Thread: T-Mobile selling Layer3 TV service in select markets

Feedback Score

T-Mobile selling Layer3 TV service in select markets

Feedback Score
    pricing makes this a big ol' NOPE for me

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    pricing makes this a big ol' NOPE for me
    I agree. Directv now is cheaper and I only watch 8 channels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    "Does a TV service that offers more than 275 channels, on-demand 4K content, and DVR for $80 per month sound appealing to you?" Not particularly.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Price wise it would be hard to jump on this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    "Does a TV service that offers more than 275 channels, on-demand 4K content, and DVR for $80 per month sound appealing to you?" Not particularly.
    Probably not, but I am paying Cox $107 a month for I don't know how many channels, no 4K and no DVR. That is just the TV part. Internet is $53 more.

That is just full basic TV channels. The number of channels is similar, but like the poster above, I only watch about 10. Many of the channels are foreign language, local government, and many, many music channels. Channel count is pretty meaningless.

The only extra I have is for cablecard for ~$5 a month. That gets me three tuners with a HD Homerun box and DVR on my Windows Media Center PC. It also allows me to send live and recorded TV anywhere in the house over Wifi using cheap, old XBox 360s as Media Center extenders - like a set top box.

I don't plan to buy a 4K TV any time soon and probably would not be interested in anything they have on-demand. I have never watched anything on-demand on the cable services I have had.

I am about to switch to FIOS if they will work with the cablecard.

Feedback Score
    Based on this, Xfinity from Comcast looks better. I was paying around $36 the first year and around $56 this year. This price includes local channels , HBO subscription, and 60 Mbps Download and 5 Mbps upload Internet connection . The price is also after a discount of $2.75 for using Cable Card instead of Xfinity cable box.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindolam View Post
    Based on this, Xfinity from Comcast looks better. I was paying around $36 the first year and around $56 this year. This price includes local channels , HBO subscription, and 60 Mbps Download and 5 Mbps upload Internet connection . The price is also after a discount of $2.75 for using Cable Card instead of Xfinity cable box.
    Ha! Cox charges me $5 extra for cablecard and I have to use their "Tuning Adapter" that costs me dollars a month for the electric it uses. It think it has something to do with DRM. Otherwise, the HD Homerun and Xboxes are a great system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Ha! Cox charges me $5 extra for cablecard and I have to use their "Tuning Adapter" that costs me dollars a month for the electric it uses. It think it has something to do with DRM. Otherwise, the HD Homerun and Xboxes are a great system.
    I have to jump through several hoops. I use HDHomeRun and access the channels through HDHomeRun app on AndroidTV. But then I cannot access the DRM channels - most of HBO channels. HBO GO app for HBO subscribers through other providers does not work on AndroidTV for Xfinity. So, I have to use either FireTV or Roku to access HBOGO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindolam View Post
    I have to jump through several hoops. I use HDHomeRun and access the channels through HDHomeRun app on AndroidTV. But then I cannot access the DRM channels - most of HBO channels. HBO GO app for HBO subscribers through other providers does not work on AndroidTV for Xfinity. So, I have to use either FireTV or Roku to access HBOGO.
    The DRM channels work fine through the Xboxes. What you can't do is take a DVR recorded TV file and play it on another computer. What is copy protected is a confusing mess. CBS is or was, but NBC, ABC are not. Why EWTN is copy protected is a complete mystery. HBO I can understand.

I tried the HDHomerun with Kodi a couple of years age. It was very clunky to configure and use and wouldn't play any copy protected channels. Don't know if it is less clunky now.

The paradigm is shifting for media distribution at an accelerating rate. This T-Mo/Layer3 is another part of the shift. I expect that cable TV as we now know it will be gone in about ten years. Theoretically, I can stream some of my cable channels away from home. In practice it does not work at all reliably. Media distribution needs to converge into a unified platform that is reliable. My Roku is great for the few worthwhile channels they have. Most of the rest of their channel count is junk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Because of that tuning adapter I switched to FIOS. Was constantly messing up, I have replaced three of them in three months, and my wife couldn't take it anymore, we paid the penalty or early termination.
    The tuning adapter is used to cram more channels in the same bandwidth. Basically when you switch the channel your tuner asks the adapter (via USB) to relay that request upstream. Then the head end provides that channel on a free channel and informs the adapter where it is so it can be "translated" back to the normal channel that the DVR tuner expects. Because some viewers watch the same channels, the combined number of channels sent is lower than the total advertised as service.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched_video

But all that switching takes time, on FIOS the channel swap is instant. The Cable Card rental is $4.99/mo and no, you can't bring in your own one of those, even if they are for sale on eBay.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Because of that tuning adapter I switched to FIOS. Was constantly messing up, I have replaced three of them in three months, and my wife couldn't take it anymore, we paid the penalty or early termination.
    The tuning adapter is used to cram more channels in the same bandwidth. Basically when you switch the channel your tuner asks the adapter (via USB) to relay that request upstream. Then the head end provides that channel on a free channel and informs the adapter where it is so it can be "translated" back to the normal channel that the DVR tuner expects. Because some viewers watch the same channels, the combined number of channels sent is lower than the total advertised as service.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched_video

But all that switching takes time, on FIOS the channel swap is instant. The Cable Card rental is $4.99/mo and no, you can't bring in your own one of those, even if they are for sale on eBay.
    I have to power cycle everything every month or two when it loses its mind. I don't know for sure that it is the TA. I just reset everything.

Are you saying that you have a Cablecard system with HDHomerun on Verizon FIOS and it works well? I am very interested. My COX cable with those is pretty reliable and channel changes are fast enough, like a second. The COX cable Internet is a different story. It's about as reliable as a hormonal pot-head teenager.

Feedback Score
    Yes, that's what I have, with Prime (3 FIOS cable channels) and a Quatro (4 over the air channels).
    I had to use epg123/SD instead of the "free" MS provided one, because it was getting bad. For $25/yr SD, is not bad at all.

PS: Right now FIOS has a great offer for triple play with Gigabit Internet and Custom TV. I hate I can't get that. They offer me to upgrade my 100MB to Giga for $5 extra, I might just do that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Yes, that's what I have, with Prime (3 FIOS cable channels) and a Quatro (4 over the air channels).
    I had to use epg123/SD instead of the "free" MS provided one, because it was getting bad. For $25/yr SD, is not bad at all.

PS: Right now FIOS has a great offer for triple play with Gigabit Internet and Custom TV. I hate I can't get that. They offer me to upgrade my 100MB to Giga for $5 extra, I might just do that.
    Interesting, thank you. I have the original HDHomerun that has the COX Cablecard stuck in it. No OTA here without a big outdoor antenna with a rotator.

Aside from the $5 Cablecard does Verizon FIOS charge differently for Cablecard service? I wonder if I can get FIOS Cablecard service for the $60 a month first year triple-play. I need landline service too. The copper quit working months ago and they refuse to repair it. I must switch to FIOS.

I'm running my landline with an Obi over the Cox Internet which works ok most of the time, but I'm not sure I trust the Callcentric 911 service with my life. Cell doesn't have enough signal here to be reliable for 911. Also, I tried a cell call to 911 a while ago. It connected to the 911 center in the next county over. That does not exactly inspire confidence.

How do you get your FIOS TV around the house? Are you using Windows Media Center and Xbox or other extender?

How does the epg123/SD tie in with the system? I get epg with Win Media Center.

I need to get off my butt and contact Verizon.