Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizonís CTO gives forthcoming network a new name: Ď5G Ultra Widebandí

Name:  verizon-uw.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  12.8 KB

Okay folks. Verizon as expected has finally given a nickname to her up and coming 5G network. 5G sounds so vanilla so the big guns at Big Red are calling their new network: "5G Ultra Wideband."

According to Verizon execs: "only Verizon has the three elements needed for 5G," and "the truth is, 5G is only as good as the network it runs on," apparently a jab at its competitors.

Read more below:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/ve...ultra-wideband
    ďThe Internet wasnít meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so itís insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead ó itís a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.Ē John Legere 1/5/2017

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, LG V40 ThinQ, Google Pixel 3, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier(VZ LTE)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    A lot of hype, for something most areas won't see for years. I hope they don't let their 4G network languish in the meantime, and that goes for ALL of the carriers planning to roll it out, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, oh, and that Sprwon't network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    A lot of hype, for something most areas won't see for years. .
    You've got to start somewhere. What kind of attitude is that? That like someone saying "I need to lose 100 pounds but since that'll take long time I might as well not even bother"

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    iPhone Xs Max... now this?

Plus, ultra, mega death, beyond the hype, of infinite space to the 7.47Gs!!!

Feedback Score
    A lot of hype, for something most areas won't see for years. I hope they don't let their 4G network languish in the meantime, and that goes for ALL of the carriers planning to roll it out, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, oh, and that Sprwon't network.
    That's my fear too. VZW practically abandoned the 3G the second they had 4G LTE running (especially after implementing VoLTE).

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    That's my fear too. VZW practically abandoned the 3G the second they had 4G LTE running (especially after implementing VoLTE).
    I couldn't even finish that article. EVDO and the 1X aren't the same network technology. You can shut off EVDO completely and still have your calling network.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    I couldn't even finish that article. EVDO and the 1X aren't the same network technology. You can shut off EVDO completely and still have your calling network.
    Every time I see evdo I always think of evoo (extra virgin olive oil) for some reason

Looking forward to seeing Verizon 5g
    Last edited by themanhimself; 09-14-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Feedback Score
    You have to build your 4G network as dense as possible in order to have 5G. They wonít stop building for LTE. However they should keep a sliver of 1x for the foreseeable future until all those gaps are covered .

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Verizonís CTO gives forthcoming network a new name: Ď5G Ultra Widebandí

Well, right now my 4/100 Cricket line (capped at 3Mbps) is often faster and definitely more reliable for data than my Verizon postpaid line in downtown Seattle. Verizon has a lot of work to do. 5G will probably help.

Yes, Verizon does have better coverage in the rural west, and it is better when I take a trip to the Pacific NW beaches, but I spend 95%+ of my time here in the Seattle area where the congestion just gets worse and worse.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Every time I see evdo I always think of evoo (extra virgin olive oil) for some reason

Looking forward to seeing Verizon 5g
    I do see it the same way too. Except Rachel Ray ruined that. She ruins many things. She should be employed by big red.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    I do see it the same way too. Except Rachel Ray ruined that. She ruins many things. She should be employed by big red.
    I tried that nutrish food and boy did the dog have tons of gas on that stuff. She was rippn em left and right it was bad. Normally she's good so won't use that again

As for Verizon 5g I think it will be pretty solid in the long run. They seem pretty gung ho

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caddypower View Post
    Verizon can call it whatever they want but when their data sucks as it is it's still going to be like putting lipstick on a pig. Still a pig but all dressed up and fancy
    t-mobile troll here to troll obviously

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yawn,

How fast does a data connection on a phone need to be.
    For fixed installations 5G makes sense for an alternative to fiber, etc.
    5G in a phone really doesn't mean anything to me.
    Also the first wave of 5G phone will not be independent of carrier since they are all over the map for frequencies.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    Yawn,

How fast does a data connection on a phone need to be.
    For fixed installations 5G makes sense for an alternative to fiber, etc.
    5G in a phone really doesn't mean anything to me.
    Also the first wave of 5G phone will not be independent of carrier since they are all over the map for frequencies.
    Right, it'll be LTE all over again. I'm sure it will be atrocious in and out coverage the first 6 months. I'm sure battery life will be poor, due to less time to optimize and also poor coverage results in more power used.

I'll state, faster speeds, lower latency, more connections per MHz is all good, but what do we need that much speed for on one device? The jump to LTE was huge - you got latency and speeds typically only available on wifi at home.

The latency jump from 20ms to 10ms is a lot on paper, but hardly noticed by a person. My connection routinely hits 25-50mbps which is enough to stream 4k and then some. At this point, having speeds in the hundreds of mbps can only be fully utilized by multiple connections - the fixed wireless use is much better as an alternative to fiber than just a regular cell phone technology.

Also, I'm not as up on the specs as I should be, but does 5G have voice ready from the get go? The LTE transition was meh, but the VoLTE is/was painful for many.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I tried that nutrish food and boy did the dog have tons of gas on that stuff. She was rippn em left and right it was bad. Normally she's good so won't use that again

As for Verizon 5g I think it will be pretty solid in the long run. They seem pretty gung ho
    Long as they acquire more mid band spectrum theyíll be in a great position. MmW for dense urban areas. The c band in the 3.7-4.2 GHz range will be ideal for macro sites. The goal for the FCC is to get 100 MHz of this spectrum per carrier

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast