Thread: "Another milestone reached" - now no eSim support

Device(s)
    A640
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

"Another milestone reached" - now no eSim support

Seem like the only one United States major cell phone carrier who don't support eSim in iPnone x.. - guess who..?
    No Volte still., now no eSim support. Ridiculous to say the least.

p.s iPhone Xs can support dual sim configuration - one physical and second eSim (2 numbers on single device)
    Last edited by Ymmy; 09-14-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Feedback Score

"Another milestone reached" - now no eSim support

Are you genuinely surprised??

We’re talking about Sprint here, the carrier who can’t even figure out how to implement one universal SIM card.

How do you expect them to figure out something like eSIM?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTE_A View Post
    Are you genuinely surprised??

We’re talking about Sprint here, the carrier who can’t even figure out how to implement one universal SIM card.

How do you expect them to figure out something like eSIM?
    They have esim working on there ipads so this is no excuse.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Any
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ymmy View Post
    Seem like the only one United States major cell phone carrier who don't support eSim in iPnone x.. - guess who..?
    No Volte still., now no eSim support. Ridiculous to say the least.
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Platform-North

Sprint will support it. They support it right now on the watches.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJoe View Post
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Platform-North

Sprint will support it. They support it right now on the watches.
    What's the time frame though? This is Sprint...

Feedback Score
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/363760/sp...rt-apples-esim

"That's just an accident of timing, Sprint CTO John Saw told us at Mobile World Congress Americas.
    We will be [in the eSIM], Saw said, although he didn't want to go on the record with a specific date."

Apple did not give a specific date either: "Apple's eSIM will not be enabled when the iPhone XS launches; it will come later this year, Apple says."

Others do not have all the details either:

"Verizon, for instance, confirmed that all of its mainstream service plans will be available on the eSIM; AT&T and T-Mobile said they'd have to get back to me."

Not that I think that every carrier should have to bow to every Apple whim instantly anyway, even when Apple's idea is good.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-14-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    eSIM is a real threat to Sprint, and really any MNO. It means that people will probably flock to MVNOs that can support it (none currently, because their MNO partners have to give approval) to pay less to be on the same network.

I hope this Apple thing forces their hand, and not just because my employer wants a sweet piece of that eSIM pie.

Feedback Score
    I thought eSIMs will stifle MVNOs. No?
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 09.25.18

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't get the HUGE thing about eSIM. It's nice, sure, but it seems to just be simplifying a phone design and not really fixing any other underlying issue.

Phones will still come locked. So you can't just call up Bob's MVNO and his 2 bit operation and say "GIMMIE SERVICE!!".

I'm sure Sprint and VZW are still doing whitelisting, so if you don't own a device they've deemed worthy or they are slow to upload their database, you're outta luck.

I mean, just scan an QR code and off you go. I have to get the code, it isn't like I can just draw one on the back of my note card. Or you have to use the app and go through it that way - so you'd have to have wifi and go through a full set up process anyway.

This didn't unshackle us from the 4 carriers. It may make a few things easier but they weren't HUGE pain points as it was. I guess the best i can do in the future is remove the SIM tray and make phones more air tight and less points of failure - which I'm for but it isn't like the second coming of Christ for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    I don't get the HUGE thing about eSIM. It's nice, sure, but it seems to just be simplifying a phone design and not really fixing any other underlying issue.

Phones will still come locked. So you can't just call up Bob's MVNO and his 2 bit operation and say "GIMMIE SERVICE!!".

I'm sure Sprint and VZW are still doing whitelisting, so if you don't own a device they've deemed worthy or they are slow to upload their database, you're outta luck.

I mean, just scan an QR code and off you go. I have to get the code, it isn't like I can just draw one on the back of my note card. Or you have to use the app and go through it that way - so you'd have to have wifi and go through a full set up process anyway.

This didn't unshackle us from the 4 carriers. It may make a few things easier but they weren't HUGE pain points as it was. I guess the best i can do in the future is remove the SIM tray and make phones more air tight and less points of failure - which I'm for but it isn't like the second coming of Christ for it.
    Agreed. I think it's useless at best.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I thought eSIMs will stifle MVNOs. No?
    How so? Removing the need to acquire a physical sim would seem to eliminate a pain point in changing providers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    How so? Removing the need to acquire a physical sim would seem to eliminate a pain point in changing providers.
    I supposing something like this:

Dear Customer,
    To use XYZ cellular you must have a XYZ SIM which is specifically programmed for XYZ cellular.

Baja California / Baja California Sur / Sinaloa / D.F.
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8 / Netgear AC815S
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post

If you read all the articles about eSIM, the benefits are mainly towards people like myself who carry two or three phones and/or travel internationally a lot .Carrying more than one phone is cumbersome and annoying and playing the repetitive SIM swap game gets old after awhile. Carrying more than one phone is just more stuff you deal with and easier to lose track of if you always (or almost) "on the go" but let's face it, people do carry more than phone around..one for work and one for personal use. If you don't need to carry more than one phone on a daily basis or don't travel internationally frequently then you are correct, you won't see the benefits of eSIM.

The rest of us, who have more than one number and/or travel internationally frequently will be happy to end this maddness.

Even then going to the nearest carrier store is still a chore and a waste of time..
    I just scan the QR code or use the carrier app and I get a new "SIM", and use my time elsewhere.

This didn't unshackle us from the 4 carriers.
    That's why I don't do installments or payment plans...
    When you do this, you get a device that's shackled to the carrier.
    I pay up front at the Apple Store (or buy unlocked in the first place) and nobody tells me how what SIM card I can use. I decide what provider I will use, and when I use it...all AT&T, Verizon Wireless etc..does is provide me service. If I don't like their service or think its crap, I walk and owe them NOTHING for the device.

I don't want AT&T, Verizon Wireless etc...telling me that I can only use this phone with their service, even if I travel internationally. In the end, I want to walk into a carrier store (or just read the QR code) in any country with my UNLOCKED device and say "GIMMIE SERVICE".
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 09-15-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    This really just seems like the carriers were able to game 3GPP to get a system like the CDMA carriers always enjoyed with MEIDs baked into the phone...

I mean what’s so different with this other than the carriers know the public isn’t dumb enough to buy the “it’s only compatible with our network” line like they used to so if it’s compatible they should activate it (back then Cricket was the only provider who would activate CDMA phones other than their own, and USCC sometimes) — but a SIM baked into a phone seems the same as an MEID baked into a phone...

It just feels like a step backwards:
    —Your back to having to contact the provider to do device swaps
    —The provider has ultimate control over said device swaps; once eSim goes mainstream we’re right back to “this device isn’t compatible with your plan”
    —It’s not just a matter of popping one sim out and putting it in a new phone
    —This then becomes easy enough for the carriers to charge swapping fees etc... once one of them starts the others would follow.
    —Will you be able to keep multiple plans with multiple lines and swap your device between them without needing a “donor phone” it swap your SIM between different phones easily?

I’m just trying to figure out how it’s much different than MEIDs before — remember, most CDMA devices were compatible with other CDMA carriers — it was the carriers who made up the whole BS of them being different. Aside from a more “enlightened public”, I just don’t see the benefits... especially if we’re going from 4 to 3 major carriers; this puts more control on them.

Feedback Score
    Hope this sticks to iphone only. This is not for the betterment of the consumer.