Thread: Transferring from micro-sim TF BYOP to nano-sim TF BYOP, want to keep Triple Minutes

Feedback Score

Transferring from micro-sim TF BYOP to nano-sim TF BYOP, want to keep Triple Minutes

Greetings.

My current unlocked GSM phone uses a Tracfone Bring-Your-Own-Phone micro-SIM (AT&T), with Triple Minutes.
    My new unlocked GSM phone requires a nano-SIM.
    I want to switch my number (permanently) to the new phone, but keep the Triple Minutes feature.

Am I correct that if I got a new TF BYOP nano-SIM and had TF transfer the number from the old micro-SIM, I'd lose the Triple Minutes benefit?
    If so, would my only other option be to cut the micro down to a nano? I already have a micro-to-nano cutter available.

Thanks.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by allenw01234 View Post
    Am I correct that if I got a new TF BYOP nano-SIM and had TF transfer the number from the old micro-SIM, I'd lose the Triple Minutes benefit?
    If so, would my only other option be to cut the micro down to a nano? I already have a micro-to-nano cutter available.
    If the new SIM came from a kit without TMFL, then you'll lose TMFL benefit. You can cut the micro-SIM down to nano-SIM, or look for an older kit with TMFL at a local Dollar General, Family Dollar store.

Name:  Tracfone-SIM-Kits-side-by-side.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  85.4 KB

Feedback Score
    I received a pm from alex from trafone in response to a post i had about triple minutes promo and new stylo 4.

"Hi, geomobile. This is Alex from TracFone Wireless. All newly released branded TracFone Smartphones and Bring Your Own Phone Triple Punch SIM Kit will no longer have the Triple Minute Plan benefits. Existing handsets will still have the same benefits.

However, as an incentive to customers, all TracFone customer who will upgrade from a feature phone to a Smartphone will get the Triple Minute Plan benefits as a promotion for upgrading to a new Smartphone.

Also, if you currently have the said benefits on your phone, it will be transferred to the new Smartphone"

I went on the tracfone chat to clarify if a customer old BYOP sim (with triple minutes benefit) were to upgrade to a new BYOP phone with a new sim (without triple minutes) would keep the benefit. The chat person affirmed that yes the TMFL benefits would transfer to the new phone during this promotional period.

Feedback Score
    @geomobile

How long ago did you get the PM from AlexTrac and the Chat conversation? I transferred service in late July from a TMFL TracFone to a non-TMFL BYOP and did not get the TMFL carried over.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    @ allenw01234
    With geomobile`s Info in mind, get on Chat with Tracfone and verify this still applies, have chat show you your current balance and end date, then have them transfer service to activate the new phone (SIM). Try to stay on chat until you can verify everything is correct. Also make sure you have a ticket number and a cut and paste of the whole chat session before leaving chat. Do not depend on the e-mailed chat ever arriving.

Check the TMFL status by doing a trial airtime purchase from Tracfone.com and pay close attention to what is offered for your phone number.

If the TMFL were not applied at activation, a CSR may not know how to add it without a service transfer to a replacement SIM.
    Last edited by Tracfancier; 09-11-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Check the TMFL status by doing a trial airtime purchase from Tracfone.com and pay close attention to what is offered for your phone number.
    I did check what kind of airtime they would sell for my recent activation from a TMFL phone to a non-TFML BYOP phone. At first it listed both Basic and Smartphone cards, but then later changed to only listing Smartphone cards. I did not care about TMFL, so bought a new SIM kit to have the best chance to get VoLTE and VVM. Maybe overcautious. The Smartphone cards are a better deal for my use, and had not bought Basic cards for a couple of years.

Feedback Score
    I received almost exactly the same message from "Alex" today in response to my original post. I wrote back to confirm that it would work when transferring from an existing BYOP smartphone, and he claimed it would:

Yes, your current Bring Your Own Phone already has the Triple Minute Plan benefits, you will still continue to receive such benefits on your new Bring Your Own Phone after the phone upgrade process.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please chat with us at http://bit.ly/2qdrKHH, or text the word Help to short code 611611. For your convenience, our representatives are available Mondays to Sundays from 08:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST. ^Robert

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    @geomobile

How long ago did you get the PM from AlexTrac and the Chat conversation? I transferred service in late July from a TMFL TracFone to a non-TMFL BYOP and did not get the TMFL carried over.
    I received the PM and chatted with customer service just yesterday.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't count on it transferring.

Do you still have the nano SIM from the kit you got the current SIM from?

Of not the easiest/surest rout is cut the SIM. Still some risk there, but less than trusting TF.

YMMV
    Last edited by ST Dog; 09-13-2018 at 12:39 AM.

Feedback Score
    Cut it to nano. Works like a charm. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-3...IAAOSw4tNak783

Feedback Score
    I just transferred online from micro ATT/BYOP to nano ATT/BYOP. Both sims came from a TMFL kit.

It took about an hour for the old sim to deactivate and I was concerned because the new sim was just sitting there. Then it dawned on me to power cycle the new sim and it worked fine.

The strange thing is that I was scrolling through the history of the upgrade as they call it while I was anxiously waiting, and it shows a 30 min card as part of the process. No idea what that means, certainly didn't receive it.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Someone has to have a TMFL AT&T BYOP SIM laying around that you could send this person? Many boasted of having a stack of BYOP sims laying around from the Dollar General $1 mistake deal?

@allenw01234 is TMFL even all that much of advantage for you to use with a smartphone?
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks and now months, TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    Someone has to have a TMFL AT&T BYOP SIM laying around that you could send this person?
    allenw01234: I have the GSM part of a kit that I bought in November 2017. I used some of the CDMA set but the GSM part is untouched. Has ATT and Tmobile sims. The Tmobile sims actually state: "Activate by 09/27/2019" so you should be set to use the ATT sims. Will try to send a PM to you.