Feedback Score

Call Quality Issues - Both 4G and VoLTE - Good Signal and Speeds

Carrier: AT&T
    Carrier Plan: AT&T Business Unlimited

Device: Apple iPhone X (Qualcomm Modem)
    Device OS: iOS v11.4.1

US Geographic Region: West, Midwest, South, and South West

Summary:
    I have spent the last 3 months driving across the U.S. geographic regions listed above. I have been in Craig, CO and Des Moines, IA. I have travelled from Detroit to Denver and Phoenix to Amarillo. I have also been in Moab and Sedona; and a lot of other small rural areas. Having AT&T as my carrier was quite an impressive experience. It was rare that I did not have LTE, or 4G. I did have E a few times, and no service in parts of Utah and other areas I do not recall. When LTE was available the average speed test, using OpenSignal, was faster than I thought I would get. AT&T has certainly taken advantage of their spectrum depth. In parts of Phoenix I have hit 180Mbps on downloads, and in some of the most remote places, where I had LTE, speeds of 50Mpbs were the norm. I have definitely changed my mind about AT&T. The last time I was their customer was when the first iPhone came out. I dropped 3 consecutive calls and lost a $10,000 contract. Soon after I left for Verizon, and up until 1 year ago I was with T-Mobile. I will save the details on why I have switched back to AT&T for another discussion.

Otherwise, however, voice quality on VoLTE and 4G left something to be desired. Transitioning from VoLTE to 4G did occur on several occasions, and I would say 1-in-every-8 calls would drop, which is too high in my opinion - especially for business. Additionally, when LTE was available, and calls connected on VoLTE, there would be periods where the other person could not hear me, and I could not hear them. For instance, often times the other party would just plain tell me they could not here me or I sounded garbled. After this, I would often run a speed-test and easily get in the mid-to-high 30Mbps range, which created confusion as to why my voice calls were not good.

As a result, it made me think about how call quality is measured and prioritized on the AT&T network. In addition, it made me research a little more on voice quality and I came up with a few interesting articles on eNodeB and a codec called EVS Codec for LTE, published by 3GPP. Now it is my understanding T-Mobile have implemented this on HSPA+ and, as part of a natural evolution, has made its way onto their nationwide LTE network. Ironically, I had T-Mobile this time last year and always noted it for its exceptional call quality, and reliability. Even in places like Conifer, CO where I had Band 12 VoLTE and impressive download speeds. It should be noted there are discussions about EVS on Verizon, however nothing definitive, or even in the public domain. Could this be because of their legacy CDMA network? From my understanding EVS seems like something every network operator would want to implement, especially given the size of the US. What else could prevent Verizon, or AT&T, from implementing this feature? Power draw? Increased bandwidth? The last reason being some what of a head scratcher since AT&T has the most spectrum per capita of the Big 4.

p.s. It should be noted that when I called an AT&T or Verizon subscriber, and I was getting a good connection on VoLTE, the call quality was good. However, it was still not as good as what I experienced on T-Mobile to another, or non, T-Mobile Customer.

Question 1:
    Is AT&T using EVS Codec on their eNodeB?

Question 1a:
    Do you think Apple would have disabled this in their firmware because of the Intel versus Qualcomm specification differences, even though I am using the Qualcomm model as a reminder.

Question 2:
    If I recall correctly, voice and data, since they are on an IP-based system, are essentially the same on LTE, if I am wrong please correct me. If this is the case, then how are the data qualified... meaning how would they measure call quality, or data quality for that matter?

Question 3:
    If question 2 above is correct, and I realize we are skipping over a lot of technical details, then why would the call quality leaving something to be desired if I have both a strong LTE signal, and relative speeds?

I am embarking on a busy few months where I will need to rely on my phone heavily, including the ability to have quality and reliable phone calls. I would estimate I am going to be on my phone more than 3500 minutes per month, for the next 3 months. These call will take place from the regions I mentioned above, and will include both rural and metropolitan areas. I will be both in my truck as well as restaurants and hotel rooms.

What advice can the forum offer? Additionally, if I switch back to T-Mobile do you think I can make it in these regions with reliable and quality calls? What about using a VoIP provider (i.e. Vonage) and just use the AT&T data network, since my experience says if I had to choose a carrier on spectrum depth, speed, and availability, then I would choose AT&T - just not for voice calls.

p.s. As a note the phone has been reset and tried with another carrier - for this discussion I will presume the iPhone X is fully functional.

Thank you in advance,

GSM.6

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

It’s possible it could just be the iPhone having the voice quality issue. I’ve seen numerous complaints about voice quality since the iPhone 7 with the very same symptoms you’re describing. I really considered getting a iPhone 7 earlier this year but all the complaints of audio problems scared me away. Then later in the year the whole “loop disease” issue with the audio ic came to light and I knew I made the right decision by sticking with what I have. I have even considered getting the new xr but I’m gonna take the wait and see approach. I can tell you in the 2 years I have had my galaxy S7 and iPhone SE on AT&T I’ve never had anybody complain about voice quality (and I talk alot) unless I was driving through a area with weak signal and I’m talking down to -130dbm.

This would be worth taking a look at
    http://piunikaweb.com/2018/02/19/tho...-during-calls/

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I agree, it's likely a phone issue. The worst sounding calls I get are from my sister on her ATT iPhone X. Intermittent garbled, echoed, broken audio are annoyingly common. No dropped calls though.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

VOLTE quality has been excellent on my 6S plus, even UMTS 4G voice quality is actually quite good. I’m also curious to see how the new iPhones stack up when it comes to voice quality. I guess time will tell.
    Last edited by DRC72; 09-16-2018 at 04:30 PM.
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    It's the stupid perfect iphone. Whichever way you want to look at it.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 09.25.18

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I haven’t had issues on my iPhone either. I heard that it was the Intel models having these issues, I remember a post on reddit about someone switching to the Qualcomm version on T-Mobile and stopped having issues.

Device(s)
    Galaxy A8
    Feedback Score
    If it is not working well, whom are you going to complain to? Apple or Intel?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I haven’t had issues on my iPhone either. I heard that it was the Intel models having these issues, I remember a post on reddit about someone switching to the Qualcomm version on T-Mobile and stopped having issues.
    Can’t speak for the 8 or X but the 7 actually had more issues with the Qualcomm modems cause they had a weak spot on he board. The intel obviously does do worse with data speeds and a weak signal.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-of-NC View Post
    Can’t speak for the 8 or X but the 7 actually had more issues with the Qualcomm modems cause they had a weak spot on he board. The intel obviously does do worse with data speeds and a weak signal.

We drove through the center of the state of FL (middle of nowhere) was Friday night with 3 iPhone 7 Plus phones on T-Mobile. Mine is the unlocked Qualcomm variant my sons’ both have intel versions. Both their phones held LTE longer and recovered from no service quicker than mine. It’s not scientific but my real world experience says the intel version is better.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    We drove through the center of the state of FL (middle of nowhere) was Friday night with 3 iPhone 7 Plus phones on T-Mobile. Mine is the unlocked Qualcomm variant my sons’ both have intel versions. Both their phones held LTE longer and recovered from no service quicker than mine. It’s not scientific but my real world experience says the intel version is better.

I have noticed that too on a iPhone 7 that belongs to someone I know with a intel modem. I should of worded that better. What I meant to say is the iPhone 7 with a Qualcomm modem was shown to provide better data speeds with a weak signal than the intel version. If the intel will hold a signal better I’d give up any data speed advantage having a signal is more important to me.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-of-NC View Post
    If the intel will hold a signal better I’d give up any data speed advantage having a signal is more important to me.HoFo
    I agree 100%