Thread: Will Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus work with Project Fi?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score

Will Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus work with Project Fi?

Hello fellow Project Fi users. I am having the hardest time figuring out whether or not I can use a Galaxy S9 Plus on Fi? Someone whom i consider reliable, told me, that I can use a lot of different phones on Project Fi, not just the 4 or 5 phones they have listed on their site, they said the difference is, different phones that use different kinds of networks ....and I have no clue what goes after that.
    CNET has this S9 link on this page https://www.cnet.com/topics/phones/best-phones/ , here is the phone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JXY4TJ...1-050d9ef899e8

Can I use Fi on this phone? Will I be able to use all the networks that Project Fi rents antennas from?

Thank you

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Nexus 6P, Moto G5 Plus, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Short answer - no.

Longer answer - you can't activate a Project Fi main SIM on a non-compatible phone. If you get the SIM to activate then move the SIM to your S9+, you will only be able to use T-Mobile's network, and most people have issues with MMS.

Even if the phone has all the bands necessary to work with Project Fi, only those on the list have full functionality.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    Short answer - no.

Longer answer - you can't activate a Project Fi main SIM on a non-compatible phone. If you get the SIM to activate then move the SIM to your S9+, you will only be able to use T-Mobile's network, and most people have issues with MMS.

Even if the phone has all the bands necessary to work with Project Fi, only those on the list have full functionality.
    aha, okay I see. So, not a good choice then.

Can someone please help me then? What non-contract carrier would be the best choice for me in the Midwest? I don't use a lot of 4G LTE data, mostly its Wifi. I think the S9 is a good fit for my gorilla paws, so what carrier could I bring my project fi account over from?

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Nexus 6P, Moto G5 Plus, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor2tall View Post
    What non-contract carrier would be the best choice for me in the Midwest? I don't use a lot of 4G LTE data, mostly its Wifi. I think the S9 is a good fit for my gorilla paws, so what carrier could I bring my project fi account over from?
    That depends on where you live, work, and travel. Verizon has the best coverage, but if you are always in urban areas then all four will probably work for you. You can even include US Cellular if you are always in their coverage area.

Sensory and CellMapper are good websites to see which carrier works best for the places you go to, then depending on how much data you use a month go with an MVNO that works for you (Mint Mobile, Cricket Wireless, Total Wireless, Boost, etc).