously. It has to be dial SIM "Full Active", which is very hard to find.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    7,336
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    There are apparently different implementations of dual sim mode, the best requires 2 separate radios. The worst is you have to manually choose which SIM can receive/make calls. Apple's version only allows 1 CDMA service at a time.

    So, until someone can test and show different, I suspect that if you are on a call, a call to the other number will go to voice mail. And there must be support to periodically check the other line when on data to see if a voice call is incoming.

    I can't see Apple putting 2 completely independent radios in the iPhone for US markets since the vast majority of people will likely never enable both at the same time.
    But what if you’re on LTE (VoLTE?) Does that change anything? I’m rarely ever on CDMA.
    iPhone 11 Pro 256GB on Verizon eSIM (Get More Unlimited plan) + Mint 2nd SIM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,263
    Feedback Score
    0
    I had an Asus dual-SIM and at that time (GSM only, no CDMA), the second SIM was only 2G/3G. No VoLTE capabilities on the LTE side either.
    And yes, that could answer the second call, because in GSM the link would drop anyway to 3G during a call.

    The issue is that in EU the originating caller pays differently, based on what network he terminates the call. Like you would use the Vodafone SIM to call Vodafone phones, but the Orange SIM to call Orange subscribers. You would not call other companies or land lines without a hefty "penalty" on your minutes. With them starting to port numbers, you can't tell anymore what network the other person is (before they would have dedicated prefix numbers). Ah, and no "unlimited voice" plans either.
    Dual SIM is not used that much, since the data become cheaper. Everyone uses something like WhatsApp.

    In US that's not the case, all the calls are costing the originating party the same. All phones in an area (land lines, mobiles) have same prefix number (area code).
    But the calls are costing also the recipient (minutes), based on his plan. I think it's a fair system, no hidden surprises. So there is no need for two SIMs, especially when you would have to pay service for both of them

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    S„o Paulo-Brazil
    Posts
    62
    Device(s)
    Galaxy A8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    I had an Asus dual-SIM and at that time (GSM only, no CDMA), the second SIM was only 2G/3G. No VoLTE capabilities on the LTE side either.
    And yes, that could answer the second call, because in GSM the link would drop anyway to 3G during a call.

    The issue is that in EU the originating caller pays differently, based on what network he terminates the call. Like you would use the Vodafone SIM to call Vodafone phones, but the Orange SIM to call Orange subscribers. You would not call other companies or land lines without a hefty "penalty" on your minutes. With them starting to port numbers, you can't tell anymore what network the other person is (before they would have dedicated prefix numbers). Ah, and no "unlimited voice" plans either.
    Dual SIM is not used that much, since the data become cheaper. Everyone uses something like WhatsApp.

    In US that's not the case, all the calls are costing the originating party the same. All phones in an area (land lines, mobiles) have same prefix number (area code).
    But the calls are costing also the recipient (minutes), based on his plan. I think it's a fair system, no hidden surprises. So there is no need for two SIMs, especially when you would have to pay service for both of them
    That was the main reason people had many lines on their phones - having multiple carriers - not just in Europe but elsewhere. Back in the flip phone era, it was common to find phones with three, even four SIMs. I met people who had all carriers on their phones.

    But things have changed, now carriers began offering unlimited talk & text even for prepaid plans. Since then, it seems that dual SIM phones have lost their appeal, now the people who use them are the ones who really need two lines.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    7,336
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    For me the reason is that some carriers are less expensive and have faster & better urban service (T-Mobile here) while others have better rural ccoverage (Verizon.) Also I do business in China and while expensing travelpass works just fine, I can burn through the 500MB daily data quickly and I’d like to try to get a local SIM for data if possible. Both of these are “nice to have” for me and really not critical otherwise I’d have already switched to a dual SIM phone by now but I am looking forward to trying dual SIM on iPhone.

    Having said that, do we know yet if Verizon is actually locking the iPhone XS yet? I guess we’ll
    have to wait and see to know for sure. I’m in no rush so if they are, I’ll buy out out their DPP and get on Apple’s (I like the annual trade-in programs.) If I have to, I’ll wait for them to starts selling the “unlocked” one and pay outright.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    487
    Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9 View Post
    But what if you’re on LTE (VoLTE?) Does that change anything? I’m rarely ever on CDMA.
    No.
    Each line is registered with the network with it's own IMEI and SIM.
    The lines are dual standby not dual active.
    Dual standby will allow you to answer and incoming call on either line, but while on a call, calls to the other line roll to VM.

    Dual active is essentially two phones in one physical device.
    I don't think I have ever seen a dual active device.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    84
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    No.
    Each line is registered with the network with it's own IMEI and SIM.
    The lines are dual standby not dual active.
    Dual standby will allow you to answer and incoming call on either line, but while on a call, calls to the other line roll to VM.

    Dual active is essentially two phones in one physical device.
    I don't think I have ever seen a dual active device.
    Dual standby is all you need to be honest. You can always enable call forwarding if youíd like.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    228
    Feedback Score
    0
    Will a new iPhone 8 plus be locked to Verizon?

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chester, IL
    Posts
    7,063
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizonís New Device Unlocking Policy-LIVE

    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Generation Entitlement. Companies/Government need to give away free stuff. Or else...
    Ah, and blame and insult anyone that doesn't think the same.
    Or maybe some of us want the law to be interpreted as it is and not how Verizon wants it to be interpreted. How is that ďentitledĒ? By the way, Iím a Gen Xíer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chester, IL
    Posts
    7,063
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizonís New Device Unlocking Policy-LIVE

    Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    So the phone I buy from bestbuy at full price will be locked for 60 days? This makes no sense. All my iPhones have been Verizon though I have never had Verizon service. T-Mobile it is then.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you pay for a phone outright, it should be unlocked. Period. Furthermore, even in the old days where DPP phones were unlocked, Verizon could blacklist the phones that were not up to date on their payments. It seems that people are afraid within Verizon that their customers would pop in AT&T and T-Mobile SIMís and find that their once large coverage lead has all but evaporated. Verizon already had comprehensive anti-fraud tools to deal with the problem. What we have been seeing on this thread is people who accept Verizonís logic without any hint of thinking things through on their own.

    I can kind of see what Verizon is doing to a point on DPP, but even still that is kind of sketchy given the open access laws. The other providers who lock phones under device payment plans donít have spectrum with open access provisions.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Similar Threads

  1. New Verizon 4G prepaid device unlock policy
    By pclover in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-29-2016, 11:10 AM
  2. Bell New Bell unlocking policy
    By howard in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-19-2014, 04:08 PM
  3. New Handset Unlocking Policy for Fido
    By Tri3Dent in forum Fido
    Replies: 240
    Last Post: 09-13-2011, 05:55 PM
  4. New Cingular Unlock Policy?
    By NuG050 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 11:47 AM
  5. New Rogers Unlocking Policy?
    By YYZer in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-20-2002, 11:53 AM

Bookmarks