Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Selectel and $35 plan

Feedback Score

Selectel and $35 plan

I moved my husband's 3G cell to a new 4G cell today. I have had my 4G cell on Selectel's $30 plan for ages. About a month or two ago I learned I could pay $5 extra a month and get domestic roaming as well as Canada and New Mexico. Great! All is well and it was fantastic leaving the $10 flex card for $0.25/min. behind. Thus the reason I moved my husband to a new 4G cell. He needed it this summer working with the fires. Oregon was majorly in roaming areas and he went through one flex card and part of another. A backup TracFone saved him because roaming was free.

Now I call today to activate his new 4G cell and she tells me as of Aug. 1st, they no longer offer domestic roaming on the $35 plan. I got a call Sept. 2 in a roaming area and it worked fine. So what in the world???

Oh and my husband needs the $35 plan to get VoLTE which she activated on his line but I had no settings that I saw to turn it on from the cell.

Ggggggggrrrrrrrrrr. I am not happy. We both have to have flex cards on the 4G cells to get roaming, Selectel rep says. I am going to the town that has roaming. I will do tests.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Did you try to connect to a different CSR or a supervisor to see if the CSR that gave you the info about the $35 plan no longer including domestic roaming was just stupid or ignorant?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    There are articles around the internet about Selectel adding domestic voice roaming with the new $35 and $45 plans from May, 2018.

If Selectel takes domestic voice roaming away and only keeps included calling TO Canada and Mexico (not roaming there), that seems like a pretty poor deal!

Calls to Canada are free using Google Voice or ~$0.01/min with most calling cards, and calls to Mexico are $0.01-$0.02/min with GV and most calling cards. Rebtel has unlimited calling to Canada & Mexico for $2/mo each. So the Seletel $35 and $45 plans lose their value if domestic voice roaming is taken away!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    However, http://www.selectelwireless.com/product/35enhanced/ says domestic voice roaming is still included, so I don't know what's going on with Selectel. Apparently, Selectel CSRs don't, either!

$35.00
    Add to cart
    Description 
    Unlimited Domestic Voice Minutes
    Unlimited SMS & MMS Messages
    Unlimited Data First 1GB up to 4G LTE then 2G
    Unlimited Domestic Voice Roaming
    Unlimited Direct Dial Calls to Mexico & Canada Landlines & Mobile Numbers
    Caller ID
    Call Waiting
    Voice Mail
    Call Forwarding
    30 Day Plan
    No Annual Contract

Feedback Score
    Yup all that is what I understood too. Guess what?! Both unlocked cells (Moto E4 & Moto G4 Play) were in Extended Service showing LTE in top bar and SIM stats showed "not roaming". So I dialed my husband as a test because I have no flex card stacked so a successful call would only happen if it didn't depend on a needed flex card. I got the message to double dial (usually happens when roaming) and I did and his cell rang. Go figure!

I didn't proceed with worrying about VoLTE. He's still on the $30 plan until the end of the month so it might not have kicked in until he pays $35.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    CSR said I must have been getting better service in the area I mentioned when I told her I was getting/making calls without a flex card there. I told her I saw the domestic roaming offer on the internet and she disputed that so after I hung up, I looked and the mention of it is gone now. I know I was NOT able to make/receive calls on Boom with Extended service nor with Selectel after their free roaming got discontinued. I got it back @ $0.25/min on $30/mo. plan and then last month on $35/mo. plan.

Feedback Score
    Forgot to mention I had my husband on my old 3G cell to have him try it out. He's a flip phone guy so I wasn't sure if he'd go for a smart phone. He needs updated in his line of work. Then I found out the $35 offer w/domestic roaming is for 4G cells ONLY. Wow! Thus the move to 4G and then she's telling me the "$5 extra for free roaming offer" went away. Hhhhmmmm.

She did say the $35 & $45 plans have hot spot. I didn't take note what plans on their site said about that.

Feedback Score
    mizwiz, I would see if you can contact wardcst
    he is actually a selectel reseller as well, and owns http://www.batmobilewireless.com/
    He has helped me out numerous times, even went to far as to call me (without asking) on a sunday night to help me out.
    It looks like he hasn't been on the forum in a few months, but maybe you can call his business and give him your account number and he could help you figure things out.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    CSR said I must have been getting better service in the area I mentioned when I told her I was getting/making calls without a flex card there. I told her I saw the domestic roaming offer on the internet and she disputed that so after I hung up, I looked and the mention of it is gone now. I know I was NOT able to make/receive calls on Boom with Extended service nor with Selectel after their free roaming got discontinued. I got it back @ $0.25/min on $30/mo. plan and then last month on $35/mo. plan.
    I still see "Unlimited Domestic Voice Roaming" at http://www.selectelwireless.com/product/35enhanced/ .

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    mizwiz, I would see if you can contact wardcst
    he is actually a selectel reseller as well, and owns http://www.batmobilewireless.com/
    He has helped me out numerous times, even went to far as to call me (without asking) on a sunday night to help me out.
    It looks like he hasn't been on the forum in a few months, but maybe you can call his business and give him your account number and he could help you figure things out.
    I'm not sure what wardcst is up to. http://www.batmobilewireless.com/plan-comparisons/ isn't updated with Selectel's current plans.

http://www.batmobilewireless.com/coverage-map/ doesn't look right, either.

Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Busy in the store.
    I mostly use website for autopays.
    Doing well.
    Any place you can double dial out and roam with a flex card you can call out and not pay roaming on the 35, 45, 55, plans...double dialing is still necessary as far as I have heard.
    Good luck all..

Feedback Score
    Ty for confirmation. I don't know why the CSR said it was gone.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wardcst View Post
    Busy in the store.
    I mostly use website for autopays.
    Doing well.
    Any place you can double dial out and roam with a flex card you can call out and not pay roaming on the 35, 45, 55, plans...double dialing is still necessary as far as I have heard.
    Good luck all..
    Ty for confirmation. I don't know why the CSR said it was gone.
    Thanks for the info, wardcst! I'm glad you're doing well!

I'm also glad Selectel didn't really make a change for the worse!

Anyway, that's why I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Did you try to connect to a different CSR or a supervisor to see if the CSR that gave you the info about the $35 plan no longer including domestic roaming was just stupid or ignorant?
    I still see "Unlimited Domestic Voice Roaming" at http://www.selectelwireless.com/product/35enhanced/ .
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    I just tested it myself. Better than taking anyone's word. Their website doesn't show domestic roaming on the $35 plan so maybe they stopped highlighting that. Previous rep said it doesn't work for everyone and she just said ... try it.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I just tested it myself. Better than taking anyone's word. Their website doesn't show domestic roaming on the $35 plan so maybe they stopped highlighting that. Previous rep said it doesn't work for everyone and she just said ... try it.
    Except it does, like I've pointed out twice already above.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast