Thread: Att iPhone unlocking

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Att iPhone unlocking

I’m going thru the process of unlocking all 4 iPhones Incase I decide to go to tmobile. I do the unlock request and all that. I get the email that says if using a non att sim then just swap sims. If using an att sim then backup phone , restore and you’re set. But I’m not switching right now. So do I still need to backup/restore iPhone to be unlocked?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberman View Post
    I’m going thru the process of unlocking all 4 iPhones Incase I decide to go to tmobile. I do the unlock request and all that. I get the email that says if using a non att sim then just swap sims. If using an att sim then backup phone , restore and you’re set. But I’m not switching right now. So do I still need to backup/restore iPhone to be unlocked?
    The phone is "unlocked". But by backing up/restoring, or putting in a non-ATT card, you can get immediate confirmation.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    do the iphones need to be paid in full before they can be unlocked ??

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Yes. And ATT has the added proviso that, if you get it on a new account, you can't do it for 60 days even if paid off before then.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Do i need to get the phone unlocked if i go to Cricket wireless?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberman View Post
    Do i need to get the phone unlocked if i go to Cricket wireless?
    no, AT&T phones will work fine on cricket wireless. however cricket branded phones are locked to cricket.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    no, AT&T phones will work fine on cricket wireless. however cricket branded phones are locked to cricket.
    Ok good, i need to buy a newer iphone for the wife so i wondered if i needed to find an unlocked or att one. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Get one from sams club or Best Buy and activate it with a Verizon sim (doesn’t have to be active) before you put in att sim. iPhone will be unlocked regardless of whether it’s on payments etc.

2 things it was being said Verizon was going to start locking phones again in the spring so make sure that did not happen and make sure (via model number ) it’s a US reseller version phone which I think should be any phone a 3rd party is selling (not a carrier or Apple)