Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Service End Date expiring soon - buckets OK – how best to proceed?

Feedback Score

Service End Date expiring soon - buckets OK – how best to proceed?

Expiry is early October.

I do know that $50 buys me another year at the TF website. I checked yesterday, put a cheap smartphone card in the cart, got the $50 add-on offer for a year’s extension, removed the cheap card from the cart, $50 add-on offer remained in cart, totalled with tax; however, I didn’t pull the trigger because I’m hoping a great bundle appears online in the next 10 days. . . .

(Yes, indeed, I wish my expiration date was early December so that I could see the Black Friday deals. Oh well.)

Instead, is there another way to get extra time on TF – such as sim swapping and getting extra time?

Such glitches do happen, true?

My phone is a Verizon Moto E4, unlocked via eBay code back when that was possible, and I assume that I’ve still got Triple Minutes for Life.

So perhaps, if I understand correctly (NOT a given ;-), I could sim-swap CDMA for GSM (or vice versa, not certain which I’m using – both ATT and Verizon are good hereabouts) and hope for a time extension for free?

Then, if no glitch on expiry and no worthwhile bundle, do the $50 TF order before expiry?

(BTW, I’ve got lots and lots of sim cards from the Family Dollar bonanza.)

OK, so the sim swap from GSM to CDMA should be done via chat, with buckets documented in the chat before said swap?

Any advice on this plan – or another, better plan - will be much appreciated!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On Ebay, there are several phone bundles sold directly by Tracfone LIKE THIS with 1-yr 1200/1200/1200 for $49.99. Buy it, use Chat to activate the phone with a transfer from your current phone. As for TMFL, there's info in some other threads that TF is currently giving TMFL benefit to all "smartphone upgrades". After activation/transfer, go to TF web site, go through the process of buying airtime to see what you get offered for that phone number. If it offers both smartphone cards and PAYGO cards, then you have TMFL.

If you like the new phone, keep using it. If you don't like the new phone, swap the SIM into your Moto E4. If the new phone doesn't get TMFL and you really want TMFL, transfer service to a BYOP GSM SIM from an old kit that has TMFL.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chazz101s View Post
    ...Instead, is there another way to get extra time on TF – such as sim swapping and getting extra time?

Such glitches do happen, true?...
    Such glitches also happen where they lose your units. It has happened to me. It can be beyond tedious to get them back.

I did hit the glitch jackpot big one time. When I transferred from an AT&T SIM to Verizon they multiplied my data by 1024! Whatever, I still only use a few hundred MB a year.

The other deal mentioned sounds much better.

Based on history, it is very unlikely that there is going to be some spectacular deal. Carlos Slim has Democratic candidates to support with his billions. ;~>

Something like the $100, 1 year, 400 unit card for 5%-10% off, maybe.

I got 23 of the Fambly Dollar kits. Now that's a deal! It was worth the dirty looks and sarcasm I got from the cashiers.

So what was that? 23x90=5.6 years service and 6,210 triple bucket service units for $36. (Va charges 50 cents for e911 on all prepaid purchases)

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Why not just buy a 90 day paygo with whatever dollar amount you prefer?? That will get you into the first of Dec, past Black Friday.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    Why not just buy a 90 day paygo with whatever dollar amount you prefer?? That will get you into the first of Dec, past Black Friday.
    Now that is an idea that I had not thought of. Thank you, gmannix.

Best choice, it seems, to get me to and past Black Friday would be this:

$25.00
    60 SERVICE DAYS

AIRTIME FOR YOUR PHONE:

MINUTES

TEXTS

MB DATA

I will have to mull that one. (Way easier, of course, than buying a phone that I won't use to harvest the buckets and extra year. But a whole year has its own appeal. . . .)

Drat. No easy decisions.

Thanks also go to hpham and bobdevnul. Glad for the warning about sim-swapping could go the wrong way.

Thanks too for the ebay link. I often forget about ebay and focus instead on QVC and Hsomething. (See how quickly this stuff evaporates for me? The guidance of y'all is much appreciated!)

Anybody else with strategies I should consider?

Thanks again, guys.

Feedback Score
    Best choice, it seems, to get me to and past Black Friday would be this:

$25.00
    60 SERVICE DAYS

AIRTIME FOR YOUR PHONE:

MINUTES

TEXTS

MB DATA
    Whoops. Using hpham's kind link, I see this deal at TF on ebay for $19.99, which beats the one I highlighted above:

Tracfone 60 Minute Plan - 90 Days/60 Minutes/60 Text/60MB Data

Fun and games with TF, no?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Whoops. Using hpham's kind link, I see this deal at TF on ebay for $19.99, which beats the one I highlighted above:

Tracfone 60 Minute Plan - 90 Days/60 Minutes/60 Text/60MB Data
    That 60-minute card has been around since the beginning of Tracfone. Add it to your phone with TMFL and gets 180/180/180. The 90 days is more important to you though.

Feedback Score
    ...Fun and games with TF, no?
    There is always a chance of an adventure any time changes are made to a TF account, and not always in a good way.

That said, I have used them since 2003 - warts and all. I have never had problems that were major to me. One time transferring to a new phone they lost my phone number. Some people would lose their mind over that. I don't really care. Only three people have my cell number. I don't even know what the number is without looking in contacts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    That 60-minute card has been around since the beginning of Tracfone. Add it to your phone with TMFL and gets 180/180/180. The 90 days is more important to you though.
    Plus use a promo code and get an additional 60 minutes.

Feedback Score

My phone is a Verizon Moto E4, unlocked via eBay code back when that was possible, and I assume that I’ve still got Triple Minutes for Life.
    Aside from ways to "buy some time", it would be useful to know what is the status of the Moto E4. Does it have an activated GSM SIM, or a CDMA SIM that was swapped in from another activated TracFone? You can't directly activate a TracFone CDMA SIM in a Verizon prepaid phone. But you can activate a GSM SIM because it needs no phone identification. In the Moto the carrier should be in Settings > Status > SIM status > Network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Aside from ways to "buy some time", it would be useful to know what is the status of the Moto E4. Does it have an activated GSM SIM, or a CDMA SIM that was swapped in from another activated TracFone? You can't directly activate a TracFone CDMA SIM in a Verizon prepaid phone. But you can activate a GSM SIM because it needs no phone identification. In the Moto the carrier should be in Settings > Status > SIM status > Network.
    Great idea and thank you, loboheeler, for the easy-to-follow instructions. (However, to get to Status, I did have to tap "About Phone.")

It shows:

Network
    Home

I suppose that's not very helpful.

SIM in my E4 is a GSM nano sim that came with the E4 (*not* a SIM obtained during the Family Dollar bonanza, as I had incorrectly assumed before I just now got into the back of the E4).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    SIM in my E4 is a GSM nano sim that came with the E4
    If your E4 is a Verizon E4 (as stated in post #1), then it came with a Verizon Prepaid CDMA SIM, not a GSM SIM.

Feedback Score
    SIM in my E4 is a GSM nano sim that came with the E4 (*not* a SIM obtained during the Family Dollar bonanza, as I had incorrectly assumed before I just now got into the back of the E4).
    We need to identify the SIM by ID number then. Either look at it, or find it in Settings > About phone > Status > IMEI information > ICCID.
    The first six numbers of the ID determine the carrier: 890126 = T-Mobile, 890141 = AT&T, 891480 = Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    We need to identify the SIM by ID number then. Either look at it, or find it in Settings > About phone > Status > IMEI information > ICCID.
    The first six numbers of the ID determine the carrier: 890126 = T-Mobile, 890141 = AT&T, 891480 = Verizon.
    I'm pretty sure that my SIM came with the E4 because I also have another nano SIM card missing its nano and that is in my wife's E4. (I bought these two E4s at a local Walmart after driving miles and miles and finding none at Family Dollar stores, which were selling 'em for $29/each. At Walmart, they were $39/each.)

Anyway, the SIM in my E4: 8901 4104 xxxx yyyy

Feedback Score
    Anyway, the SIM in my E4: 8901 4104 xxxx yyyy
    Well, whoops again. (See a pattern here? Sorry 'bout that.)

I should've written - the SIM in my E4: 8901 4104 xxxx yyyy zzzz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast