Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: AT&T Winning The 5G Race?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    263
    Feedback Score
    0

    AT&T Winning The 5G Race?

    It looks like AT&T has more cities on their launch list than Verizon. Also, they have their "fake" 5G running now similar to the rollout they had with HSPA+ when 4G was rolling out. Is Verizon off the ball?

    https://www.cultofmac.com/574397/why...t-a-5g-iphone/

    Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by catt3911; 09-10-2018 at 11:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    450
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7+, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    It’s not real 5G so no.. I wouldn’t say Verizon is off the ball yet. But it will be interesting as to to who makes a bigger impact with 5G.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    342
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    This article on FierceWirelss sounds intriguing regarding AT&T, power lines, and 5G.

    https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...rgig-paired-5g

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    904
    Feedback Score
    0

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    263
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    This article on FierceWirelss sounds intriguing regarding AT&T, power lines, and 5G.

    https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...rgig-paired-5g
    Hum...and I'm sure AT&T owns more utility lines than Verizon.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    342
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by catt3911 View Post
    Hum...and I'm sure AT&T owns more utility lines than Verizon.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app
    I'm sure the power companies would love some extra cash from AT&T for minimal investment/labor on their part. And AT&T will love if it boosts their bottom line as well. Maybe it won't even work they way they think. Who knows? But it's interesting.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    969
    Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    We won’t know for a couple of years which providers smartly build out 5G networks. In the meantime, we can enjoy all the conjecture until then.
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    597
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by catt3911 View Post
    It looks like AT&T has more cities on their launch list than Verizon. Also, they have their "fake" 5G running now similar to the rollout they had with HSPA+ when 4G was rolling out. Is Verizon off the ball?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app
    Verizon's is FIXED wireless. Totally different than at&t's. At&t insist there is mobile. Show me a list of 5G capable phones that work on at&t again? The difference that Verizon will have actual customers on 5G on Jan 1st 2019.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    263
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Verizon's is FIXED wireless. Totally different than at&t's. At&t insist there is mobile. Show me a list of 5G capable phones that work on at&t again? The difference that Verizon will have actual customers on 5G on Jan 1st 2019.
    Fixed? Explain please.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    263
    Feedback Score
    0
    From this, AT&T is clearly winning.


    https://www.cultofmac.com/574397/why...t-a-5g-iphone/

    Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    9,790
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    How do Verizon and AT&T plan to address 5G NR coverage outside of urban areas? Do they plan to repurpose Band 5 for 5G?

    Obviously Band 5 won't produce speeds that mmWave / mid band spectrum could provide but it will expand the reach of the air interface beyond large cities/towns.

    Do they plan on partnering with Comcast/Dish to utilize their Band 71 holdings?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    9,790
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by catt3911 View Post
    From this, AT&T is clearly winning.


    https://www.cultofmac.com/574397/why...t-a-5g-iphone/

    Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app
    T-Mobile is launching 5G in 30 cities this year using their mmWave holdings and wideband Band 71. That's a huge omission that the author of that article failed to mention.

    https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/27/1...llas-las-vegas

    But keeping with the theme of only comparing Verizon and AT&T: I think Verizon will offer a faster product due to their immense mmWave holdings but AT&T will serve more POPS at least at launch.

    Neither Verizon or AT&T have given us a clear strategy on how they plan to address mobile 5G NR coverage taking the new interface to rural communities. They will either have to cannibalize (repurpose) existing low band or partner/buy some from Comcast/Dish.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    263
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    T-Mobile is launching 5G in 30 cities this year using their mmWave holdings and wideband Band 71. That's a huge omission that the author of that article failed to mention.

    https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/27/1...llas-las-vegas

    But keeping with the theme of only comparing Verizon and AT&T: I think Verizon will offer a faster product due to their immense mmWave holdings but AT&T will serve more POPS at least at launch.

    Neither Verizon or AT&T have given us a clear strategy on how they plan to address mobile 5G NR coverage taking the new interface to rural communities. They will either have to cannibalize (repurpose) existing low band or partner/buy some from Comcast/Dish.
    Oh my, Verizon really is slipping. They were on it with 4G. What's going on this time around?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    450
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7+, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    How do Verizon and AT&T plan to address 5G NR coverage outside of urban areas? Do they plan to repurpose Band 5 for 5G?

    Obviously Band 5 won't produce speeds that mmWave / mid band spectrum could provide but it will expand the reach of the air interface beyond large cities/towns.

    Do they plan on partnering with Comcast/Dish to utilize their Band 71 holdings?
    I don’t think Verizon will repurpose Band 5 for 5G.. they JUST lit it up for 4G and they aren’t even done yet. They may probably repurpose Band 13 unless they buy Dish’s spectrum.. but who knows?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    597
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by catt3911 View Post
    Fixed? Explain please.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app
    You don't know what fixed wireless is? It's going to be for HOME internet not mobile. You won't be using it on your phone.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnyG...hannel=Verizon

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who will win the 5G Race? - StrawPoll.com
    By kmetz in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-02-2018, 06:05 PM
  2. AT&T Brings the Prepaid iPhone 6s and 6S+ to Best buy!
    By Vicpdx17 in forum AT&T Prepaid (formerly GoPhone)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2018, 09:58 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2018, 09:47 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2017, 01:39 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-12-2016, 11:47 AM

Bookmarks