Thread: Freedompop: do this if your outgoing calls fail

Feedback Score

Freedompop: do this if your outgoing calls fail

As we know, Freedompop Messaging App (that used also for voice calls) is not very reliable. It is related to the fact that it is slow and sometimes fails to intercept dialing number and, as result of this, to dial while dialing phone number.

You can add more reliability to this app and to make your user experience better with Freedompop phones (and any phone that uses Freedompop Nessaging App) using following:

1. Enable Developer options.
    2. In Developer options, set

- Window animation scale to Animation OFF
    - Transition animation scale to Animation OFF
    - Animator duration scale to Animation OFF

Feedback Score
    Mine were all set to "x1." I just set them all to "off" to see what happens.

What on earth do these graphics settings have to do with what is essentially a VoIP app (Linphone)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post

What on earth do these graphics settings have to do with what is essentially a VoIP app (Linphone)?
    On my ZTE Prestige 2, FP App just was too slow to intercept the number diallied via dialler or from contacts.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    On my ZTE Prestige 2, FP App just was too slow to intercept the number diallied via dialler or from contacts.
    Have you had any trouble since adjusting the settings as you described?
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post

All that graphics animation uses CPU time and may get in the way of the FP app functioning correctly.

I tried the changes on my ZTE Maven which is not much of a phone. The changes did not make my phone work reliably for outgoing calls initiated from contacts or the FP app dialpad. Whatever, that phone is no where close to being my primary phone.

I thought I had seen that the FP app is a customized version of CSIPSimple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    All that graphics animation uses CPU time and may get in the way of the FP app functioning correctly.
    Even after the changes my FP app crashes regularly. I don't see anything changed for the better

I do actually use the FP app because my personal experience is that (when it's not crashing) it actually receives calls better than hangouts. But that ain't saying much... In my case the FP DID is a forward-to number for Google Voice or some of my PBX forked-call shenanigans.

On your phone go to Settings>apps>running apps. Open the FP Messenger running app (I actually usually see 2. Open the bigger one). You will see a reference to "LinphoneService." That's why I said what I did. To test, I just fired up CSipSimple and looked at it from Settings>apps>running apps. No reference to Linphone...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Have you had any trouble since adjusting the settings as you described?
    No issues on my ZTE Prestige 2

I tried the changes on my ZTE Maven which is not much of a phone. The changes did not make my phone work reliably for outgoing calls initiated from contacts or the FP app dialpad. Whatever, that phone is no where close to being my primary phone.

ZTE Maven is too old and too slow to work with Freedpmpop Messaging App regardless of settings. But you can try Acrobits. See

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...eepbx-asterisk

We know that FP Messaging App is buggy, non-reliable, eats cellular data and battery. There is a way to use FP for voice calls (without SMS/text) on smartphones without using FP Messaging App.

1. Obtain Freedompop SIP Credential as described in this topic.
    2. Buy Android/IPhone version of Acrobits Softphone ($6). This SIP softphone support push notification by importing SIP credentials to Acrobits servers.
    3. Configure new account on Acrobits Soft Phone using FP SIP credentials and set push notification in configuration. At this point you will be able to place and receive phone calls using your FP account and phone number. Battery usage of Acrobits Soft Phone is close to zero because of push notification support.

Note: exactly same approach can be applied to use Pinger and Textfree with Acrobits softphone.
    Last edited by RFK; Today at 04:44 PM.

Feedback Score
    No issues on my ZTE Prestige 2

ZTE Maven is too old and too slow to work with Freedpmpop Messaging App regardless of settings. But yoy can try Acrobits. See ...
    Nah, there is something incompatible about the Maven. The FP app works fine on other older, slower, more pathetic phones including an Alcatel Ideal and a LG Mach. Except they updated the app on the Mach with one that is not compatible with Android 4.0.x so it no longer works.

Dosen't matter though. I don't use any of them for calls. I have real phone service on other phones for something that important.

I have been using Pinger/Textfree for years. Their app works fine. Well, the contacts feature is weak. I use the Pinger number as my Loser Line. Anyone I don't want to have my real cell number gets that one. It's set to go straight to voicemail. I have accumulated 8,000+ free minutes over the years from watching their stupid ads.

Feedback Score
    FP Messaging App is not usable (very slow, misses incoming calls etc.) on Android 4.x.x
    Same app on Android 5.x, in addition to slowness and missed calls, has another issue: it consumes battery like crazy.
    On Android 6, I do not see excessive battery consumption, bit it is still very buggy.

So, at least, disable animation on Android 6 to speed up your phone (or use Acrobits if you want to make and receive phone calls and you do not care of text messages).