Thread: Apple's 2018 Watch & iPhone Event

Carrier(s)
    Just switched to Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Post Apple's 2018 Watch & iPhone Event

Apple's September keynote for 2018 has just wrapped up. Here's a quick rundown of notable announcements. Check tomorrow morning's news briefing for additional reactions from the wider tech press.

Apple Watch Series 4

30% larger screen
    thinner - 40mm vs 44mm
    new complications, faces
    improved digital crown and speaker
    back is now ceramic & sapphire
    new s4 chip - dual-core 64-bit
    fall detection - fall, trip and slip
    automatic sos call if inactive for 1 min
    new electrocardiogram sensor & app
    same 18-hour (all day?) battery life
    new finishes - stainless, gold stainless
    nike, hermes editions
    $399 usd for gps / $499 usd for cellular
    watchOS 5 available on september 17th

iPhone - XS, XS Max, XR

xs: 5.8 inch oled @ 458 ppi
    xs max: 6.5 inch oled @ 458 ppi
    gold, silver, space grey
    faster faceid
    new a12 bionic chip - 7nm
    6-core cpu, 4-core gpu, neural engine
    512gb storage option
    cameras: 12mp wide + 12mp tele
    improved true tone flash
    true depth selfie cam
    improved signal processing, smart hdr
    depth of field controls after capture
    stereo sound capture with video
    longer battery life, gigabit lte
    dual sim for china only (not india...?)
    sim + esim everywhere else (b/c carriers)
    more eco-friendly component materials
    apple giveback: will buy back old devices
    xr: 6.1 inch lcd "liquid retina" lcd @ 326 ppi
    a12 bionic, faceid
    no 3d touch; haptic touch instead
    white, black, blue, coral, yellow, red
    single 12mp wide-angle rear camera
    portrait mode from software
    true depth selfie cam
    longer battery life than 8 plus
    xr: 64 / 128 / 256gb, starts at $749 usd
    pre-order oct. 19th, ships oct. 26th
    xs: 64 / 256 / 512gb, starts at $999 usd
    xs max: 64 / 256 / 512gb, starts at $1099 usd
    pre-order this friday, ships next friday

Props to The Verge's live blog for helping me double-check the specs!
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Carrier(s)
    Just switched to Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Article: Apple's 2018 Watch & iPhone Event

Feedback Score
    Leaving behind those of us who prefer smaller phones. I see a ton of iPhone 6 and SE in the wild, and even many iPhone 5s. I can't imagine those folks moving to a much larger slab that costs $1000, but maybe I am wrong. On the other hand, Apple will have plenty of customers for their $1000 and up phones, so I suppose they don't really care about those who prefer smaller phones. At that price I would seriously consider getting a great small camera and carrying a cheaper, smaller phone. Could get both for less money.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    The size of these phones is getting ridiculous.

I have an iPhone 7 as my daily driver, but to get decent battery life I have an apple smart battery case. So the thing is just huge.

I still use my old iPhone 5S for playing music, that is still the most comfortable to hold.

I should get an SE before they become defunct but I do find that I use 3D touch a fair bit, would probably miss it if I went away from it.

Baja California / Baja California Sur / Sinaloa / D.F.
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8 / Netgear AC815S
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    So my only choice for a smartphone would be the XS if I didn't want to carry 6.1" or 6.5". I think 5.8" is a decent size for a smartphone, not too big, but big enough to entertain me and get work done. I think the 6.1" and 6.5" is overkill and too big to stuff in my jeans. The 8 Plus already feels tight on its own.

I'm likely switch out of the 8 Plus I have now for the XS so I can get the capability for the dual SIM.
    Finally a mass produced phone I can easily purchase and use it for both personal and work purposes, and can ditch the Samsung Galaxy S8!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How does the dual SIM even work ? So the phones come unlocked or what ? In the uS will carriers be forced to allow for reprogramming of phone?

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
    The size of these phones is getting ridiculous.

[snip]

I should get an SE before they become defunct but I do find that I use 3D touch a fair bit, would probably miss it if I went away from it.
    I love my SE; I had a 6 before that and thought it was too big (and hard to hold; apparently I'm a special case). I'm disappointed Apple is moving to these large slabs of glass and aluminum/ceramic/whatever.

However, I've noted that I'm often pulling my SE out of my pocket when I sit down (even with a fairly slim non-Otterbox-lilke case). I'm wary of leaving my phone in a back pocket (Bendgate?) and it's not comfortable to sit with the phone still in my side pocket (plus the hassle of getting it out of the pocket to check the time, notifications, etc.).

So if I'm pulling the phone out of my pocket and laying it down somewhere anyway, does it matter if my next phone is bigger (assuming it still fits into a pocket on the move)? Or am I just rationalizing Apple's move to more real estate?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveinmn View Post
    I love my SE; I had a 6 before that and thought it was too big (and hard to hold; apparently I'm a special case). I'm disappointed Apple is moving to these large slabs of glass and aluminum/ceramic/whatever.

However, I've noted that I'm often pulling my SE out of my pocket when I sit down (even with a fairly slim non-Otterbox-lilke case). I'm wary of leaving my phone in a back pocket (Bendgate?) and it's not comfortable to sit with the phone still in my side pocket (plus the hassle of getting it out of the pocket to check the time, notifications, etc.).

So if I'm pulling the phone out of my pocket and laying it down somewhere anyway, does it matter if my next phone is bigger (assuming it still fits into a pocket on the move)? Or am I just rationalizing Apple's move to more real estate?
    The se is probably my overall favorite iPhone. I'm not a big fan of bigger phones either. I still use a Droid mini here and there that's outdated but the size is right

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Essential PH-1, Nexus 6P, Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cell_Phone33 View Post
    How does the dual SIM even work ? So the phones come unlocked or what ? In the uS will carriers be forced to allow for reprogramming of phone?

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app
    If you buy the phone from a carrier, they will "lock" the phone to their network -- in that case it only works if both lines are on their network. Otherwise, if you buy the phone outright or, apparently, through the Apple Upgrade program you can have two SIM "cards" in the phone -- giving the phone two phone numbers.

The phone only has one SIM card slot, the other "SIM" is an eSIM. eSIM is supported by T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon. Those carriers can program the internal SIM card so it works like the current SIM card in your phone. Apparently one limitation is that you cannot have two CDMA SIM cards (Sprint & Verizon, as well as MVNO SIM cards on their network) on the phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    I've been thinking about the new iPhones for a bit, especially since there's a few common statements circulating here and other places.

- It stinks the SE got discontinued, but let's face it, most of the people buying the SE are often not cross-shopping with any current-gen iPhone (maybe a 6 or 6s). While moving to the 7 or 8 (next year or year after?) as the budget model, those aren't much bigger (I did go 5->6->SE and preferred the smaller size, but I think the SE sold just as much on price as size preference). While the cheapest iPhone went up by $100 (SE was $349, 7 is $449), Apple official refurb and carrier deals may negate that issue.
    - A lot of folks seem to think that the only other choice is the "$1000 iPhone" (makes for great headlines). Since last year, it seems the X and now Xs/Xs Max are a new higher-end, cutting-edge tier and the normal "new iPhone" is still in the $650-$800 price range. Imagine if last year, only the 8/8 Plus were introduced, the Xr would be a pretty logical replacement for those and still have a new CPU. It's not a downgraded prior-gen X, but a spiritual successor to the 8/8 Plus.
    - Despite having a bigger screen, the Xr is physically in between the 8 and 8 Plus, which furthers the argument that it's the replacement for the "normal" iPhone (it also is priced exactly between their prices).
    - The Xr also has the best battery life, which should be something that appeals to the masses.
    - At this point, the only ones left out are the ones who want something the exact size of a 6/6s/7/8 and can't do anything even a bit larger. I think they may adapt to the slightly larger Xr or save some money and get an 8.

A friend of mine suggested that the 6/6s/7/8 (and their Plus counterparts) and the Xr are kind of like a bread-and-butter family sedan and the X/Xs/Xs Max are the more expensive all-electric family sedan that was added to the lineup. Just because there's a higher-tier device, doesn't mean that the one below it isn't worth checking out.

It's really easy to fall into Apple vs. Android blah blah blah, and I think folks trying a new device if Apple isn't meeting their needs makes a lot of sense. I prefer iOS and will probably get whatever is in the Xr's place when it comes time to replace my 8 Plus, but I have several family members who only upgrade when a device is on its last legs and also picked up the SE due to price. At this point, there's still something for them when the time comes.

That being said, I really enjoyed the SE and am disappointed they didn't do a revised one (even cramming a larger screen in a similarly-sized enclosure), so everyone in this thread complaining about that, I feel ya. Looking around, it does seem that Android manufacturers have abandoned the really small phones long ago.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Essential PH-1, Nexus 6P, Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    - At this point, the only ones left out are the ones who want something the exact size of a 6/6s/7/8 and can't do anything even a bit larger. I think they may adapt to the slightly larger Xr or save some money and get an 8..
    My one issue here is that the new "small" phone is the Xs -- which is actually a bit smaller (though thicker, kind of like the SE), physically than the 6/6s/7/8, just with a larger screen. The only issue with it is that it is not a budget phone. Though, as you state, likely many who bought the SE didn't care as much about the size of the phone -- so they'll be happy with the iPhone 7.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    The size of the phone is not getting ridiculous, the iPhone Max is the same size of the 7+ and 8+, the screen size is just end to end without a bezel.
    Cheap calling cards now available! Click here!

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    My one issue here is that the new "small" phone is the Xs -- which is actually a bit smaller (though thicker, kind of like the SE), physically than the 6/6s/7/8, just with a larger screen. The only issue with it is that it is not a budget phone. Though, as you state, likely many who bought the SE didn't care as much about the size of the phone -- so they'll be happy with the iPhone 7.
    Yeah, that does set up a weird step in the lineup - here's the Xr and for $250 more, you get a smaller phone! It really feels like there should've been something else to fill out the low-end (Xr Minus? SE 2?). I wonder how many people on carrier payment plans will pay the extra couple of bucks per month to get an Xs only due to its size?

Feedback Score
    The Xs size is about the same as a 7 or 8, so OK, but the price is ridiculous. Not paying $1000 for a phone--sorry. I really like my wife's iPhone SE and she loves it. The loss of a headphone jack is a killer for her since she needs to plug into all sorts of audio devices without hassle. Apple is losing us as customers.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    The Xs size is about the same as a 7 or 8, so OK, but the price is ridiculous. Not paying $1000 for a phone--sorry. I really like my wife's iPhone SE and she loves it. The loss of a headphone jack is a killer for her since she needs to plug into all sorts of audio devices without hassle. Apple is losing us as customers.
    Yeah the se is probably my favorite iPhone