Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Crowned Best U.S. Network in Largest Ever Mobile Performance Evaluation

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray, iPad Pro 10.5 256 GB, Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

AT&T Crowned Best U.S. Network in Largest Ever Mobile Performance Evaluation

B2+B66+B30+B5 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 5 MHz)
    Minneapolis, MN

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Any idea what the difference is between root and gws one score? Or could it be just current places tested?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Any idea what the difference is between root and gws one score?
    Root Metrics is funded by Verizon.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Any idea what the difference is between root and gws one score? Or could it be just current places tested?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    GWS does a lot more drive testing and has a lot more data points... they favor reliability and dropped calls over high data tput.

Sent from my iPhone X using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    GWS does a lot more drive testing and has a lot more data points... they favor reliability and dropped calls over high data tput.

Sent from my iPhone X using HoFo
    And that’s what I care about. Data speeds.... meh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    And that’s what I care about. Data speeds.... meh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which they still scored well in:

Overall, based on the nationwide voice and data test results combined with consumer research, AT&T has the Best Network OneScore ranking. Verizon is second with T-Mobile third and Sprint fourth.
    Verizon edges out AT&T for a win for fastest mobile internet upload tasks, like posting videos, photos, and other social media content.
    AT&T has the best video streaming quality and quickest loading time.
    AT&T scores top for voice retainability (i.e. lowest number of dropped calls), while T-Mobile takes the lead for best voice quality on calls made.
    Sprint is the only network to not finish first in any of the voice and data tests.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTE_A View Post
    Root Metrics is funded by Verizon.
    GWS does seem to pass the smell test unlike a lot of these so-called objective evaluations. Yes, Rootmetrics is pretty much a branch of Verizon. And the results from Tom's Guide are cherry-picked to make certain carriers look good. And let's not even get into JD Power and Company, where the company is being reviewed bribe it to get better results.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is one of the first network evals that drive tested northern Michigan and even some locations in the UP!! More data is always a good thing IMO.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Obviously - location matters. In my city, AT&T is pretty decent. In parts of the San Fernando Valley (Frys Woodland Hills) - AT&T rocks at +200Mbps.
    Locally, AT&T and T-Mobile are similar - AT&T has the edge in many areas on speed, but those are close to the cell site, and AT&T has fewer. T-Mobile has more consistent thoughput in my area of +120Mbps.
    Rural - no comparison. AT&T has sites.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    GWS does seem to pass the smell test unlike a lot of these so-called objective evaluations. Yes, Rootmetrics is pretty much a branch of Verizon. And the results from Tom's Guide are cherry-picked to make certain carriers look good. And let's not even get into JD Power and Company, where the company is being reviewed bribe it to get better results.
    Oh, it's not that bad, but the results are about the same as if scoring companies were bribed.

Companies commission (pay) J.D. Powers to perform a study with the carefully picked metrics they know will make the company "THE BIG WINNER". JD then does the study with those parameters. A company has to have a decent product to be able to find parameters that make them look good. The results are still nigh on meaningless.

Rootmetrics is similar, but if you look at the details of the study you can glean some truth. For example, Root states that their 0-100 scale should be considered like school grades. 90 or above should be considered like an A, and so on.

Looking at the most recent Root study of metro areas, I checked a few that T-Mo fanatics were quoting as proof, like the word of God himself, that T-Mo is as good or better than Verizon and AT&T. Verizon, AT&T and T-Mo all had scores in the 90s. They were all Grade-A services. Some places where T-Mo had the highest score, the score was tenths of a point more than Vz or T. That is not a win. That is a statistical tie and Root themselves says so in the notes.

Root also says in the notes that, of course, they cannot and do not check every square foot of the country. You should check to see which carrier is best where you personally live, work and go. Bottom line: Verizon, AT&T and T-Mo are all Grade-A services in metro areas with minor differences. Oustside of metro areas it is a whole different story for T-Mo.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 09-12-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Feedback Score
    From my experience att has been the best coverage overall. I rarely have to wonder if I'll have signal in my travels.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
    From my experience att has been the best coverage overall. I rarely have to wonder if I'll have signal in my travels.
    AT&T and Verizon both have disturbingly large areas that they do not cover well. Verizon is absent from a good part of West Virginia. AT&T and Verizon both are very good where I live and travel in the mid-Atlantic, with a slight edge to Vz. Vz is the only one that has signal inside the house.

I used Sprint for two years. It was ok, but I knew that it was a crapshoot if I would have signal outside of towns and major highways.

Feedback Score
    I don't care that VZW has or doesn't have the best coverage for me. VZW calls sound like tin cans & string.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 09.25.18

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

AT&T Crowned Best U.S. Network in Largest Ever Mobile Performance Evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I don't care that VZW has or doesn't have the best coverage for me. VZW calls sound like tin cans & string.
    Their 1x voice was horrible sounding, but should be improving since more people are using VoLTE. Unless Verizon is purposely compressing 1x voice still.
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I don't chat on cellphones for pleasure. I just need to understand the words and be done with the call as quickly as possible. Vz is going all VoLTE in 2020. I can wait until then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast