Views: 780
Size:  51.0 KB
    Name:  iphonexrwhitecoral.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  52.0 KB
    Name:  iphonexrblueyellow.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  55.8 KB

Looking for a new lower cost alternative to the super expensive iPhone XS / XS Max devices? Look no further. The iPhone XR has you covered.

Features include: 6.1-inch Liquid Retina LCD Display with a 1792x828 resolution, Tap to Wake, True Tone and Haptic Touch. It sports the A12 Bionic processor just like it's more expensive cousin with a 6-core CPU with two high performance cores and four efficiency ones. Due to software improvements Face ID works faster as well.

It comes with a single 12 MP wide angle camera with OIS (f/1.8 aperture), smart HDR and better low light performance.

The phone is rounded out with an anodized aluminum band, IP67 water and dust resistance plus better batter life than the iPhone 8 Plus. And it has Dual SIM technology included via a software update.

Pre-orders start October 19th and the phone goes on sales on October 26th. It comes in six colors: white, black, blue, yellow, coral, and red. It supports all modern LTE bands including Band's 14 and 71. Pricing will start at $749 for the 64GB version, $799 for the 128GB version and $899 for the 256GB model.

https://www.tmonews.com/2018/09/ipho...rice-t-mobile/
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Phone
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Despite not having an OLED screen and lack of 4x4 MIMO (LTE) does anyone think the price point will be a hit?

Carrier
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Despite not having an OLED screen and lack of 4x4 MIMO (LTE) does anyone think the price point will be a hit?
    I think it's good to have a slightly more affordable option

I'm disappointed there's no se 2. I really like the se style

I might want one of the new iphones though
    Last edited by themanhimself; 09-16-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Phone
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Right. With the lower price points (lower monthly payments) and plethora of color choices I can see many users financing/leasing these at $0 down.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Absolutely.

It will appeal to a lot of iPhone users who have been waiting to upgrade to the "next gen" X-style phone, but have been scared off by the X/Xs pricing.

Only hardware geeks will worry about the LCD screen/lower pixel density, MIMO, and RAM. 3D Touch was a too-hard-to-discover feature for the average user and DOA. The single sensor camera might be more of a concern, but can still do portrait composition through software, and it still ought to be very good.

Otherwise, it looks just like the X/Xs, comes in different colors, and splits the different in size between the Xs and Max.

As a user who's getting ready to retire a 6+ and was looking to go smaller the Xs, the Xr is still very tempting. I'm looking forward to comparing the two side-by-side next month before deciding.

Of course, it won't help the devotees of smaller phones like the SE, but the question is whether Apple thinks the business case for that segment is large enough for it to continue. Like Ford, it may very well decide that it isn't and stop offering cars when most want SUVs.

Feedback Score
    It's apple so they could sell sos & it'd sell specially with the word iphone.

The only product I think apple fibbing about is the iwatch. I believe since the 1st version apple has crushed hundreds of thousands of unsold iwatches.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIntruder View Post
    Absolutely.

It will appeal to a lot of iPhone users who have been waiting to upgrade to the "next gen" X-style phone, but have been scared off by the X/Xs pricing.

Only hardware geeks will worry about the LCD screen/lower pixel density, MIMO, and RAM. 3D Touch was a too-hard-to-discover feature for the average user and DOA. The single sensor camera might be more of a concern, but can still do portrait composition through software, and it still ought to be very good.

Otherwise, it looks just like the X/Xs, comes in different colors, and splits the different in size between the Xs and Max.

As a user who's getting ready to retire a 6+ and was looking to go smaller the Xs, the Xr is still very tempting. I'm looking forward to comparing the two side-by-side next month before deciding.

Of course, it won't help the devotees of smaller phones like the SE, but the question is whether Apple thinks the business case for that segment is large enough for it to continue. Like Ford, it may very well decide that it isn't and stop offering cars when most want SUVs.
    I thought it would be a hit, until I saw the pricing. It's $750 for a barely over 720p screen. Yes, there are people who strictly go with screen size and nothing else, but most folks can clearly see a difference between a regular LCD and the well made and tuned OLED panels. I just feel the LCD didn't need to be edged displayed for the 'base' model and nothing is gained because it's clearly not as close to the edge as the OLED ones are. And the panel is one of if not the most expensive part.

Really the only other big one is the cameras and a few pre-review notes on it show it's blowing even the X out of the water. And the sad thing is, the Xr has the capability on the CPU/co-processor side to handle pictures but without the extra hardware it'll be ehh. And is the lens the same as the XS line - I don't recall.

I just feel a $250 difference at that range isn't impulse changing. If I'm buying a $1,000 laptop or a $750 one, I'm doing massive research and will extend the budget if I'd gain much better screens or much better capabilities (Picture taking which people almost solely do on their phones now).

Given the 7+ and 8+ are cheaper now, with the same screen tech, and actually have 2 lenses, I'd be hard pressed to recommend the Xr. Either truly save and get a previous Apple flagship, or pony up a few more $ and get the actual best.

Feedback Score
    Too big, too pricey.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    The XR has a compelling price since it's about the same price that I paid for the iPhone 7 an 8 Plus, but at 6.1" it's just not going to cut for me. I'm trying to get a compact device which packs a punch, without the weight and size. I avoided the X because of "The Notch", no Touch ID and wanted Apple to workout kinks with the OLED screen. Also, the colors for the XR are less than desirable...I have always had the gold versions of the iPhone 6S/7/8 Plus.

Still not a fan of "The Notch", lack of Touch ID...or the price. The only reasons why I'm even considering the XS is the eSIM and non-biggie size.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    I thought it would be a hit, until I saw the pricing. It's $750 for a barely over 720p screen. Yes, there are people who strictly go with screen size and nothing else, but most folks can clearly see a difference between a regular LCD and the well made and tuned OLED panels. I just feel the LCD didn't need to be edged displayed for the 'base' model and nothing is gained because it's clearly not as close to the edge as the OLED ones are. And the panel is one of if not the most expensive part.

Really the only other big one is the cameras and a few pre-review notes on it show it's blowing even the X out of the water. And the sad thing is, the Xr has the capability on the CPU/co-processor side to handle pictures but without the extra hardware it'll be ehh. And is the lens the same as the XS line - I don't recall.

I just feel a $250 difference at that range isn't impulse changing. If I'm buying a $1,000 laptop or a $750 one, I'm doing massive research and will extend the budget if I'd gain much better screens or much better capabilities (Picture taking which people almost solely do on their phones now).

Given the 7+ and 8+ are cheaper now, with the same screen tech, and actually have 2 lenses, I'd be hard pressed to recommend the Xr. Either truly save and get a previous Apple flagship, or pony up a few more $ and get the actual best.
    The pricing is right in the middle of what Apple was charging for the 8 and the 8+ when they first came out. If you need more than 64gb, with the XR you can pay an extra $50, which will double the storage to 128gb, which will be enough for most people. With the XS, the only option after 64gb is 256gb, which costs $150 more. If 128gb would be sufficient for your needs, then the price differential between the XR and the XS is actually $350.

Also remember that the XR's battery life is going to be the best of the three new iphone models, which is something that makes an enormous difference to a ton of people.

The XS' dual camera is better (primarily for zoomed in pictures), but it depends on what you do with your camera. If you just use your camera to post casual pictures to social media, you're going to see very few, if any, differences in picture quality. On the other hand, if you are a serious photographer, you aren't using a smartphone camera for important photos anyway.

According to the early independent reviews, although the OLED screeen of the XS is better, in real world viewing you are only going to notice the difference in side by side viewing, as the XR's screen is still excellent.

So, for a lot of people, the XR is not only going to represent a much better financial value, but will give them more of what they really care about for everyday use (a larger screen than the XS, which can still be used with one hand, which is not something that most people can do with the XS Max; and significantly better battery life than the XS and the XS Max).

New and better iphones are released once a year, so all the exciting improvements of the XS and the XS Max will very quickly be replaced by the latest improvements of the next model. So, I wouldn't get too carried away by the technical differences now, which will all be obsolete in 12 months, and focus on the features that'll make the biggest practical difference to you.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticsteel View Post
    The pricing is right in the middle of what Apple was charging for the 8 and the 8+ when they first came out. If you need more than 64gb, with the XR you can pay an extra $50, which will double the storage to 128gb, which will be enough for most people. With the XS, the only option after 64gb is 256gb, which costs $150 more. If 128gb would be sufficient for your needs, then the price differential between the XR and the XS is actually $350.

Also remember that the XR's battery life is going to be the best of the three new iphone models, which is something that makes an enormous difference to a ton of people.

The XS' dual camera is better (primarily for zoomed in pictures), but it depends on what you do with your camera. If you just use your camera to post casual pictures to social media, you're going to see very few, if any, differences in picture quality. On the other hand, if you are a serious photographer, you aren't using a smartphone camera for important photos anyway.

According to the early independent reviews, although the OLED screeen of the XS is better, in real world viewing you are only going to notice the difference in side by side viewing, as the XR's screen is still excellent.

So, for a lot of people, the XR is not only going to represent a much better financial value, but will give them more of what they really care about for everyday use (a larger screen than the XS, which can still be used with one hand, which is not something that most people can do with the XS Max; and significantly better battery life than the XS and the XS Max).

New and better iphones are released once a year, so all the exciting improvements of the XS and the XS Max will very quickly be replaced by the latest improvements of the next model. So, I wouldn't get too carried away by the technical differences now, which will all be obsolete in 12 months, and focus on the features that'll make the biggest practical difference to you.
    See, but at the end you hit the nail on the head.

The $250 price difference for a 'so so' model isn't a huge change, at these prices.

If one phone was $250 and the other $500, yes, sure. That would be huge and the $250 model would sell to so many more people.

When you're closing in on $1000, I don't feel saving $250 is a huge 'savings' to get a much lower quality product (in my mind). I'd still argue the display is a huge gap - even outside, inside, watching youtube in the car - a good LCD is noticeable compared to a good OLED. Also, zooming on a camera is big... yes I have a very nice mirror less camera and a few lenses to change out depending - that is with me a lot. It hasn't taken even 1/4 the pictures I have with my phone. People are caring more about camera's, hence why the XS and Pixel 2 have made huge strides to take accurate, quality pictures from the get go.

It's like a car. It's $17,500 for the base trim. If you upgrade to the Grand Touring package costing only $1,000 more you get A/C, cruise control, power windows, power locks, center arm rest, etc. Yeah sure it costs more money and it's a 'gotcha' thing, but rolling an extra $1,000 over the life of a car for a lot of true bonuses (but none essential to the function of a car), most people would opt for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    See, but at the end you hit the nail on the head.

The $250 price difference for a 'so so' model isn't a huge change, at these prices.

If one phone was $250 and the other $500, yes, sure. That would be huge and the $250 model would sell to so many more people.

When you're closing in on $1000, I don't feel saving $250 is a huge 'savings' to get a much lower quality product (in my mind).
    It all depends on your priorities. People's priorities are all obviously different, so while you keep emphasizing an OLED screen and better camera zoom, other people will emphasize the XR's significantly better battery life, a larger screen than the XS (which still allows them to use it one handed, which most won't be able to do with the XS Max), and a $250-$350 lower price (depending on the capacity).

There's a reason that even Apple is projecting the XR to sell significantly better than either the XS or the XS Max. There's nothing wrong with any of the models, and it all depends on your priorities.

I'd still argue the display is a huge gap - even outside, inside, watching youtube in the car - a good LCD is noticeable compared to a good OLED.
    Again, it all depends on how you use it. There are plenty of people, for instance, who use their iphones as an exclusively business device and rarely, if ever, watch any videos on them. Email looks the same on an LCD or an OLED screen.

Also, zooming on a camera is big...
    Personally, I haven't zoomed in on an iphone photo in years. Different strokes for different folks.

Phone
    too many to list
    Carrier
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think the xr is an good choice is you have an older model iPhone or even the iPhone 8, the lcd on. Iphones have always looked real good even at 720p and the xr has something above 720p and the so called new. Type of lcd I don't see anything wrong for the screen ape giving people and apple is really not known to give choices

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 on Verizon Wireless
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Phone
    OnePlus 6, iPhone XS Max
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's not 720p, it's 828p actually.

You'll still get the 1080p option on YouTube just like you can get on the very old iPhone 4, despite the erroneous reporting of some technical reviewers.

No matter the screen size, it's still 326ppi, and it's still a very sharp screen and arguably will be the best LCD display in any modern smartphone.
    iPhone XS Max | OnePlus 6
    www.blueearlbrewing.com

Feedback Score
    It's tempting to say, what's another $250, but it represents a 33% premium, for a smaller phone. The XR will display the same amount of information as the XS Max (414 x 896 pts), as well as supporting the landscape modes that the XS does not.

Apple is said to have adjusted its forecast, with the XR accounting for 50%+ of the unit order mix.

In the end, only Apple has the real metrics of iPhone sales, and is best positioned to know which way the wind blows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast